The Big Bang Theory

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Gojira, Apr 27, 2011.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Agreed - but...
    it's very sad that the character died. He always made for some of the more enjoyable episodes in the past. Glad Sheldon got a major character growth moment out of it, though. Probably one of the most significant in years for him.

2. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice memorial to Leonard Nimoy after the credits tonight.

I didn't think these guys would let Nimoy's death go unnoticed.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd be surprised if it wasn't referenced in a future episode....I wonder if the entire rest of this season would already be in the can?

4. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

No. They just taped the episode that airs in two weeks this Tuesday. I'm sure most of the rest of the season is written, but their leeway from taping to air is usually 2 to 3 weeks.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I am very glad someone else saw that, too. It was indeed a nice tribute, simple, and sweet

6. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Missed it. :(

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Next week looks to be pretty heavy. They already did Howard's mom's funeral (while off-screen), but this one looks like the post-funeral gathering/wake/Shiva where the loss really hits home for everyone. :(

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Cremation was an interesting choice for the mother. It's usually frowned upon by the jewish community, though there has a been a rise of the practice lately.

9. Forbin

My wife's mother was full-bore Roman Catholic (2nd gen Italian), and had to be convinced that cremation was okay. She was afraid that she'd miss the resurrection if she didn't have a physical body in the ground. A priest had to assure her it was okay.

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's interesting that they decided to kill the mother off when the woman who voiced her passed away. The actress playing Wolowits's wife could easily have taken over. (I'm too lazy to look up her name). It shows a lot of respect for the original.

11. Forbin

Melissa Rauch. She does indeed do a great impression of The Voice.

12. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

So does Simon Helberg. He's quite a good mimic.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I first saw Rauch do "the Voice" at Comic Con a few years ago and i cried from laughter because it was so spot on in tone and content.

However since Carol Ann Susi died i think it was the right choice for the show to acknowledge it instead of just writing her out or using another voice.

As to Nimoy i'd expect a full episode that centers around his death. The vanity card was a first step and easy to do (and very fitting) but for someone so important to "geek culture" and the characters themselves (especially Sheldon) they should devote an entire episode to it.

Now production wise we're in the last third of the season but since the show is already renewed i'm pretty sure they can push the storyline of an upcoming episode to the next season to make room for the Spock episode, if they would go all out make the season finale about Spock.

Either way i hope it'll be a good one and i have faith in the writing staff to deliver.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I wouldn't count on a Nimoy centric episode. The producers may feel it's too much death centric content after dealing with Wolowits's mom.

15. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think they necessarily have to do an episode centering around Nimoy's death per say. I'm sure there's a story they can use to pay respects in some other way that reflects Nimoy's impact, like maybe bring in Zach Quinto for a guest spot or something

16. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

And don't forget Professor Proton...

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Yeah, there have been a lot of deaths referenced in the show this season and although I hope the characters, Sheldon mostly, will mention Leonard Nimoy, I am not holding my breath.

18. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

BTW, i think there has been a lot of character growth this season with Sheldon...