Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, either way, it's not a scene that was meant to be taken too seriously beyond to demonstrate that he's strong and that he is still in the shadow of Captain America.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I thought that a super-strong guy doing football training with a bulldozer was cute, but the Cap reference made me WTF.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that could work. Good one.

4. Alidar Jarok

Why? :confused:

ETA: This is a bit off topic for the upcoming movie. Although I do suspect there will be later events in the season that will actually directly tie to TWS.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Surfin' USA".

6. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Spoiler warning maybe? Atleast when posting outside of specific thread. Not everyone watches all Marvel stuff immediately when they air or are released. Not that this was so important, but there may be more important tie-ins coming up with AoS that not everyone wants to get spoiled with.

Apparently subtitle of the movie in europe(?) is "The Return of the First Avenger" instead of "The Winter Soldier".. How come?

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^It's not a spoiler worth getting upset about. Just a stray bit of dialogue.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

spoiler warning for some random bit of throwaway dialogue from Agents of SHIELD? really?

9. The Old Mixer

Well, everyone was talking about how superhuman Cap could be with the no-parachute jump and all.

I was thinking the teaser of A View to a Kill.

10. Alidar Jarok

OK, fair point.

Yeah, the movies have definitely played up Captain America as superhuman as opposed to just a peak human. I think that's a good thing. He has to compete with Iron Man and Thor, after all. I realize that Black Widow and Hawkeye are more "normal," but they don't have their own franchise.

11. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not to belabor the point, but if Cap were superhuman would he have been so soundly bested in his brief fight with Loki?

12. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Soundly? It looked inconclusive to me, although Loki appeared quite willing to mix it up with Cap and the Widow...and the Widow had the advantage of running the weapons systems on that SHIELD Quinjet at the time.

13. Christopher

What? It's not like there are only two settings, human and superhuman. There's quite a lot of difference between human power level and Asgardian power level, and while Cap's a bit above human level, he's still far below Asgardian levels, let alone Hulk level.

According to Marvel's strength scale, Cap is in the low superhuman range, able to lift somewhere between 1000 pounds and 1 ton. Loki is in the 50-ton range. So Loki's anywhere from 50 to 100 times stronger than Cap, who is in turn maybe around 2-4 times stronger than a peak athlete.

14. Alidar Jarok

^ Good chart. I had no idea Spider-Man was so strong. They also kind of give up at the end. For example, I don't think Iron Man is as strong as the Hulk, but they're in one category.

I think Loki is stronger than a human as well, so I don't think so.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Spider-Man's strength kind of fluctuates, but he usually always manages to clobber Wolverine every time they have a fight, and he took out the entire X-men team in "Secret Wars" except for Xavier.

He's pretty tough, even discounting his intelligence.

16. Christopher

Spider-Man is very strong. He's supposed to have the proportional strength and agility of a spider, so he can lift many times his own weight, and can leap three stories from a standing start. He also has unyielding determination and the psychological ability to push himself past his physical limits, making him effectively even stronger when he really, really needs to be.

17. Alidar Jarok

I've heard that a spider can lift 170 times its body weight. Given that, I would have placed Spider-Man's strength (given a weight in the 150-200 lb range) to allow him to lift 25500 to 34000 lbs (12-17 tons). I guess, doing the math, 20 tons isn't dramatically different from that. I think what bothered me is he was listed as being about the same as Doc Oc, when I figured Octavius would be heads and shoulders above him.

18. The Old Mixer

According to the early, Stan Lee-written Spidey comics, the proportional strength of a spider enabled him to lift 40 times his weight--possibly the best-defined example of super strength in comics at the time. According to the 1980s versions of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe, he could lift about 10 tons, which would be more than double 40 times his weight...though one might explain that as being the result of muscle-building exercise over the years.

Also according to the OHOTMU, a typical Asgardian male could lift 35 tons, as could Loki. Thor was substantially stronger than the typical Asgardian.

I don't get the impression that Loki or Asgardians in general are supposed to be quite that strong in the MCU, but it's hard to tell.

19. Christopher

Thor was able to hold his own against the Hulk, though he needed Mjolnir's aid to do so. And Hulk Is Strongest There Is, according to a reputable source.

20. The Old Mixer

I wasn't referring specifically to Thor, since he's unusually strong even by Asgardian standards in the comics. His strength level in the MCU is consistent with what it is the comics, putting him in the same class as the Hulk. But there's been no clear indication of how strong Loki or general Asgardians are supposed to be in the MCU.