Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When she slowly pulls back her Jedi hood and reveals her identity the audience will gasp and cheer.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I know I'd let out a whoop.

32 years since the last time we saw Leia Organa? Fangasm.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will tear up for sure.

4. Slurms MacKenzi

Slurms MacKenzi Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In all honesty, I'm about 100x more excited about EpVII than I ever was for EpI, given the likelihood of old characters returning. It's a childhood dream come true.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the exact opposite for me. Nostalgia is the Anti-Life Equation.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there was that report a few years back about Ford being offered a truck load of money to come back for 7,8,9 which he turned down.

7. Slurms MacKenzi

Perhaps for some. For me it's the Sacred Grove. And FWIW, Star Wars has nostalgia in its DNA.

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I seem to recall an interview some years ago, well before Indy 4, where Ford said he'd rather play Indy again than being Hans Solo in a new movie

9. The Mirrorball Man

Ah, but it's Lucas' nostalgia, not mine. I don't have any fond memories of old Republic serials. Anyway, Hollywood, with all its remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies, is showing alarming signs of decadence, and that's no one's "Sacred Grove".

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  10. Slurms MacKenzi

Well, I don't disagree in general. The Spider-man reboot was particularly absurd, IMHO. But nostalgia isn't the driving force--it's cynicism and formulaic pandering.

Also, there's some irony in complaining about "remakes, sequels and toy commercials masquerading as movies" in a Star Wars thread on a Star Trek board.

11. The Mirrorball Man

The irony is not lost on me, but just because I comment on something doesn't mean that I have to embrace it wholeheartedly.

12. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Maybe but I wonder how he'd feel about playing HAN Solo instead?

I mean....come on.

It's NOT 1978.

I am sure we ALL know it's HAN Solo by now.

13. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Put me down in the Harrison Ford will return camp. The guy is at a point in his diminishing career where he'd do anything for a nickel.Also, I've been looking forward to the sequels waaaaaaaaay more than i did the prequel trilogy. With the PT, we had a very good idea of what the entire story would be before hand due to the clues dropped throughout the OT. With the sequels, we reallly don't have a clue other than Luke is gonna be in the Obi Wan role. and that lack of knowledge makes me giddy.

14. The Mirrorball Man

Hey, it's great that you're feeling giddy, but I don't agree about the prequels. The OT didn't leave us that many clues. Major elements of the prequels' plot, such as who or what the clones were, who fought the Clone Wars, who was the twins' mother, how the Republic turned into the Empire rather than being defeated by it, and many other things, were complete surprises.

15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mirrorball Man is right. Not only did we not really know what would happen in the PT, most people assumed that the Clone Wars - per the name - were a war fought against clones. I don't know where a sequel trilogy will head, but the prequel trilogy had the initial hook of 'here's where Darth Vader came from and here's how he fell.' The sequel trilogy - now that Vader and the Emperor is dead - is more of a blank slate as to what exactly it's gonna be about.

Which in fact is a charge that has been levelled at Star Wars since the original film, and even - along with Jaws - has been accused as the film responsible for ending Hollywood's 1970s Renaissance by retreating into empty Golden Age spectacle.

Star Wars has been part of the vanguard in the commercialization of film franchises (compare the series to say Planet of the Apes where the budget was slashed for the sequels on the assumption that sequels inevitably had diminishing returns) so this is really par for the course here.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because he's so strapped for cash?

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

He has 3 films in post production for slated 2013 release and another in pre-production.

Not sure I'd call that schedule "strapped for cash".

18. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT!! Ford may not be the draw he was in non-Indy related roles, but he is a quality actor who will always have plenty of movies to do. I enjoyed him in Cowboys vs. Aliens, though I know I'm in the minority there... I have an idea he's been smart with his money and has the luxery to take the roles he finds interesting/challenging.

While I'd love to see him in the new SW movies, my money is on Luke... Don't care how minimal Mark Hamill's career has been post Star Wars... I'm really looking forward to the "de-cloaking" reveal we all know is going to happen.. Nerdgasm indeed!!

19. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

He is a nice and humble guy he probably has enough wealth not to worry about the future.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Hans Olo is so much more cooler.

[​IMG]