Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know how true it was to the comics, but based on Avengers: EMH I'm looking forward to this.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think an Ant-Man movie is worth doing, unless Pym has to overcome some measure of insectophobia to become a superhero. Bugs and the ick factor will be issues that marketing will have to contend with, to the degree of defining how much the film fits in with the same science fiction/horror genre as The Incredible Shrinking Man, Them!, The Fly, etc. (but not Mant!, because that comes from another universe).

Why not fold that problem into the premise of the movie in the first place?

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm kind of stunned that Marvel is giving Ant-Man his own movie. What's so great about Ant-Man? His origin story seems so boring.

They should have started the next Avengers movie with him and Wasp already on the team. No need for origin stories. We just need one line about Hank giving himself and Jan powers.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

or him deriving his powers from hers...

as for the multiple Ant-Man part, Wright's only ever said Pym and Lang. Notice that the first quote upthread said the article writer's fave was O'Grady.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I had never even heard of Ant-Man until the Avengers movie came out and people here started talking about the character. The more I learned about it, the more I wanted to roll my eyes. There's really nothing here that I want to see.

Now, obviously, my opinion is welcome to change, especially once we start seeing trailers...but for now, meh. Weird hero to make a movie about.

6. CorporalCaptain

Ant-Man and the Wasp were original members of the Avengers in issue #1.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Okay...?

8. CorporalCaptain

Point being that given the intention to develop the Avengers as a movie franchise, Ant-Man and the Wasp are obvious characters to develop too, since they're part of the property from issue #1.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Perhaps. I'm just saying that, from what I've seen, Ant-Man is an odd character to give his own movie. I don't see him having mass appeal.

Again, I could be proven wrong.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I wonder how much of it is Marvel pushing for an Ant-Man movie on their own and how much of it is an established talent like Edgar Wright pursuing Marvel to do an Ant-Man movie. If Wright decided to do something else instead I doubt that Marvel would continue to pursue the project.

FWIW, I like what has been done with Hank Pym in recent years by Dan Slott and Christos Gage. He is currently one of my favorite characters.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Ant-Man's powers are kind of lame compared to those of the other heroes we've seen so far, but there's no question that he's an integral part of the Avengers, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Wright interprets his powers on the screen.

I'm really not sold on the Scott Lang idea, though. Hank Pym should be the main character; he's the primary Ant-Man and the character best associated with the monicker.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Unless the movie franchise simply decides that he's not. We just seemed to have a pretty successful Avengers movie without him.

13. CorporalCaptain

Very true.

Someone on the board pointed out, rightly so, that one of the breakout characters of The Avengers was Black Widow; who would have thought? But that's because her part was very well conceived.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The thing with all these comic book movies is that they have decades of material to draw from. You can make an X-Men movie with any combination of mutants and it would probably work. The Avengers can be treated in much the same way.

I would love to see more Black Widow. I had no real opinion of her in Iron Man 2, but I thought she was a great addition to The Avengers.

Frankly, I'd love to see another female superhero be added to the mix. Let's throw someone like Ms. Marvel in there.

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Eh, that's true. I'm not really the biggest Ant-Man fan, myself, but Marvel's done such a good job with their movies so far that I'm interested to see how this one turns out.

I agree with you that it'd be nice to see another female added to the group. One positive to featuring Hank Pym as Ant-Man is that he'd most likely be packaged together with Janet van Dyne, the Wasp. But I'd like to see Ms. Marvel, too.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Ant-Man and Wasp are pretty much the Aquamans of the team. Their powers are silly and they don't have very interesting origin stories. Ant-Man even talks to insects like Aquaman talks to fish. While I like the characters, I'm not sure how well a movie with those two will do.

Aquaman is infinitely more popular than Hank and Jan, but JLU still replaced him with Hawkgirl.

Of course, they could go an entirely different direction with this movie. Blade was pretty forgettable in the comics until the Blade movie producters turned him into a badass daywalker vampire hunter played by Wesley Snipes.

17. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always liked Ant-Man. I think having the film focus on two Ant-Men is a good idea, it provides a bit of a different dynamic to other superhero movies. It'll be interesting to see who the cast as Wasp, I really enjoyed her character in Avenger: EMH.

18. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think I expected him to be treated like Hawkeye and not get his own movie.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

If Marvel Studios wants this movie to do well, they can't give this movie a large budget like the ones they have been giving all their superheroes lately.

An Ant-Man movie that costs 150 million would fail, but one that cost 50-70 million could be a success.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that the films budget needs to likely be in that $75m range +/-, absolutely no more than $100m at the most.

The dynamic that by including Pym, and another Ant-Man, is that in an Ant-Man sequel or Avengers film you could then have Pym assume his other most famous identity of Giant Man (I like Goliath better as a code name) while Lang or O'Grady is still Ant-Man.
    Giant Man could come in handy in a situation where Thanos is at play and as much muscle as possible, maybe two fronts, is needed. Hulk and Thor busy on one front with Giant Man at another.

Pym also ends up creating one of the most deadliest pieces of AI out there named Ultron. An ever evolving sentient robot whose first brain patterns were that of Pym, making him at his core a twisted maniacal Pym in some regards. Ultron goes up against the Avengers a number of times.

So having Pym allows for these avenues to be opened up within the MCU.