MAN OF STEEL - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 11, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

10.9%
  2. A

20.8%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

9.8%
  5. B

11.3%
  6. B-

4.2%
  7. C+

4.9%
  8. C

4.9%
  9. C-

3.8%
  10. D+

3.4%
  11. D

3.8%
  12. D-

2.6%
  13. F

1.5%
  1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

They're a vocal minority if you ask me.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It did one amazing week as number one and then "Monsters University" trampled it.

November seems kind of late.

I was thinking that since Iron Man 3 is out on September 24th that "Man of Steel" would be out in October.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No commentary or deleted scenes? No buys.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping for an extended edition, but it looks like that probably won't come til later. If at all.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well not every film has a commentary track. Some dirctors don't like them. But that still leaves the cast and other production members. But the studio has to spend the money on it.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Er, the poll results on this very thread would indicate that the movie is not exactly hated . . . .

7. davejames

Yeah, I know. I was being kinda sarcastic there.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, I know. I couldn't resist going to the charts.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Here's a fun bit... Remember rumors that an actor from the Reeve movies was going to cameo in MoS, leading to rumors that Christopher Reeve was going to be CGI'd onto someone else's body?

Well, the answer to the mystery stands revealed, and yes, it was an actor that played Clark Kent!

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

There aren't too many actors who can say they've done full frontal in a Superman film....

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's awesome.

12. davejames

Wow, had no idea he was the same kid from the photo booth scene in SIII.

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's brilliant. He still looks kinda Superman-ish!

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

15. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. I think for the movies, Reeve's Superman works perfectly. He's basically a god on earth, and his portrayal is exactly what I would hope a god would be like.

I think that's one of the reasons why the character is so endearing to everyone. He is basically the personification of an awesome deity, a deity who cares deeply about every human being and uses his powers to help as much as he can.

I thought Dean Cain was excellent as Clark Kent. I loved the whole take on it that Clark was the true person and "Superman" was the identity taken. I think they hit the jackpot with chemistry between the quirky but loveable Lois and the stoic but down to earth good guy Clark.

I always felt his Superman was very uncomfortable. Almost like he felt silly wearing that costume. I hated that arm crossing thing he used to do also.

Henry Cavill was just another actor attempting to capture the look of Chris Reeve IMO. I thought he did fine though, and some scenes were memorable (like the Oil Rig scene, the movie needed more moments like that).

Once the action kicked in, you no longer saw him, but rather just blurs on-screen for the next 30 mins.

I was expecting MoS to be the Superman equivalent to Batman Begins (judging by the trailers it seems to be going in that direction). However, the trailers pretty much showed us all the character scenes in the movie.

Not sure why directors think that adding mind numbing CGI for 30+ is making a movie "better" nowadays.

I hated Watchmen, so I guess I'm not surprised, but I had hopes.

16. davejames

Reeve was perfect as the pure and idealized Christ figure that the first movie called for, but I frankly find Cavill's much more human and relatable Superman to be a lot more interesting and compelling.

17. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When did this whole "I can't relate to the character, so I don't like him" thing become popular?

Do people really relate to (checks the highest grossing movies list) blue avatars, street-rats who die on sinking ships and rich, snarky men in iron suits that hang out with gods and green monsters?

The whole point of Superman isn't relating to him. It's seeing something to strive for that you WISH you could be. It's why we put on capes as kids and ran around pretending to fly. And maybe it's something we shouldn't have outgrown.

18. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Are you sure you don't mean Brandon Routh? Bryan Singer admitted the reason he cast Routh was because he resembled Chris Reeves. If you compare Reeves and Routh you can see the resemblance. Cavil not so much. Cavil is his own Superman.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Random movie related question of the day: How did a suit of the House of El end up on a 20,000 year old scout ship?

20. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral