Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah it's really hard to say which way they're gonna go with that, but all the Ilia, Xon stuff, etc. has been seen so I hope its more than that.

But the average fan doesn't probably even know about Phase II and "The Child" and "Devil's Due" connections so it could very well be that.

2. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A new interview for everyone - I spoke to David S. Grant and Ryan Adams, the execs overseeing the TNG-R project, and discussed everything from project history to sales figures to Season 2 to the future of Trek HD. Here's Part 1:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/cbs_adamsgrant1.html

3. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Cheers mate! Great interview and really informative I was surprised at how candidly the execs spoke about the project.

One of the things they said was that CBS asked them to release the following amount of seasons per year: 2, 3, 2. Does that mean we are getting 3 seasons released in 2013 and will have them all by christmas 2014? Also given this schedule will they continue to work with two teams after season 2 is released?

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They probably have to keep using two teams in order to get that amount of work done. If CBS Digital couldn't do two seasons back to back, how can they do three, when the VFX get more and more complicated with each season.

5. FrontierTrek

That's the plan, yes! Seasons 3, 4 and 5 next year followed by 6 and 7 in 2014.

The seasons are divided between the two teams, CBS Digital have the odd numbers, HTV Illuminate have the evens.

Glad you enjoyed it! Some GREAT stuff coming up from Ryan & David!

6. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Today Oct 4, the BBFC listed two supplements for season two---audio commentaries for 'Q Who' And 'Measure of a man'

'Measure runs 57min in the UK speeded video system, so right about 60 minutes in length (or 15 min longer than the standard episodes.

'Q Who' was the usual 45 min.

More supplements will no doubt be added to their site in coming days.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad next year might be a 3 season year. It would seem to me that the more recent they get, the easier the task becomes (Not to mention the know-how to actually do it) but they really seem committed to bringing out the best possible product (Even with the audio issues). Still, it will be great that we don't have to wait till 2015 to get the entire series again and things might speed up.

Just curious, are you going to get into the special features conversation at all, like putting together the TNG documentary? I ask because if there was one thing that slightly disappointed me about the last interview is there was really no talk about the extras. Don't get me wrong, I loved the last interview, but if these guys are overseeing the entire project, will it be more general based questions?

8. FrontierTrek

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another great interview, thanks!

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool news about the 3 sets next year. I was worried it was going to take them 4 or 5 years to finish the entire series. Lol

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Probably more like summer 2014. If they release each season 18 weeks apart (there will be 19 weeks between S1 & S2), the schedule would look like this in the U.S.:

Season 3: April 9, 2013
    Season 4: August 13, 2013
    Season 5: December 17, 2013
    Season 6: April 22, 2014
    Season 7: August 26, 2014

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then I should have all the seasons I'm interested in by the end of 2013. :techman:

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Really? I thought season 6 was pretty good. :lol:

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Thanks for pointing that out. Though, I suspect that the actual running time of the extended "Measure" is exactly what the BBFC states -- that is, 57:31 -- even though they have that proviso about a 4% PAL speedup at the bottom of the page. The reason I think this is because the Star Trek: TNG Blu-ray's are the same 24fps everywhere in the world... so PAL speed isn't an issue.

So it's almost exactly 12 minutes longer than the broadcast version. I'm sure the "hybrid extended cut" is longer, however.

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The costume worn in the PII test footage wasn't a LOGAN'S RUN outfit — 'tho admittedly it was similar to that elk of 70s sci-fi ware. The red jumper was a utility uniform designed by Bill Theiss, who was designing additional uniform options to go along with the reuse of the original series costumes in PII. That farmer john overalls came in all three department colors and were sold a few years ago at auction.

Some of those auctioned off are now in the hands of the fan film series, STAR TREK: PHASE II (nee NEW VOYAGES), and was seen worn by the guest actors in their adaptation of "Blood and Fire."

17. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

So I'll have my favourite season, Season 6, by mid 2014. Seems a long time, but I'll have 4 seasons (3 great ones) to fill in the time!

18. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that isn't the big surprise. I'm interested in TNG, not some aborted series from the seventies. That said, I'd have been happy if the big surprise had been the interview with Muldaur.

19. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to agree. I honestly dont really care much about seeing Phase II special features. Would much rather have more special features about the actual show I am purchasing.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Phase II stuff could be interesting if it has stuff like a table read of a script or test scenes that feature the main actors.

If anything like that actually exists...

TNG owes much of its structure to the groundwork laid by Phase II.