Spoilers Destiny: Lost Souls by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by nx1701g, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Grade Lost Souls

1. Excellent

72.3%
  2. Above Average

19.0%
  3. Average

6.7%
  4. Below Average

1.0%
  5. Poor

1.0%
  1. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

That wasn't actually what I meant by what I posted (that it was over because they defeated their greatest enemy). To me the last chapters of Destiny were what Trek was all about, sticking to your ideals and exploring what it means to be human. The Federation stuck to what it was founded upon and a new era is upon them - the undiscovered country to borrow a phrase. The small gathering between Crusher, Dax, Picard, Riker, and Troi was a perfect ending for the 24th Century Trek series in my opinion.

But, as I also said, I doubt that I'll stop reading. It was a momentary thought (to be honest I picked up both Myriad Universes collections this evening and I'm already starting on The Chimes at Midnight).

2. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Finished this last night in, around 24 hours after I bought it. The only time I do such a quick Trek read is with a New Frontier book. Enjoyed it, and was glad to see Erika got a lot more to do in this book.

One other thing. I kept expecting Wexler to be a Borg agent or something with all the mentions he got in the trilogy!

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Borg agent?" The Borg don't really do covert infiltration. I mean, hell, if they had the capacity to assimilate the entire Federation government from within the Palais de la Concorde itself, I doubt they'd hesitate to use it....

"I am not Nanietta Bacco, I am 1 of 8, Primary Adjunction of Unimatrix 037. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Unless the Pike City Pioneers beat the Cubs."

Besides, why wouldn't the lead agent responsible for personally protecting the Federation President get mentioned a lot? He would by definition be a constant presence in her life, wouldn't he?

4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

Well the Borg had changed in the books going from assimilation to annihilation so anything is possible. Plus I have no idea who the main bodyguard in the West Wing was even though he was in every scene. (And I don't mean Agent Butterfield, but the otehr guy who went everywhere with Bartlett.

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

All I can say about this series of books is I sure am glad the MACOS were eleminated from starfleet. What a useless, stupid, unthinking, group. Perhaps the writer just used them to show how much humanity had to grow up but they sure were dumb in this series of books. All I can say to illustrate my point is this. Hey we landed on an arctic island in winter lets leave the relative safety and warmth of the crashed city and go live outside. Brilliant!

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I am so glad I finished my coffee.... :guffaw:

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy to help.

BTW, glad my advocacy for your assuming the vacant New York Senate seat made your list of memorable moments in 2008!

8. adamczar

adamczar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know I'm late to the party, and most of what I can say has already been said but thought I'd make a posting if for no other reason than to let the publishers know that one more person is enthusiastically reading.

I've been a casual Trek reader, so when I picked up Destiny I really didn't know what to expect from it. I had read most of the novels leading up to it, and found most of them pretty average and enjoyable, and then when I started Destiny it all clicked in that the novels (and most of the TV show, even... I KNEW there had to be a way to end the Borg that wasn't genocide) seemed to be leading up to this.

For example, the ongoing character rotations on the Enterprise's bridge was getting to me. It felt like each author would bring in a new senior staff member only to have them killed off and replaced by another character in the next novel, like each author was giving the finger to the previous one and doing things their own way.

How wrong I was, in that it was all a continuing theme of Picard and Co. finding a crew that "clicks". I was so thrilled that Chordhury and Kadohata, especially, made it through alive. Kadohata, in fact, has become a favorite, as has Chen. And as much as I didn't like T'Lana--I realized, as I read her impending death and found that I had a lump in my throat, that her character arc was complete and moving and it was a nice send off to a staff member whose tenure was brief but profound. It seems the Enterprise once again has a crew that clicks, and I hope they stick around.

I'm now eagerly awaiting the next novels, though, as a side note, I do see a valid point in that this would serve as a perfect grand finale for Trek. Don't get me wrong, I'll be first in line for the next installment--I'm simply saying that if, for whatever reason, TPTB said "no more Trek books after this," I'd be content. Disappointed as hell, but content.

And so, to me, as much as Destiny was a complete story in and of itself, I think the stories leading up to it were just as important, and my hat goes off to all the authors, editors, and publishers. It is evident that a lot of time, effort, and passion goes into these books... they are not just "out to make a buck," and I say a heartfelt "thank you" to all involved who continually honor the true spirit of Star Trek.

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I havn't read it yet, but I did have a voice mail informing me that Lost Souls was a ready to be picked up, so I'll hopefully go out and get it in the morning if I'm still not full of flu!

10. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Just a quick "thank you" to adamczar; your comments sum up exactly what I was going for with the trilogy. It pleases me to hear that you feel I succeeded in that aim.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just realized that I finished this a couple weeks ago and never said anything. I really really loved this whole trilogy, it was definitely one of the best Trek stories, hell one of the best stories period, that I have read. I know some people had some issues with some of the plotlines, like the Deanna one, but IMO I thought it really made for some good character based drama. I was also kinda glad to see the scene between Riker and Vale, not because I want Will to cheat or anything, but I've always thought that there seemed to be something between Rike & Vale, and I'm glad to see it sort of addressed.

