Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So spinning out of the news that Lucasfilm has been bought by Disney (see thread in TV&Media) is the news that they plan to release episode 7 in 2015.

What should it be about?

And how will the fanboys react as it (and this is an if at this stage) drives a big wrecking ball through their extended universe?

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't be worse than the PT... Maybe a lessened direct role for GL will be a good thing. Don't care about the EU, hasn't done Trek novels any harm to not be canon.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I have a bad feeling about this.

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Or just simply NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    :D

5. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

How the EU fairs is a fascinating question. I'm just now reading the Thrawn Trilogy in comics book form and thinking what a great movie it'd make, but given the ages of the principle actors for the original trilogy, that probably won't work. Plus I understand Harrison Ford has written off the idea of ever reprising Han Solo. I personally was never into the whole Yuzhang Vong business or what have you.

On the other hand, the Clone Wars cartoons have been vacuum packed liquid awesome (IMHO) so there's certainly potential for Disney to do it right. I, for one, enjoyed what they did with Tron Legacy. Though it'll be weird seeing a Star Wars movie start out with Cinderella's Castle instead of the 20th Century Fox searchlights....

--Alex

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Im in shock that Lucas would sell out to Disney, please wake me up from this dream.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah Bloomberg was reporting this, and I went to tell my grandma, a huge Star Wars fan.

I rather they stop The Clone Wars cartoon, make a cartoon that takes place after Episode 6 and then go right into a new trilogy.

8. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

No doubt after the Emperor was killed the Ewoks in the new Disney [fied] version of the franchise will rule the universe, sing songs and generally all will be generally well.

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Kill me now!!!

The Mayans were right! the end of the world is upon us!

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

WTF?! Is this for real?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Lucas selling it to Disney has been a rumor that has cropped up on Disney sites for months. Did not take it seriously but thought it was possible.

The real surprise is a another movie and having a release date already!!!! Maybe they will be drawing ideas from the books, because they would need to start shooting this SOON to make that date.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

For all we know, Lucas has sat on a script for a while or they have had a script waiting in the wings while working out a deal.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should go for the gusto and recast the OT characters, and pick up right where ROTJ left off.

Luke - no idea, let me think about that
    Han - crazy idea, how about Michael Rosenbaum
    Leia - don't need to think about this at all, it's Jennifer Lawrence
    Lando - Anthony Mackie

The EU should be treated as Trek treats its own EU - possible inspriation, not holy writ.

The Clone Wars TV series should be continued indefinitely and if Ahsoka survived/survives to the post-ROTJ era, she should be played in the movies by Angela Bassett. :D

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Well, they sure aren't wasting any time, are they?

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

On a more positive note and from a business perspective this move virtually guarantees Wars a permanent and immortal place in film and entertainment.

edited to add: unlike other movie studio's e.g. Universal - Disney has a huge theme park in Asia and Europe.

Not only does Disney own a huge film division but Wars will now have place in their world-wide theme park operations and on ABC television which they own as well.

While Fox owns a TV network they don't command entertainment interests that would give wars a home in one or all of their theme parks.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The new Star Wars movie will also be know as Avengers III: Vader vs Iron Man

What the fuck..

17. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dennis Quaid could play Han. He looks more like Harrison Ford now than Harrison Ford does. :p

Fanboy casting -- Nathan Fillion as Han.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The good: Lucas not directing or writing.
    The bad: Disney in control of who directs and writes.

The unknown: how this will affect current licensed tie-ins like the MMO and cartoons.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Disney successfully brought back The Muppets. Surely Star Wars can't be that difficult to manage! :p

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

On the upside, this opens the possibility of finally seeing the theatrical versions of the OT restored and released. Disney must know there's a market out there for it and they don't have the personal stake in keeping them locked away that Lucas does. Wouldn't that be a treat.