Farscape - anything I need to know?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by backstept, Feb 17, 2009.

1. HighteeHeller

HighteeHeller Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be Braca. He's one of my faves.

2. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

Just seen Dog with 2 Bones... wtf?

The two parter before that was cool

3. Admiral Rem

Admiral Rem Commander Red Shirt

Farscape, as noted in previous posts, is an acquired taste - but a unique take on what a space based sci fi adventure could be. The characters definitely make the series. Most of them change over time, which is a credit to the show's legacy. It took risks, some paid off, some did not. However, a show that can make you feel for muppet characters like Rygel and Pilot is a rare thing. Believe me, Rygel and Pilot recived more development as characters than most live people get in other tv shows of the that era.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is easily one of my favorite episodes, but it took watching it a couple times to realize it. You reeeeeeaaaaaaally have to pay attention to every bit of dialogue to figure out everything that's going on.

5. marplanauta

"What was lost" 2 parter... that was terrible

I´m on Promises now, improving! I still can't stand that old lady and don't know why they don't explain where she came from

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"You rescued our lifepod after the command carrier imploded. I'm no longer a prisoner because of you. So when the others left, I stayed to repay the debt." ~Old Woman (whose name you don't know yet), Dog with Two Bones

Newbies always seem to miss that line.

And I actually enjoyed "What Was Lost," but not until I watched it for a second time.

7. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That two-parter is actually one of the most important, pivotal stories in the entire show. It's just you don't realize it because it's all done through this weird drugged-up dreamlike haze.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Quite true.

One of my favorite things about Farscape is that you have no idea how important certain things are until it's too late. I noticed this especially with season 4. A lot of people claim the first half of Season 4 isn't that great, but it does so much that you don't even notice to set up the rest of the season.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While the Old Woman was annoying at first, in the second half of the season she became one of my favorite characters.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Totally agree. Once she and Sikozu start behaving as a part of the team, they both become much more enjoyable characters. At first, they're new and weird and not necessarily trustworthy, so it makes sense for us not to like them as much.

11. HighteeHeller

Oh that is so true, and why you need to watch season 4 a second, or even third time to catch it all.
    Season 4 has some of the best writing, very nuanced, and if you're not paying attention you will miss it. Unfortunately the new characters throw you for a loop and you need a few episodes to find your bearing. That's why i think many miss the importance of, especially, 'What was Lost'.

Damn it, every time i read these threads i end up watching the series again.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I know. I skipped most of Season 1 and started watching "Nerve" the other day. I think I'm just gonna pick and choose my favorites from each season.

The problem is, when I get to Season 4, I'm pretty much going to have to watch the entire back half because it's such a long, complex arc.

13. HighteeHeller

^ya that's about where i start watching it from as well. I like watching the arc episodes the best and tend to avoid the stand alones. Tho, crackers dont matter i can watch over and over again.

14. marplanauta

I understood the theme of What was lost, about the connection between Humans, Sebaceans and Interions, but the rest of the two parter was just boring and had no rythm

15. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

It's a very crowded field - so many great episodes - but "The Choice" is probably my favourite 'Scape ep. Claudia Black was just extraordinary, even by her standards, and the ep just works for me on every level.

Yeah, she took some getting used to. :lol: Melissa Jaffer is a marvellous actress, though, which helped me get past her character's eccentricities pretty quickly. (Never got used to Sikozu, though; the only 'Scape character I simply cannot stand.)

Damn, now I want to watch the series again, too. :D

16. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

I hated the "What Was Lost" two parter. In fact I didn't care for very much of early Season 4, though the season premiere itself was good.

And with regard to the women who were added to the cast in Season 4.....I actually like Sikozu, but strongly disliked both Noranti and Grayza. Grayza really was a ridiculously conceived character.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Grayza was something of a take on Blake's 7's Servalan.

http://www.hermit.org/Blakes7/SevenCyc/S.html#Servalan

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The "What Was Lost" two parter wasn't very good I would agree but it introduced some interesting plots. I hated Grayza, really felt blatantly exploitative. In retrospect I wish they'd made the first half of S4 a little more coherent as they originally were going to do (they show some of those cut scenes in the Previously Clip at the start of WWL1).

19. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can probably offer good advice because I just recently finished the series myself. Farscape is definitely an eccentric show, and in a lot of ways, it differs from conventional science fiction. I recommend doing what others have and watch every episode in order ... preferably without large time gaps in the viewing. Personally though, I don't see how many couldn't like it because it succeeds on a number of levels: comedy, action, drama, suspense, etc.

The one thing that impressed me above all else about the show though was the central romance. Typical shows pissed me off with their 'will-they-won't they' routine, but Farscape totally turned that on its head and actually built the central premise around the love story between the two leads. Consequently though, this is also where you might not like it because the show does place such a high priority on space romance.

Unfortunately, it's hard to suggest episodes to sample because so much of the show is interwoven with plot theads. It really is a serial more than a standalone program.

However, my personal season one favorites are:

-A Human Reaction
    -Throne for a Loss
    -Jeremiah Crichton
    -That old Black Magic
    -Family Ties

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've just finished the "Look at the Princess" trilogy, as well as "Beware of Dog." Just the final set of season two episodes before I move onto season three, which I remember very fondly.

Anyone know about the Webisodes yet? I read on IMDB that they have yet to be scripted, but they've been ordered for a while, and I was under the impression that the latest comics were designed to lead into them.