One of the other things that alot of people had issues with was Ezri and the Aventine. I know some people thought that Ezri should not have been a Captain, but it's been 4 years since the DS9R, and the reason given for her being in command. I also didn't mind her attitude as much as alot of people, I really think it seemed in character, and wasn't really that horrible given the situation.
    I know alot of people also had problems with the way Picard was acting, but I really think given his experiences with the Borg the he acted and felt made perfect since. Especially since this was the first time he had run into them while he had a family.

I know that there have been several different versions of the origin of the Borg, and from the bits I have read about the others on MB, this one was the best IMO. IMO the whole flashback storyline(s?) were probably some of the best, and most interesting parts of the storyline.
    I also really loved the way that the Borg were finally dealt with in the end, it was definitely the most Star Trek way for the Borg to be dealt with. Even though it was a book I really fealt that the visuals for that were awsome. IMO if they were to do a Destiny movie trilogy, it would be worth the price of admission for that scene alone.

So that is pretty much it for me. Other than to say that I can't wait to see what happens next, the Post-Destiny
    would it be to early to call them Typhon Pact?
    books.
    10/10

Wow, this was actually going to be my short post befor my long one tomarrow morning, but I think if I were to get longer I would have to write a whole book.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  12. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

^ it would be really nice if you put a line between paragraphs, as it is, that post is really hard to read.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok done. Sorry about that. Like I said, I was gonna just do a quick "I liked it, more tomarrow", but once I started typing I just couldn't stop.

14. adamczar

Sorry to ask this--I have a hard time remembering every detail in books I read. Can someone refresh my memory, I'm sitting here thinking about it at work so obviously don't have the book next to me.

Why, again, did the Caeliar super-civilization send that feedback pulse to cause all the destruction in the first place? Was it simply because they had figured out that it needed to happen to keep history going, or was there some other motive?

Thanks in advance.

15. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ Self-preservation. If the destruction didn't happen, that civilization (which remember, by the time the explosion came around on the guitar again, were a millennia-old civilization whose existence went back to the proverbial dawn of time) would never have existed. Basically, they were closing the other end of the time loop that started their civilization's existence.

16. adamczar

^ Thanks for the refresher. I figured it was something like that. Kind of like Skynet sending a machine back to be reversed engineered to start their own existence. (I know that's not a perfect comparison but it's shares some similarities.) Trippy. :techman:

17. Cut

Cut Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have finished the reading of the Destiny trilogy today. I enjoyed the books quite much. Lost Souls was a real page turner, I read the book on a single day. Thanks for some enjoyable hours your books provided me and a thumbs-up from my end for managing to have all things Borg-wise fall into place so nicely. My favorite move being element 010. Nice one! :borg:

A lot has already been said about some minor (character) issues. I share some of those (e.g. Picard's characterisation and Dax's attitudes...), but I have one other question for Mr. Mack, concerning something he included in the storyline that I didn't felt the need for:

Personally I can't stand the inclusion of projectile weapons in Star Trek (novels). That is one thing that divides Star Trek from shows like Stargate SG-1. The more 'modern' kind of weaponry used in Star Trek does a lot to show a difference between our time and the more advenced time frame of the series. Things like projectile weapons in the hands of Starfleet is something that doesn't feel Star Trek to me.

My question is influenced by that feeling: Why did you include the friendly fire passage in Lost Souls? That didn't really do anything to move the story further, did it? It came in connection with the TR-something rifles and it simply made me feel reading about a present day millitary engagement than a struggle between Starfleet security and the borg.

So, what made you include this scene? Was it maybe the adressing of the real-life situation with friendly fire, or was it coming from some other direction I can't think of myself? Any answer would be appriciated.

Edit: I came up with another question:
    Where the released borg drones given a choice? Wheather to become Caeliar or not? Of course, once set free most of the drones would panic and falter, but there had to be some drones freshly or newly assimilated.
    I mean what about drones that actually had only been members of the collective for a short time? Couldn't it be that some of those actually might not want to switch over from being borg to being Caeliar, but instead would wish to regain their individuality and freedom like Picard or Seven (sort of) have managed before. Do I make any sense here? :)

Did this come up in the book (and was overlooked by me [entirely possible!]) or will it maybe come up at a later date, in one of the follow up books?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Fictionwise still doesn't have Lost Souls. I picked up my eBook copy from BooksOnBoard.

Anyway, as for the Destiny Trilogy, all I can say is Thank You David for such a thrill ride. I look forward to seeing how Destiny has shaped the Star Trek Lit Universe.

19. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

While I can't say anything about the friendly fire thing, the reason they used projectile weapons was because part of the boarding plan requried that they use energy dampners probably to0 diable the Borgs personal shields and for other reasons and seeing as phasers need energy to work the projectile rifles were the only weapons they could use with out getting really close to the drones.

20. Cut

Cut Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, I understood the in-story reasoning. I just didn't like it ;)