What Class Was 1701?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Tiberius, May 28, 2011.

1. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

There is a school of thought that TOS is in its own Universe, and the movies and series that followed are probably each in their own Universes, only loosely related, just as the 2009 movie could itself be in another alterniverse.

This notion isn't shared by everybody, but it can be useful in reviewing the origins of concepts in TREK.

2. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Through most of TOS proper - it was Starship Class

In the circa 1975 Star Trek Tech Manual, it was refered to as a Constitution Class starship.

When TMP hit the screens, Constitution Class became canon from that point forward.

^^^
    All the above FWIW.

3. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree!!!!:techman:

4. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Way back on August 9, 1967 by the fucking people who made the fucking show. In fact, it's solidified by a published letter between Bob Justman and Gene Roddenberry.

Can we settle this stupidity now?

5. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Just FYI... the name Constitution didn't appear in that letter (nor the previous letter by someone using the pseudonym of D. C. Fontana). When the name Constitution was first introduced isn't actually known.

6. Vance

Oddly it appears in the very next piecee of correspondence, as a 'settled' name already in use. The MoST er.. novel? ... actually refers to her as a Constitution class ship at one point.. so the name goes back to 1968.

The Star Trek Concordance , from 1968, also makes the connection with the name and class, with Bjo Trimble citing Roddenberry as the source for this information.

The BoGP, of course, from 1973 says the class name explicitly and was personally signed by Roddenberry on every single page. The tech manual would be two years later, in 1975.

7. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

The next part in TMoST after the Justman letter discussing the established starships is commentary by Poe. As a reference source, I've taken the time to highlight memos/letters/documents in TMoST so that I can distinguish them from Poe's interpretations of events.

The name Constitution didn't appear in either of those memos, but did appear in a graphic used in The Trouble with Tribbles (aired in December 1967) and Poe's commentary in TMoST (published in September 1968). Of course according to Gerrold, the filming of The Trouble with Tribbles took place in late August of 1967 (a week or two after the Justman letter), so some time in mid August of 1967 would be when the name Constitution (and the term Constitution Class) was first introduced in TOS production (but we still don't have a specific day).

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Where in TMP is the ship referred to as Constitution Class?

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Excuse me, but I was responding to Tiberius' question and I don't recall giving you any attitude.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  10. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is Trek BBS, we don't settle stupidity here. We cause it. :devil:

Anyway, if the power that were decided to change the class from Starship to Constitution some time during 19xx, that was their privilege. A ship's dedication plaque was created using the designation "Starship", then someone later used the word "Constitution", and it apparently stuck.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

We do not allow such truths to be spoken here.

Away with thee!
    [​IMG]

12. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The bridge set in that movie had no dedication plate, so it didn't come from that.

:)

13. Vance

The graphics of the Technical Manual were on screen... but that's the only reference I can think of off of the top of my head.

14. Green Shirt

Frak, I have much more truth to share. :)

15. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

Where does it say that? In any event, it may well be that Starfleet underwent a reorganization after the end of the original series to align itself with the navies of the Federation's member states so that the Enterprise was reclassified as a Constitution-class heavy cruiser instead of a Starship-class vessel of the Constitution series or something to that effect.

It has just occurred to me, perhaps Constitution-class was originally the designation given to the Enterprise by the Earth Starfleet (or UESPA or whatever you want to call it, Earth's National Guard) and Starship-class the designation given to it by the Federation Starfleet. After the Original Series, the Federation Starfleet may have reorganized itself to better align with the Earth Starfleet, giving their ships new designations (cruiser, destroyer, frigate, etc.) and naming ship classes like other navies (Constitution-class, etc.).

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

On one of the vector graphics displays of the intgerior layouts as V'Ger is accessing the 1701's computer.

17. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

Indeed, as is seen on screen before Kirk exits the Kobayashi Maru simulator. (Bottom left of door)

[​IMG]

Further reading pertaining to starship classes, including the TOS Enterprise can be had in this detailed page: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/ship_names.htm

18. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Of course, one could say that it's an Enterprise-class simulator, in that it recreates the bridge of the USS Enterprise.

There could be a Grissom-class simulator, for command crew on science vessels, and a Galileo-class simualtor for the poor sods stuck doing shuttle runs between Utopia planetia and Jupiter Station...

19. Green Shirt

That simulation could be boring as hell. They probably practice only two scenarios -- "Scanning for life forms, Sir." Or, "Prepare to be destroyed!" :eek:

20. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

along the same line of thinking, this simulator could be for the "Enterprise Class" cadets, i.e. the cadets who are serving on the Enterprise.