Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I was watching Where Silence has Lease and just noticed, how convenient it was Wesley was at his station at the beginning and the end, BUT JUST HAPPENED to be off duty when Negallum decided to kill the guy sitting at his station.

They could have just offed Wesley right then and there!!

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was just pointing that out to my wife last night. :lol:

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Moments earlier:

Wow! My first day piloting the Enterprise! Oh boy, I can't wait!

:He walks onto the bridge and sees the entire senior staff there and the ship is in an unusual and dangerous situation:

.... Fuck!

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really felt sorry for that poor bastard!:lol:

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

SFDebris made a whole joke about it.

6. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I'll show everyone, I'll do way better than that kid that's usually here!"

{sad trombone}

7. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How many Starfleet officers have been killed while sitting at the helm or Data's seat?

Haskell died. One dude was mauled to death in Genesis. A lady died because of an exploding console in Disaster. Any others?

8. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

At least, sickbay was able to thaw poor Ensign Torres.

9. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

Spotted another VFX error in episode 7, "Unnatural Selection".

http://i.imgur.com/Aw2IV.jpg

See the top right of the ship where the planet doesn't fill out to the edge of the frame.

There's a very distracting switch between grainy scenes and lack of grain. Especially in episode 6, "The Schizoid Man", where Data/Graves is sitting at the helm with the viewscreen behind him and he's accusing Picard. Very smoothed out.

Apart from these shots, everything else looks great, maybe even better than S1.

10. Trekker4747

There's a few times it seems like the glow of the blue/chroma-key screen "wash"/reflection isn't properly corrected. Like you can still see some of the blue-glow on the sets and actors.

11. Borjis

agreed, there are blue spill errors in some of these.

Sometimes on the set pieces/actors and some on the viewscreen edges.

one visual artifact I'm pleased to NOT be seeing at all so far on season 2 which was in a few season 1 shows was the "flickering" in some areas of a scene. I sometimes do 8 and 16mm film transfers with professional equipment at work and it would seem the telecine light source was out of sync with the imaging sensor in a few places. Just slightly enough to be a problem. It wasn't the ones that were in light sources, I saw them in dark areas too but not the entire frame. Very similar to the effect you see on a multi-format pro crt monitor when it goes into 48hz mode for 24 frame video editing.

12. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I know what you mean. Brightness is pulsing in those scenes..from a little brighter to a little darker. I noticed that on one Picard close-up, but don't remember the episode.
    Just a very few seconds, and once the angle changed to another actor and then back to Picard, it has vanished.

13. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

Well, my patience has been rewarded. I checked my local bestbuy today and they had 5 copies that had been delivered this morning. Slowly but surely, the stores are getting them. Already popped in disc 1 and the menu is a big improvement over season 1. First shot of the Enterprise in The Child is stunning!

14. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

See if your TV has overscan protection turned off. I turn mine off to get the whole picture, but some shots may show things outside of the "safe area" of the intended viewing area. If watching on a computer, well, you may just have to overlook this slight discrepency!

15. Borjis

That's precisely it.
    It is possible it was caused by not letting the film scanner "warm up" for 10 minutes.
    Though as expensive as they are should not really need that.
    If the drive motor was just an nth slow or fast feeding the film, that can happen. I've had
    that happen with a telecine projector motor that had worn bearings.

16. Tommunist

Tommunist Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I gave up on Best Buy, and ordered Amazon. Should be in my hands the 12th, which is better than not at all! I posted on Best Buy forums, asking if they knew what was up, but no reply. I'll chalk it up to distribution issues, but so far, these season releases haven't been batting a thousand in regards to screw ups, regardless of where the fault lies!

17. Trekker4747

The Hybrid Extended Edition of MoaM is a pretty interesting watch.

18. dg1379

While watching Where Silence has Lease, during the battle with the Romulan ship, I noticed that on the helm and ops stations the lower screens (for lack of a better word) also flash red during a red alert. Never noticed it before. It is faint, but you can see it.

19. BriGuy

BriGuy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And yup, it's in stock now at my Best Buy stores. Two days late.

I went and ordered it off their website; it shipped today. Now I just have to deal with catching a UPS delivery, which sucks.

Hey, BBuy, if you're gonna put something in your ad, have it available when you say it will be available!

20. dg1379

Well...im also still waiting for my season 1 replacement discs. Been talking with them for a while. Have to wait a few more days before I call again and say they have yet to show up. Great service. Better off just buying the season over again at this point. But whatever. I have season 2 to enjoy!