Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Attendants of the Las Vegas Convention this year ranked the films.
    http://badassdigest.com/2013/08/11/the-star-trek-movies-as-ranked-by-star-trek-con-goers/

Thread about topic here
    http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=222553

To which Simon Pegg replied "fuck you" to the haters of the film.
    Video here http://collider.com/simon-pegg-nick-frost-the-worlds-end-interview/

Orci lashed out in response to a completely different article on Trekmovie. However he brings up Simon Pegg's fuck you statement. I assumed he saw the ranking of STID at the Vegas Con and wanted to address the haters on a broad scale with his fuck off comments.

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yet another reason why it's a mistake for writers to engage with sci-fi fandom, ever. Reminds me of the world of shit that RDM took from the Battlestar fans over the years for daring to be open about his writing process.

BUT HE DIDN'T PLAN EVERYTHING BEFOREHAND, WAAAGGH!!!!!!!

Bottom line: internet fandom is a morass of shitty, petty people. It's best to ignore them because no one looks good after an internet bitch session, not the writer and certainly not the fans.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, just what is it with those guys. They knew the fanbase was very vocal. Now some of them don't like the film and the writer reacts all butthurt. That's hilarious.

And the "You don't like my film. But the film made a shitload of money. So go fuck yourselves!" attitude is extremely classy.
    I also love when he resorts to "That's why I'm writing movies and you don't." What a horrible attitude. He may be rich and successful, but he's still an asshole.

Rick Berman heard way worse criticism during his time with Trek, and he never resorted to anything like that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I work a job that involves dealing with the public, I can understand the desire to simply snap off and scream "go fuck yourself" to anyone you perceive to be an idiot, so I suppose one can not really blame Orci for his outburst, in principle. He is after all only human.

Although, he should know better than to be interacting with internet fandom. The internet is nothing new, it's been around. And many producers of various shows/movies have tried their hand at interacting with their fans online, and it rarely turns out well. Internet fans bask in the sense of anonymity being online provides and don't hold back from their criticism. And in some cases, they intentionally act ruder than is necessary. This is well known and well documented. Indeed Orci himself has been dealing with Trek fans for five years now and has spent close to a decade with internet fandom in general thanks to Lost. He should know what to expect and develop thicker skin.

If this were 2006, when Lost was starting to lose its appeal and Bad Robot first got involved with Star Trek, I could excuse this outburst as an honest reaction to not knowing what to expect online. But now, he should know better and if "Fuck off, fuck you, go fuck yourself" is the only way he can deal with fans, he should withdraw from interacting with the fans. It makes him look a childish amateur, especially compared to Brannon Braga who can laugh and make jokes about his reputation among Trek fandom.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course people will put his quotes out of context so if you never read that site you have no idea about the way some people talk to him as if they were talking with their 14 years old buddy. For what is worth, I've read other comments by him and he had always been polite even with people that didn't like the movie. But if you are talking with immature entitled kids you either ignore them (best option tbh) or you use their own language and put them to their place.

This kind of things are a reminder that writers and cast shouldn't interact with the fans so much because when they do it can't end well. It's better to keep some boundaries and distance.
    Look at the recent wank over Zachary Quinto saying that he doesn't like slash fanfiction.
    A lot of people got offended by him expressing a personal opinion when really if someone is being rude and disrespectful is the fans that feel so entitled to keep asking him if he likes fanfictions where he's depicted in sexual situations with one of his best friends.

6. wjaspers

wjaspers Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Orci has a bad attitude, which you all will come to know in the future.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^What happens in the future?

8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^^ Isn't it obvious? The next Star Trek movie Orci writes will be called Star Trek Revenge on the Fandom. Another TWOK inspired flick where Orci will either subtly or blatantly rip in to the detractors of his work of Star Trek.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Everyone knows what he meant. Your correction is unnecessary and verges on spam. Please don't spam.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's because Rick Berman had very little passion for Star Trek. For him it was a job, for Orci it is something that he has obviously loved for a really long time.

I would have told the venomous fans to go fuck themselves too.

11. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is It confirmed? Is he real Bob Orci? There is a fake Orci in TrekMovie.

In this case, I think it is odd, to say the least, that Orci should behave in this way.

Of course, there are people who dislike this movie and people who find it very good.

I thought that he were used to it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was an incredibly douchey thing to say, regardless of whether you like his work or not. However, if I have the right to say Orci can't write scripts for shit, then he has the right to criticise my posts.

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

It's official, I miss Brannon Braga. He was a schmuck, but at least he was a gentleman, and not some buttmad juvenile asshole.

A Hollywood screenwriter becoming upset over a fanboy rant on the internet? Classy Bob. Real classy. :rolleyes:

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Have any of you complaining about Orci ever spent a lot of time reading the comments on TrekMovie? Not all bad, mind you, but yikes...

There's a reason I spend more time here. :techman: I only wish more "Hollywood people" would interact with their fans as much as Bob Orci has.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

His issue was with the article initially. Getting upset over comments is twice as stupid.

Someone should really get him to join here. It's a much better environment.

16. DalekJim

Getting upset over internet comments is fine. It's his repugnant, elitist opinions on success that bother me more. He's spitting on any writer that isn't famous, and judging screenplay quality purely in financial terms. Undeniably a twatish attitude.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I didn't read it that way at all.

But it might help some of these people to actually go through the rigors of writing a screenplay before they go spitting on the work of others.

18. DalekJim

How convenient.

So fucking true.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Braga got in trouble with internet fans by saying some of them are "12 years old". You can read it in the below article (which btw was co-written by me, SteveK tried to recruit me to be an editor at trekweb in those days but I declined)

http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/2002/04/16/1018955036.html

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Rick Berman was never an avid poster on comment sites and bulletin boards. Maybe if he was he would have had the same reactions Orci occasionally does, instead of being able to give controlled, civil interviews months removed from any specific insult that might make you angry, and with an opportunity to carefully consider your words in a neutral setting.

Orci's reaction is no worse than the one you give above, calling him an asshole, but he's being held to a higher, unreasonable standard just because he's a writer, as if that negates the fact that he's also a human being who gets frustrated by being attacked. It's part of the fandom entitlement complex, thinking that they should be able to mercilessly insult whomever they want and god forbid if they get a taste of their own medicine in return.

It's also amusing how quickly you change your tune when it comes to celebrities you don't care for. In the past you've advocated for us to hand out warnings to people who insult celebrities who aren't even posters here, but hey, I guess if they wrote a movie you didn't like, that cancels everything out, huh?