Chancellor Martok in the Litverse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kilana2, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Martok was doubtless one of the most interesting characters DS9 had to offer.

I was surprised when I saw that J.G. Hertzler wrote a novel about Martok together with Jeffrey Lang: The Left Hand of Destiny (I+II). The German publisher is not inclined to translate it, which is a crying shame. I have ordered it (at exorbitant prices) and read it several years ago. It was great, like an episode playing out in my head.

According to LHoD we know that Sirella has died. I don’t know anything about Klingon mourning rites, but he could pick a new wife if he were inclined to do so.

Martok had as chancellor already his hands full. Morjod’s coup, the Borg incursion, the Kuvagh Magh issue and so on…..

I hope that Martok shows up at least once in a while in the upcoming novels, as he did in the Typhon Pact novels. More scenes on Qo`noS are much appreciated.

Any Martok fans here? :klingon: :klingon: :klingon:

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge Martok fan. I would love to see another Martok centric story like LHoD. Has it ever been established if there is a term limit for Klingon Chancellors? He's been in charge for a while now and I have to wonder how much longer his reign will last.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I totally dig Martok and wish KRAD was writing about him right now :klingon:!

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

K'mpec served for a few decades if i'm not mistaken, so term limits probably aren't their thing. The older a Chancellor gets though, the weaker he may seem to potential rivals (i.e. TNG's 4th season episode Reunion).

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I always assumed a Chancellor can reign for as long as he chooses - I suppose he can step down if he wants, but otherwise it lasts until a challenger kills him.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're a fan of a huge Martok? Hmm... Maybe Dr. Keniclius could arrange something... ;)

7. Kilana2

Azetbur was assassinated, If I'm not mistaken. Was she the last female chancellor? Being Klingon chancellor comes with certain risks and ones life expectancy is shortened, but it offers an opportunity to die in a challenge or to defeat ones opponents honorably. :klingon:

Another Lost Era novel could be a possible solution as to further Klingon stories. But Lost Era is about the past. I think further Klingon stories are too specific at the moment. There is still a lot of Klingon history to be covered, and KRAD would definitely be the man. Current events aren't focused on Qo'nos, I'm afraid.

I also like Klag, son of M'Raq and his I.K.S. Gorkon. With the Gorkon novels still lying ahead of me, I still have something to looking forward to. :)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

One thing I like about Klingon chancellors is that they can assume command of ships and lead attacks personally if they wish. :techman: :klingon:

9. Kilana2

Another way to die in a blaze of glory. ;)

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

K'mpec held the chancellorship for 21 years; the longest reign over the empire in recorded history (for whatever degree that means anything with the Klingons, since today's recorded history might well be substantially different from last week's. Still, it seems likely that most reigns are a lot shorter than that). Of the known rulers, Azetbur is coming in second, actually, at 18 years. Martok's been on the chancellor's chair for just over a decade now.

11. Deranged Nasat

I love the scene in which K'mpec assumes the chancellorship. :D

As for recent Martok appearances, his single scene in The Poisoned Chalice was a show-stealer. One of the most memorable parts of the novel.

12. Kilana2

I love the scene where Worf defeats Gowron to secure Martok's chancellorship. :klingon:

13. Deranged Nasat

"You will not have this...day...."

14. Deranged Nasat

Of course, if we're discussing Martok in Trek lit, and The Left Hand of Destiny in particular, we must acknowledge the portrayal of the character as Klingon King Arthur. :D That duo of books went out of its way to be an Arthurian piece, really. Even if it was a little too obvious sometimes (Urthog).

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was that in The Art of The Impossible, or Serpents Among the Ruins?

16. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Martok really sums up what it is to be Klingon, more so maybe even than Worf, and I also hope to see more of him.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I'd just like to jump in here and point out that the last post and poster caused the forum list to contain this phrase:

"Chancellor Martok in the...
    Disco"

Now THAT I'd like to see. :klingon: :guffaw:

18. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

That was the whole point of The Left Hand of Destiny! :D It's a shame that hasn't been so followed up on, outside of Krad's briefly-living novels...

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I believe that Azetbur was the last female chancellor. Per TNG women were no longer allowed to serve on the High Council as of the 24th Century.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Even though, in "Reunion," Gowron offered K'ehleyr a seat on the Council if she backed his candidacy. But then, Gowron always was a hypocrite.