Superman:Unbound and Flashpoint DTV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Superman: Unbound" is the official title of the adaptation of the previously reported "Superman:Brainiac" storyline. I'm starting a new thread since the other one was misnamed and went off topic considerably. Also as previously announced "Flashpoint" will be scheduled for fall 2013. It will be called "Justice League: Flashpoint". We also got confirmation that the DTV's will continue beyond 2014.

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2...-animated-universe-original-movie-2013-slate/

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't understand how the Brainiac adaptation works, since that was just a prelude for the New Krypton mega storyline. They're just going to end it with the restoration of Kandor?

3. Admiral_Young

Unless they are indeed planning a New Krypton adaptation for 2014. They could also make it a stand alone story easily and cut out the New Krypton stuff. It will be interesting to see what they do with this.

4. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Matt Bomer as Superman is a good choice. There are some who think he would be good as a live-action Superman, and I think he could pull it off, though he's a little short for it. The others are good choices in terms of talent and popularity, although Brainiac isn't a role I would've expected John Noble to play. Come to think of it, though, the calculating coldness he projected as Walternate on Fringe could be a good fit.

Hey, this will mean that four of the regular cast members of Castle will have played DC characters -- Nathan Fillion as Vigilante, Spy Smasher, Steve Trevor, and Hal Jordan (plus the Flash and others on Robot Chicken), Stana Katic as Lois Lane, Susan Sullivan as Queen Hippolyta, and Molly Quinn as Supergirl.

I'm not pleased by what the article says about the music -- "not orchestral at all," driving guitars and percussion. I don't think I'm going to like that.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have almost lost any interest in these movies. They pick the most generic stories to adapt. More and more stuff from around the last 5 years. Superman has 75 years of stories to choice from. The art work is what made this story standout from any other Brainiac story and they are not even using it.

Also the novelty of the ever changing voice actors has worn off. Its nothing against the actual actors. Usually they are people I have never heard of. When you have movies less than 90 minutes which are mostly just action and visuals there is not much for them to do. So they are not memorable at all. They could randomly change around all these Superman voices and it would really make no difference.

7. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry to see they're not using the Frank art, but I wonder if the similarities to Reeve and Kidder would be problematic licensing wise in a video production.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not really liking the Superman design they went with there. Although I will say Lois and Supergirl look pretty cute.

9. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it works on its own as a self-contained story between Clark and Brainiac.

10. Christopher

Heck, just about any comics storyline these days leads into the next storyline or builds on elements of the previous one. That's just the nature of the medium. Films are a different medium, so the stories have to be changed to be more standalone. There's nothing new there.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really looking forward to Unbound. Castle, White Collar, and Fringe are some of my favorite shows, so I'm really excited about the cast.
    This will be Stana Katic's second DC production, she was Talia al Ghul in Batman: Arkham City.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly I think computer tech used in making films is getting to the point where that won't be a problem anymore.

13. Christopher

I think a Superman movie is going to demand enough elaborate VFX without going to the unnecessary trouble of altering the main character's height. I mean, it's necessary for something like Captain America where the hero undergoes a major change in physique in the course of the story (though I still think they should've hired real Little People to star in the Tolkien movies), but for a Superman movie it makes more sense just to cast someone who's got the right build for the role.

Or else just not worry about it. Hugh Jackman's a whole foot taller than Wolverine is supposed to be.

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Superman: Unbound sounds like it has potential. The storyline was decent and an animated version might add to it. Flashpoint, however, why? That was a very disappointing mini-series, and epitomized the problems DC had prior to the New-52 (the problems DC had after the New-52 is a different topic ;)).

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hmm, an adaptation of Snyder's Batman Court of the Owls would be a pretty cool DVD movie.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

If you get rid of the general plot and just focused on the world went wrong angle and throwing the spotlight on a Justice League of very different personalities (Thomas Wayne, Cyborg and a very different Marvel against evil WW and Aquaman), it would certainly be a more serviceable story.

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I heard the Batman mini was good and I enjoyed the Superman one. They had some interesting ideas, but the overall execution was horrible. Hopefully, they'll be able to make it better for the movie.

18. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed - or a novelization like "No Man's Land" had.

Kevin Conroy had stated he'd done work for Flashpoint so I wonder how many of the voices will be from the DCAU work.

19. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't be surprised if we did get an Court of Owls DTV. Flashpoint came as something of a surprise when it was announced last year.

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect that the reason that we are getting Flashpoint is because DC is real ls really eager to push the new 52 into other mediums. As it currently stands none of the current ancillary materials correspond with the New 52. I'm sure that DC is eager to change that.

NO ONE outside of DC's corporate offices was demanding to see Flashpoint.