The curse of even Trek Films and the reboot - thought

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by YJAGG, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

How many times I've seen it + whether or not I plan on ever watching it again.

TMP -- 10+ / possibly
    TWOK -- 10+ / probably
    TSFS -- 10+ / no
    TVH -- 10+ / possibly
    TFF -- About 5 / no
    TUC -- 10+ / no

GEN -- About 5 / no
    FC -- About 5 / no
    INS -- 3 / no
    NEM -- 1 / no

ST09 -- 2 / no
    ID -- 1 / no

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think this is a great way to look at the films...

The Motion Picture - 20+/Definitely
    The Wrath of Khan - 20+/Definitely
    The Search for Spock - 25+/Definitely
    The Voyage Home - 15+/Probably Not
    The Final Frontier - 15+/Likely
    The Undiscovered Country - 30+/Definitely
    Generations - 10+/Probably Not
    First Contact - 10+/No
    Insurrection - 10+/No
    Nemesis - 10+/Likely
    Star Trek 2009 - 15+/Definitely
    Into Darkness -4/Definitely

When you factor in the episodes, I've spent a ton of my life watching Star Trek.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do people always say Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek movie? What are ya smoking? Is Spaceballs a Star Wars movie?

Seriously? Of all things?

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"My favorite Star Trek movie? Galaxy Quest."

It's a joke, a little dig. GQ was an obvious parody of Star Trek, but in some ways it was more like Star Trek than some of the actual Trek films.

I've even said it myself from time to time.

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It hits trek gracenotes better than a lot of the real thing followups (the bickering, the moments when things come together.)

BTW, the NTE-3120 designation is supposed to be an in-joke standing for NotTheEnterprise.

That's in case anybody thought it really stood for Naval Thermian Endeavour number.

6. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Weird, cuz I'm from that same group, and yet I'd be much happier to have less TREK if it meant more good TREK.

Same for Bond. I suffered mightily during the Moore era, and still would be happy to have no Bond between 1970 & 1986 (only real loss would be having less Ken Adam, John Barry & Derek Meddings moments, but then again those moments could have happened for different films) and to have had no Bonds at all this century either, (except for about 10 minutes of QUANTUM.)

I like pizza too, but if you remember Shakey's Pizza, you'll recall a certain cardboard quality. Don't really like cardboard, can do without consuming it at all ever.

7. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But I loved Shakey's Pizza. :lol:

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^So did I. And then we got a Round Table Pizza place.

9. xvicente

xvicente Captain Captain

The curse is real. Odd Treks are bad and even good.

As long as you consider the numbers 6, 8 and 10 as odd, 1 and 3 even, and 5 "half-odd". Then there's no problem.

10. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I don't buy the curse at all - The Motion Picture is one my fave Trek films, 3 is a solid entry, Generations & Inssurection have their moments, the only truly bad one for me is 5, and I love all the campfire scenes in that

11. Zippo and Flask

Zippo and Flask Lieutenant Red Shirt

The Star Trek odd-numbered movie curse reminds me of the Night Court bailiff curse. After two elderly, chain-smoking women who stared on the show as bailiffs died during the show's first few seasons, it gained a reputation, for a while, of being cursed.

12. neoworx

neoworx Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well put!

13. JarodRussell

The only bad Trek film is Nemesis (and that one truly stinks on every possible level), all others are good to great.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But I like Nemesis:(

15. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I just don't get the hate for Nemesis, I rank it in the top 3 or 4, I know some of the plot is a bit contrived and silly (dune buggy sequence I'm talking to you) but the end battle is the best in all 12 films for me, and I enjoyed quite a lot of the character moments - the wedding in particular. I rank it alongside First Contact

16. JarodRussell

You also like nuTrek. :p

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well they can't both be true...I'm going to guess that he was lying about liking Nemesis :p

18. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know what, of the 12 trek movies I can honestly say I like 12 of them.

None are great pieces of cinema (TWOK probably comes closest) but all are solid 3 or 4 star films in a series I consistently enjoy, and I could spend hours on the Internet criticising them, but I still find myself running through all the discs once a year or so!

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

For me just about everything in NEM is contrived badly. Picard BREAKS HIS PHASER RIFLE on one bad guy, making this tough field weapon unusable, then his 24th century holster -- which doesn't even have the secure functionality of a berns-martin triple drawer holster circa 1956 -- allows his other phaser to fall out and be left on the deck. Moments later, we have him able to rip a stanchion off the wall to conveniently impale min-whoosis. THAT'S ALL JUST IN THE SPAN OF A MINUTE OR TWO!

If the movie had been working on ANY thrusters, I wouldn't have been distracted by all of this till later, but the fact I noticed this all as it happened first run is a pretty marvelous indicator of the script's failings -- no surprise there -- and especially Baird's.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm not sure how much real control any director had over any of the TNG films. These movies really seemed to be driven from the top (Berman).