Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old June 12 2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Shatinator
Commander

Random Re-booting desktop HP--HELP!

Hello,

I own a HP computer Pavilion Elite HPE i7 core blu ray player and burner. Today it started it reboot by itself with out warning, over and over. Sometimes it was useable for 15-30 minutes and then would reboot by itself. This happened once weeks ago and then nothing until now.

Any clues please help!
Old June 13 2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Re: Random Re-booting desktop HP--HELP!

Have you tried booting it into safe mode? When the computer first starts, you should see an option to hit "ESC" for a boot menu. Then go into that and select to do SAFE MODE with NETWORKING. See if that helps. If it does, then you may have a faulty driver (perhaps video) or, you've gotten some unscrupulous virus.

Before this started happening, was there anything unusual or different that took place, like perhaps an unusually long Windows update?

Lastly, there are many ways to troubleshoot such problems. I strongly suggest visiting the "SevenForums.com", as they've got excellent troubleshooting tutorials as well as very helpful members who are often able to lend useful advice.
Old June 13 2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ It's F8 to get Windows boot options (like safe-mode)? The boot menu is usually about order of devices to boot from. Or are HP's really that back-asswards?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 01:57 PM   #4
MacLeod
Admiral

Yeah I thought it was F8 as well, one of my lap tops started to reboot crash to blue screen without warning. I ended up having to restore to out of the box.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 06:24 PM   #5
The Keeper
Commodore

Has the heat sink/cooling fan been cleaned recently?

Just last week, mouse freezing requiring a reboot, or sudden random reboots every few minutes started occurring. I was puzzling over what it could be when the light bulb went on - it's overheating.

A thorough cleaning of all the cooling hardware fans/vents/slots, a fresh bead of thermal grease and problem solved. I was surprised when my tech-guy told me how often common PC issues are caused by lack of attention to cooling elements.

Warning, do not open your PC case if you don't know what you are doing. Take it to a shop for a cleaning.
The Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Yeah, sounds pretty much exactly like overheating. Your cpu's heatsink has probably come lose and has limited or no contact.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Check you Event Viewer under Administrative Tools to see if there are any system error events popping up before it reboots.
Old June 15 2013, 02:39 AM   #8
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Or just boot to your bios and see what temp your CPU is running at.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old June 15 2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ It's F8 to get Windows boot options (like safe-mode)? The boot menu is usually about order of devices to boot from. Or are HP's really that back-asswards?
No, you are correct. F8 is used to get into the Windows boot menu for selecting things like SAFE MODE. ESC is used to get into the diagnostic menu for things like running hardware checks and editing the BIOS.

I didn't really flesh out my thoughts all the way. Here's what I would do:
  • Hit the "ESC" button and then when presented with a menu, select what's available for hardware diagnostics in your computer. You should be able to run a test to validate various things like memory.
  • When the computer is in this constant rebooting mode, try F8 to get to SAFE mode and see if it can fully boot. If it can't, then there's most definitely a hardware related issue going on.
  • Does the computer feel like it's hot or uncomfortably warm? If so, perhaps it is overheating (although that's usually more of a problem for laptops than desktops). There could be a few causes for it, like compromised heat sink or decayed thermal contact material. Do you have a high powered graphics card installed?
  • Let your computer sit for a few hours, then when you boot up and can get to the desktop, download a temperature monitoring utility. There are plenty of free ones available for download. When running, if your CPU or GPU is tending to jump above 90C, then it may very well be an overheating problem. You may have an option to control your inboard fan at the BIOS level--I'd select it to always be on.
Old June 16 2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

The BIOS will have a temperature monitor in it, which is where any software would be getting it from. Just boot to the BIOS.
Old June 16 2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Metryq
Captain

This constant rebooting sounds like BATMAN syndrome.
Old June 16 2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
The BIOS will have a temperature monitor in it, which is where any software would be getting it from. Just boot to the BIOS.
Yes, that information could be retrieved in the BIOS, but it's rather inconvenient when you can have a system tray icon that is reporting to you the actual temperature moment to moment without the hassle of rebooting...
Here's one: Open source Temp Monitor
Old June 17 2013, 01:16 AM   #13
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

The BIOS will give you an idle temperature. If it is overheating in that state then you immediately eliminate all the software possibilities.