Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Because a doctor/European dictator/sorcerer swearing revenge on his college lab partner is plausible.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Sure. Why not? Marvel made a talking tree and raccoon work, and that's far less plausible than what I just quoted.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind that that is what we know so far--there could very well be much more back story that we haven't been told yet.

4. Awesome Possum

I'm just saying it isn't any sillier.

5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

New Thing image

[​IMG]

6. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Crap, that's effective.

7. Myko

Myko Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doom is
    1) A European dictator
    2) An old acquaintance of Reed

They're somewhat difficult to combine, and 2 is the one that makes most sense for a movie drama- and story-wise, but 1 is one of the things that makes Doom cool.

8. theenglish

You could combine it but it means that Reed should be going to a pretty elite university. Doom is royalty from some small fictional East European country. His family's status doesn't mean much any longer--the country has a democratic government. But Doom believes that he should be the ruler--perhaps he blogs about politics.

If we get a sequel, Doom can have taken back his rulership between movies thus avoiding an entire supers movie about political machinations and politics. ;)

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It occurs to me that in the 1960s, there were a lot of Eastern European dictators, but today, not so much. Belarus seems to be the only dictatorship left in Eastern Europe, though a few others like Russia might count in practice. So the idea of Doctor Doom as an iron-fisted Latverian monarch is perhaps an anachronism. Maybe it makes sense to update him to fit more modern concerns, like Internet terrorism.

10. Awesome Possum

I love it when he refers to himself in the third person.

11. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Doom is Darth Vader's father.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, now that Disney owns both Marvel, and Star Wars that is not completely out of the realm of possibility.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And they laughed at Shatner's rock monster idea.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Except FF is owned by Fox.

15. Christopher

No, only the movie rights to the FF are licensed by Fox. Marvel, and therefore Disney, still owns the characters. They wouldn't be able to do an FF/Star Wars crossover on film without Fox's cooperation, but there'd be nothing preventing it in the comics.

16. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

It seems someone released the new trailer early

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcNTCoxD8g[/yt]

17. Christopher

^I think that with all the leaks these days, studios are just going to have to give up on trying to postpone trailer releases.

"We should use these powers to help people." "We are stronger together than we are apart." Not exactly thrilling me with the originality or subtlety of the dialogue. And the actors didn't impress me too much either, not from what I saw in the trailer. It's all very subdued.

Still, it looks like it could be an interestingly novel take on the premise. The dimensional-travel thing seems like a good way to retcon their origins. Was that maybe the Negative Zone?

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    This looks awesome.

19. theenglish

It was the Negative Zone. From the trailer it seems that this is taken entirely from the Ultimate Universe version of the FF.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

At 1:04 someone needed help on adding some music or something to those sad jump cuts. :) EDIT: ignore this, I don't know wtf is going on but I could've swore those didn't have sound when I first watched this...

Seems to be an expansion of Trailer 1, I hope there's more to it than the few dark set pieces or is that a budgetary thing? Just feels like it could use more scope but that might just be a problem of the trailer not the actual movie.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015