The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You know, I'm not much a fan of that look for Batman's costume. I don't like the bluish gray in it and never been a fan of the look of the cowl/mask in any of the movies.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing the blue grey has to do with it being out in day light. It looks black to me when it's not directly in light. The photo at the top off Sammy's post is the only one where it is visible.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, those are candid photos without the lighting or camera filters that can change the appearance of a costume.

4. Admiral_Young

^ That's another thing I thought about it, great point.

5. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably. Nolan's Batman's a total virgin.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, that's one way to get rid of sexual tension.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Seen in bright light it does look bad. It's way over detailed. But then I consider that that isn't what it's really meant to look like.

It's the same with physical models of sic-fi hardware and ships. Which is the intent: how it really looks like or how it looks like onscreen? Because often how it really looks like can be quite different (at least in detail and colour) from how it looks onscreen.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The Bat-suit is like a stillsuit from Dune.

Everything is absorbed and re-processed.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

With your penis.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Weren't you crying about the new Superman costume from set photos?

11. Trekker4747

Well, my arguments on the costume weren't so much it's detail, or lack there of. But more on the color of the costume in those picture where it's a blue-gray color starkly contrasting with the black cape. But, I grant, that in the movie the costume may look different than it does in a candid photo.

But I'm more not a fan of the sharp angles and surfaces on the cowl/mask. The broken up pieces and panels of the suit itself doesn't look too good it makes the suit look too busy visually instead of it all being one, single, piece that all blends together but I also understand the plot/story explanation for it looking like this (better movement at the cost of being slightly more vulnerable.)

12. Admiral_Young

It looks like a basic Bat suit to me.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes. And I still won't be swayed until I see it onscreen rather than onset stills. I saw Nolan's Batman costume onscreen before I saw onset stills. I still had reservations, but I could live with it because of everything else. Man Of Steel will have to be exceptional for me to overlook what I think is presently a horrible costume.

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:facepalm:

So... you'll bitch about photos of Superman's costume from on set and refuse to change your mind about them till you see them on screen, but then simultaneously defend the Bat-suit because you know what it looks like on screen, even though on set it looks different or bad?

Am I the only one that does NOT see any logic here?

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yes. I wasn't crazy about the Nolan Batsuit when I first saw it onscreen, but I learned to live with it because of everything else in the film(s). The recent TDKR onset shots are the most revealing I've seen of the suit and I 'm just glad it doesn't look that way onscreen...so far. I think the MOS costume is awful presently and I'll see what it looks like onscreen. I might change my mind, but I'm not optimistic.

16. Trekker4747

Circular Reasoning and its finest.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Not at all. It's quite straightforward. I don't like the MOS costume. The movie itself could be awesome and I could still dislike the costume. We'll see.

I didn't care for Nolan's batsuit at first and I still have some reservations, but most everything else in the films has been great. I initially didn't like the first released shots of the Tumbler, but when I saw in action onscreen I was won over and now I quite like it.

18. Trekker4747

The problem comes when people (myself) point out flaws in these on-set photos of the costume and you're all "It'll look different on the big screen, don't judge." all the while saying how much you dislike the candid shots of the Superman costume when, through experience with the Batman movies, you know it'll look different on screen.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't see what the problem is. Nolan's bat suit still gives me some pause even though it does look better onscreen. Green Lantern's suit looked awful onset and onscreen. MOS' suit looks bad (to me) onset and I'll wait to see what it looks like onscreen. It might be okay and it might not.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral