question: Reliant original design realized?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by xvicente, Sep 26, 2013.

1. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Anyone know of someone having made models, pictures or videos of the original design of the Reliant? I guess it's logical, since there are somen models of the Phase II Enterprise flying round in youtube.

you know, this one:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class_model?file=Reliant_original_design_sketches.jpg

If there is none yet, I'd like to suggest the subject for any artists who is reading this.

(I'd make it myself, but I my cgi skills are just: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1k7uhBXcbU)

2. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Your not half bad at modeling, you got the silhouettes down. All you really need to do is model the details, and push yourself to learn new techniques. There are plenty of tutorials on the internet.

I don't know what software you're using, but it's good to know the pipeline for the software.

And you got blueprints! Hence you got really good modeling reference! So why not do it yourself?

Come on, I dare you to do better!

3. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

Much kind. That's POV-Ray, good to make cylinders, cones and spheres. Maybe I'll give it a try, but I dont expect to get photo-realistic images like some things I see around here.

4. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Use blender, it's free. If you can get a hold of it Maya do it. It is a great piece of software, one of the best actually and it's what I use, but it costs anywhere from 500 - 1000 dollars

Edit:
    Again it takes time, practice, and a lot of research. It took me two years of schooling and some contract work to get to my level now, and I bet MadMan1701, Warped9, and whoever else I forgot to mention, a LOT of man hours just practicing and learning to get to their level of expertise. They say it takes 10,000 hours to master something, I've only put in maybe a quarter of that number! (there are multiple disciplines: Modeling, Surfacing, Texturing, Lighting, Rendering, Rigging, Animation. Just to name a few.)

Also for tutorials Digital tutors, has a lot of good stuff for beginners, and the gnomon workshop for the more intense (read: cutting edge) stuff.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

I agree with CJohnson... if you like playing with POVRay, you will be amazed at the stuff you can do in Blender. :)
    Professor Moriarty that posts here used to use POV Ray, and he had some really great stuff that he did in it, about 10 years ago. I was able to find this:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050207060532/http://scottgammans.com/cgi_enterprise/index.php

His posts here were part of why I started modeling stuff. :)

3D isn't something you're going to pick up in an afternoon, though... it does take months, or even years, to feel comfortable. I used Blender for about 8 years before I was even a little close to confident with it. :)

Make more stuff. :)

-Ricky

7. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

I suggest you to try Sketchup, which is free too, and has a fast learning curve. Combined with the free renderer Kirkythea, you´ll produce very good results. ;)
    Blender is a good software, but I think it´s not that easy to learn and produce your own objects in a few hours, which you can surelly do with Sketchup. I´m mainlly a Studio Max user, but learnt a lot of Sketchup just playing. ;)

8. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The upside down original Reliant design always bothered me.

It's a hell of a thing...
    With the nacelles "up" and the photorps "below", I suppose it's a more proper Star Fleet design, more in keeping with the Enterprise style.

And really, there's nothing wrong with the Reliant design having the nacelles overhead rather than underslung. It's seemingly a perfectly valid starship design.

But damn if I can't get my head around it.

After decades of having the Reliant ingrained into my brains, a design I really love, I can't see the up-nacelle version without thinking it's just wrong. And there's no reason to!

Hell, I can even accept all the other kitbash variations of different ships, usually no problem.

But the Reliant? Nope. I don't know why.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The Reliant has a Klingon stance, that helps it as a villain ship. I think they wanted something different so as to distinguish it from Enterprise, something Vengeance only did with its size and angular look.