Advice please for an author of fantasy fiction

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by K'Ehleyr, Jan 23, 2013.

1. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

So I work in a bookshop and a lovely young man (20'odd)comes in, who has written and published a book. He asks if we would stock it ~ we are a chain, we can't make those decisions.
    It is fantasy fiction and he basically needs any fantasy fiction site links to advertise it on and spread the word.
    Do any of you geniouses (what is the plural of genious?) have any advice or avenues he can explore. We're UK, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    He is a lovely guy and I want to help.
    Many thanks,
    K'Eh

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it original work?

3. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't sound like he's published yet. If he were he'd probably have a publisher to handle this kinda stuff.

This day and age the best option might be so self publish as an ebook which is fairly easy to do via Amazon.com or Apple.

If he wants to be in a brick and mortar store though, that's a lot harder. He could try some independent bookstores (if they still exist) or otherwise try to get an agent and submit manuscripts to publishers. Obviously they get thousands of those from would-be writer every day. Tough to break into.

4. K'Ehleyr

Yes it's original work.
    Oh it's published, I have a copy of the book ~ it has an ISBN and as per. a copy is available in The British Library. It's available on Amazon. Endless Tides by Sam Leeves (mod I'm not advertising ~ just asking for help). He just wants some links to fantasy fiction sites to spread the word.
    If anyone knows of any?

5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I'm looking at his publisher's page and they seem to have mostly a marketing plan to just promote online. Which is not a terribly well-rounded plan, I'm thinking.

Be that as it may, I'd suggest him contacting Amazon directly and seeing what they will do (if anything). He should find out from his publisher whether Amazon has an exclusive. If they don't, then the book could be listed at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ or http://www.abebooks.com/ I suppose.

He should also Google book review blogs and possibly sci-fi and fantasy blogs and see if he can get his work reviewed by others who have followings.

6. K'Ehleyr

Thank you Jespah, I will forward that to him. :)

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    If he could get it reviewed on LibraryThing, that would certainly spread the word.

8. K'Ehleyr

Thank you Timewalker.