What discontinued food, snack, or drink do you miss the most?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sonak, Apr 17, 2013.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

ooo, if you're an eggnog fan, you have to try the stuff that Southern Comfort makes. It's the best I've ever had.
    Not in any store in my area.

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Forgive me if someone answered these already. Can I blame it on the pain meds?:nyah:

One word: Lawsuits. More words: Originally, the words "Caution: Filling is HOT" were not on the box; then someone sued & McDonald's put it on the box; then some idiot got burned anyway and-- you guessed it-- sued. In the mid-90s, McDonald's switched to a baked pie which was "healthier, because it is not fried" and cooled more rapidly after baking due to the slits cut in the crust (cannot do that with a fried pie). I watched the video created for franchisees which explained all this, back then. One of my friends is the local franchise owner.:devil:
    See above explanation.
    http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/p-484-barrel-of-cheese-balls.aspx
    I get them at WalMart locally for $5.48 each. The grandchildren and my best friend's children love them. I recently discovered that Bestie's kids will ONLY eat them at my house... along with peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. True story: she bought them for kids & they refused to eat them. She brought the barrel to my house & kids ate them up... go figure!:cardie:
    http://www.hungry-man.com/products/
    This is what satisfies my occasional craving for fried chicken TV dinner.
    In North Carolina they are sold in most ABC Stores (run by Alcohol Beverage Control board).

As for me, I do love the Mint 3 Musketeers bar, although I rarely ever eat candy.

I recently found a store that carries my favorite candy from childhood: Claey's "Old Fashioned Hard Candies" Sassafras and also the Root Beer barrels.

McDonald's Big Mac. Don't laugh... in the mid-90s McDonald's started RMS (Regular Menu Staging). Instead of cooking them fresh, they pre-cook the meat & put it in a staging hot box. When ordered, the sandwich is assembled & boxed, then placed in a microwave. :cardie: Unless you know someone who owns a McDonald's (and he's in the store, and he's in the mood:vulcan:) you can still get one made the old-fashioned way... mmmm... heaven on a bun!!!:drool:

Wendy's French Fries... before they switched to the new kind, which are nasty. Wendy's screwed up perfection on this one!:techman:

Old Coca-Cola. After New Coke's disaster they reformulated to make Coke Classic which is sweeter than Good Ole Coca-Cola. I miss it. All colas made now are too sweet to me... even diet colas.

While they may be available elsewhere, I don't have access to one: A & W Root Beer Stands. It was a drive-in (think Sonic before Sonic) where you could get a Root Beer in a frosted mug. I've tried numerous times to re-create it, but nothing tastes the same to me.:wah:

p.s.- Awesome thread!

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I thought they looked like dog turds. And didn't taste a whole lot better.

4. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Gino Ginelli tutti frutti ice cream.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

MEGA Stuffed Oreos. Amazing.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

- Oh!s Cereal

- The Breakaway Bar

- Kraft Spaghetti Dinner

- Hagen Dazs' Brownie Popsicle

:lol:

Does it have more filling than Double Stuf?

[Edit] I see that it does. Looks like it was a limited edition product too.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

You can still buy them online. I'm pretty sure.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Nabisco Mystic Mint cookies.

Edit:

You could always go to the source, but I suppose that might not be geographically convenient for everyone.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Paul Newman's Light Italian Salad Dressing. That stuff existed in it's own unique realm of tastiness.

11. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Heck yea :techman:. Loved that stuff, none of the caramel coloring crap. Don't mind Pepsi with sugar in it, but could do without the caramel coloring.

Spearmint and Peppermint Skittles :). Loved those and still wish that they made them.

12. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really?

Explain how you know the part in bold face!

13. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

come on, who among us haven't gotten a little curious, and been walking in their neighborhoods, when the opportunity presents itself, we reach down, look around to make sure no one's looking, and...

or was that just me?

14. Sector 7

How did I miss out on that one? I love Skittles... yeah, I know, being diabetic they are off limits... but, every once in awhile they make a great morsel of yummy-ness. :techman:

Looked today & could not find 3 Musketeers Mint. I think this thread jinxed me!:klingon:

Not sure why, but when I crave sweets, only dark chocolate or mint... preferably both, are what satisfies me.

15. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I miss the fudgesicles that Trader Joe's used to sell. One day they disappeared, never to return. Also, the chili flavored frozen fruit floes. They were sweet and spicy. Delicious! Then one day they too disappeared. Me very sad. :(

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Pearson's Mint Patties are my jones as far as chocolate & mint goes.

I did love those mint 3 Musketeers too, seems like they came & went a couple times.

17. Sector 7

Russell Stover has a sugar-free version, but the taste is only so-so. Around here, York Peppermint Patties are the go to. Klondike Bar makes a York Peppermint Patty version which is quite good.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

While not necessarily discontinued. I had a friend once who loved the soda Big Peach, but he couldn't find it anywhere. He finally found it once in some out of the way gas station and savored the hell out of it...ah who I am kidding, he probably polished off the case in one afternoon.

19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had a Murray Brothers candy store in our mall some 7 or 8 years back, before the entire place became a wasteland of shattered dreams and bottom market housing, and one of the neatest things they had were their own sugar free peppermint drops. They had creme in the middle and dark chocolate on the outside, and they were delicious. They were expensive, so they were a rare treat, but they were so good!

20. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

not technically discontinued, but my uncle can't get bottles of weed-infused absinthe through customs anymore :(