JMS adapts Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jan, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I mentioned it in another thread but noticed that the word doesn't seem to have found its way over here.

On his Facebook page the other night, JMS confirmed that he's optioned and written a screenplay for Harlan Ellison's '"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman". The screenplay has been completed and has been sent out to studios, directors and producers with Harlan's blessing.

Harlan's never allowed this story to be optioned before, despite numerous reprintings and (I believe) a comic adaptation.

Jan

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Bring on the jellybeans!

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Five bucks on the table right now that this does not make it to the screen without a Harlan tantrum of some variety.

:)

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting. I saw this reported the other day and was curious about it.

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use this joke a lot, but you all owe Harlan royalties for even mentioning him. :shifty:

6. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

It's been years since I read that story; now I'm going to have to go through my HE collection and find it to read again. I don't recall it all that well.

I like Harlan's stories; I hope this can translate well to the screen.

7. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm sure the story's been reprinted many times in other collections, too, but I re-read it in the Essetial Ellison when I read the news. There are a few anachronisms but I think it should translate well for today's audience.

Jan

8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

fascinating... :vulcan:

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Awesome.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Not quite the same thing, but you can see Harlan reading part of the story (in a very entertainng manner) on the DVD for Dreams With Sharp Teeth, a documentary I highly recommend to anyone who is interested in ellision, or just writing in general.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pfft, that's far too easy.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Interesting. I've never read the short story but I quick glance at Wikipedia tells me I need to fix that.

I'm not surprised that Harlan let JMS to adapt it simply because they worked together on Babylon 5.

13. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Just went through my collection and found it in Alone Against Tomorrow, 1971, Collier Books. Moving it to bedside for a re-reading.

14. Christopher

I dunno... 10, 15 years ago I would've been intrigued by this, but I'm not sure JMS has still "got it." But if he stays as faithful to Ellison's words and story as possible, who knows? And the original item says the screenplay is finished and has Ellison's blessing, and past precedent (i.e. his 44-year-long temper tantrum over "City on the Edge of Forever") suggests that he wouldn't be happy with a script that didn't cleave closely to his vision.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Well he recently managed to write a film that landed itself a fair number of awards and nominations and his latest graphic novel literally flew off the shelves, so his career is hardly floundering. :rolleyes:

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Liked the movie, but its rare that Eastwood does a bad one. The graphic novel wasn't very good. His original work is what I usally find lacking.

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

What movie? I didn't know he'd done any screenplays as of late.

18. Christopher

I forget the title, but wasn't it that Angelina Jolie film based on a true story, the one where her missing son was "found" and it was an impostor or something?

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Changling.

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The graphic novel (Superman: Earth One) has been in the top 5 NY Times Best Seller list of graphic novels for 14 straight weeks, mostly in the top one or two. 158 days so far in Amazon's top 100 best selling comics and graphic novels.

Jan