Specific Recommendations Request

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mr Silver, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I've become intrigued about interpretations of first contact.

Now I've read most of the classics, Niven, Asimov, etc, you name it. What I'm looking for is specific, but realistic enough for people to come up with recommendations.

What I'm looking for is a novel that involves first contact, or at least knowledge/discovery of other intelligent life by the human race. It must be set around this time, or in the very near future so familiar technology, such as the internet and cellular phones will be present, or at least the plot will encompass these ideas (eg, characters using their cell/mobile phones instead of running to a phone box).

I suppose you could say I'm looking for a first contact novel (or a novel that deals with the discovery that "we are not alone") set around present-day, with an emphasis on being realistic. You could say I'm looking for an updated version of Contact, I suppose.

I've done much searching, without really stumbling upon everything. Thanks in advance for any recommendations you may provide.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think there's anything in Star Trek literature that fits your parameters, so you should probably ask this in the Science Fiction & Fantasy forum.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would recommend the novel Calculating God by Robert J. Sawyer. It's set in 1999 Toronto; the premise is that one day, a spaceship lands outside the Royal Ontario Museum, and a giant alien gets out, walks up to the security desk, and asks if he may speak to a paleontologist.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a decent list of First Contact novels starting from 1912 up the present day.

Link

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I honestly did know where to post this thread! Thanks for the heads up Christopher

You're the man! :techman:

Mods - feel free to lock, I'll repost this thread in SF&F

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll second the Calculating God recommendation. Loved that novel!