DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It can't even hold a candle to Morrison's run never mind stuff by O'Neil, Engelhart, or Dixon. It's the definition of overrated.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a huge fan of Morrison's run, but I generally agree. Snyder is overrated, and I found Court of Owls (where I jumped off the book) to be the worst Batman story I'd ever tried to read, with the exception of Batman RIP. :shrug: Right now I read Batman Eternal and Detective Comics to fill my batman needs. Snyder is one of the writers on Eternal admittedly, but there are so many stories going on having one or two bad ones still makes the book interesting enough, and he's not involved with Detective Comics at all. I have nothing against Snyder, but I'll never understand the praise his Batman run gets.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Put me in the camp of those absolutely loving Snyder's Batman run. Zero Year was fantastic and Capullo's art looks amazing.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greg Capullo...I was only previously familiar with his "Spawn" work...and right from the preview pages of "Batman #1" I fell in love with his art. Sndyer's run is right up there with Morrison for me personally. I called him the heir apparent way back when Grant was winding down and so far Snyder hasn't let me down.

I admit to not being too fond of "The Court of Owls" but I loved how he returned Gotham as a character into the mythos and started rebuilding and building it's history again...really since his and Kyle Higgins "Gates of Gotham". Everything I've read since "Court of Owls" has been absolutely fantastic (even though I'm behind a bit).

5. Savage Dragon

I have been a fan of Capullo since his run on Quasar back in the day.

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Court of Owls quite a bit, although it did drag on too long. It was a great re-introduction to the character for me. A couple of years ago I went back and read the Morrison run up until RIP and thought it was pretty good too--but (and I know I'm in the minority) I enjoyed his Action Comics run much more.

7. Hound of UIster

Batman RIP works better if you realize that his original run on Batman was suppose to end there and that Hurt's origins were left unexplained (though implied to be the Devil). Then all the stuff with the Black Casebook becomes clear with RIP being another Black Casebook type adventure that he goes through, but that he can't explain.

8. Admiral_Young

9. Savage Dragon

I was just looking at that over at CBR. I can't say the preview has me chomping at the bit to see more.

10. Savage Dragon

I just finished reading Batman Eternal #31. Alfred got to be pretty bad-ass in this one. I like it!

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

"Vegatative Injustice"--LOL!!
    So that's Swamp Thing it appears in that panel but it does not appear to be him on that alt cover.

I like the cover of WW with the shield and sword. That's poster worthy art right there.

I'll miss team Azzy as well even if I am a few trades behind I've enjoyed up through vol.4

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Finch's Wonder Woman looks like a 15 year old :wtf:

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah, his Diana does appear to be younger looking for some reason. I'm really not looking forward to this at all. I wanna give it a chance but feel like it's gonna be meh compared to the Azzy run.

14. Savage Dragon

It's too bad they left the book. It seemed like they had a lot left to explore what with Diana being the God of War and all.

15. Admiral_Young

Yes and from the upcoming solicits...I get the feeling that the Finches are going to abandon that storyline and her title as Queen of the Amazons. This is all about returning Diana to her previous status quo and making her more book wide accessible. So I get the feeling the Finches have been requested if not flat out ordered by editorial to undo Azzy and Chiang's run, at least as much as possible.

I do understand this. One of my few gripes with the book is that I wish we got to see some of Diana's past before their run (during their run) and interacting with the Justice League...but it really worked well as a self-contained book that it wasn't really a huge problem for me. I did love their origin tale for her in secret origin.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

While there may have been a push to incorporate Wonder Woman much more into the DCU than it was previously, the Finches aren't going to pretend that that the Azzarello/Chiang run didn't happen and will even revisit some parts of it in the future.

"The first thing I did was read through Brian’s run and think about what were the things for me that I relate to, and what do I want to develop farther. Brian has written such a complex story that there are always little pieces I can pick up, so what are those pieces and how can I weave them into a story I can tell. That’s how I approached. I had my own idea of what I wanted to do, but I love that I have a rich universe to draw from..."
    --Merdith Finch
    http://www.craveonline.com/comics/i...e-interview-meredith-david-finch-wonder-woman

17. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everyone should read this week's Multiversity: Pax Americana. Apparently it's a Watchmen-like story, but with the original Charlton characters, and CRAZY.

18. Hound of UIster

The editors supporting the Finches are different from the ones behind the Azz/Chiang run. Chriss Conroy who edited this, Soule's Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing as well as Lemire's Green Arrow I believe is working on the Batbooks now and Matt Idelson left DC because of the move. The new editor(s) is mostly the one who runs the Justice League books, which is why they are pursuing greater integration with the rest of the DCU. Unfortunately imo Brian Cunningham is just a terrible editor. His previous work is mostly known for excessive editorial mandates and relying exclusively on superstar creators. He imo is the one who keeps giving Finch work at DC and who allows him to blow deadlines such as with the case with Forever Evil where Cunningham then lied and pinned all the delays on Geoff Johns.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's almost weird how stand alone it is. It's been the only New 52 book I've been reading, I'm up to Vol 3., and honestly reading you could easily forget that it even takes place in a shared universe with other superheroes.

20. Admiral_Young

Well sure they have to revisit it in order to undo it ;)