"John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ptrope, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed

2. flcat

flcat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed the books when I was a kid, and I enjoyed the film. It was a hell of a lot more entertaining than Prometheus. I thought Taylor Kitsch probably wasn't the best choice for the lead, but I always have a few personal quibbles like that about films.

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Odds are most Confederate soldiers couldn't have cared less about slavery. Few could afford them. They were more concerned that them damn Yankees were pickin' a fight and marchin' into their sovereign states.

4. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, it should have been "Princess of Mars" and "John Carter of Mars" should have been the sequal. Deja Thoris is the catalyst that transforms Carter. Not just that he loves her, he is a different person because of her. Without her, he would have been content to just find a way to Earth and stay there.

5. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Overall, I'd agree that A Princess of Mars would have been a good choice. Dejah Thoris doesn't have a character arc or make the dramatic resolution but, for one thing, A Princess of Mars was the title of the novel that provided most of the characters and a lot of the setup.

I don't know whether it's because they're trying to push people into buying Blu-Ray by limiting access to regular DVDs or not. But when I Redboxed John Carter and still enjoyed the movie I went to check if the movie was on a budget price, being a gigantic box office flop and all. Besides lots of DVDs are being released at $15 or even $12 nowadays. The only thing left on the Wal-Mart shelves was the Blu-Ray (about half a dozen copies) and Blu-Ray 3D. How are DVD sales?

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was the name of the novel but I think little boys wouldn't be interested in seeing a movie with the word Princess in the title. They should have just stuck with John Carter of Mars.

ANYTHING would have been better than renaming it to the generic John Carter. The marketing people for this movie were idiots. They did everything wrong.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I haven't seen Avengers yet, but I suppose that is encouraging. The question is, was it successful because it was good, because it caught people's imaginations, because it had interesting characters and ideas-- or because there was lots of fighting and explosions and stuff?

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What are you waiting for? Go see it ASAP!

I'd say eveything you mentioned is why it is so successful.

It takes a certain type of movie to become a phenomenon like Avengers has become.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think that question is rather uninteresting, because it is unanswerable, but why assume that audiences flocked to the movie for one of those reasons to the exclusion of all the others?

10. RJDiogenes

^^ Because it's an unfortunate truism that mindless action puts butts in seats.

I am interested in seeing it, despite seldom finding that superheroes cross over into movies and TV well, but I'll wait for pay-per-view. I don't go to the movies much these days. The last film I was inspired to get to the theater for was Indy and the Crystal Skulls.

I hope you're right, but quality and success are two different things. NuTrek was a phenomenon, too, and that was completely uninspired, as well as badly written.

11. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my god.

That's three total people on this board who agree that NuTrek's problems are it's own faults, not teh kanon.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I bought the blu-ray last night. I thought it was okay. One viewing every few months is okay.

The dialogue was really complicated for those that aren't familiar with these types of scifi movies.

You have terms like " Sab Than" "Thern" "Tal Hajus" " Tars Tarkas" "Jeddak"

That's alot to absorb.

13. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not true, owning a slave was a sign of economic success. It's like owning a Cadillac in my grandfather's day or owning an iPhone now. People, especially Southern apologist, have been trying to play down the cultural importance of slavery in the South. Confederate soldiers weren't just defending their lands, they were defending their twisted version of the American Dream.

14. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I think Disney should have written the main character as a WOMAN. Then Princess of Mars sounds really awesome. Joanna Carter, Princess of Mars. They could have easily captured the Hunger games, Twitards demographic.

15. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

My daughter got me the movie for Father's Day and I just finished watching this. I really loved the movie. It was as good as I expected it to be from all the trailers. A few parts were a little slow and and not being too familiar with the source material it took me a little bit to understand who is who and what is going on. Once that was clear I really loved the story and special effects were great.

The saddest part is that the movie sets itself up for a sequel we probably never will see.

16. RJDiogenes

Oh, yeah, there's no need to worry about it being a bad Star Trek movie-- it's just a bad movie. :rommie:

I'm surprised there's even three....

17. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Oh give it up Star Trek was not a bad movie. It was certainly better than the majority of Trek films to date.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

No. And I'm sure there are more than three around here.

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

*raises hand* Four! :)

20. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I feel sorry for you. To hate something so fun so much that you can't stop talking about it and threadcrapping about it. If I don't like something I don't waste my time talking about or even thinking about it. i certainly don't take every opportunity to bring it up. Even in threads that have nothing remotely about them.