NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

SPOILER ALERT!

In issue 4, it turns out the giant creatures are... APES! Lame. It's so kind of lame how they're shoehorning the relationship between Spock and Uhura in issue 4, as she pulls a Commodore Decker and steals another shuttlecraft to rescues them. I got the feeling that if Spock wasn't on there, she wouldn't have cared.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I've found the series really underwhelming thus far.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So let me get this strieght idw will have it's own app like digital dark horse and comixolgy?

6. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They had. They're merging it with Comixology now.

7. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They should just make stuff up?

9. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay cool, so to buy idw digital comics I just go to comixology awesome.
    :bolian::bolian:

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't enjoy the nuTrek comic take on "The Galileo Seven" as much as I enjoyed the one for "Where No Man Has Gone Before." A lot of the dramatic bite was taken out of the story for former, whereas the latter managed to keep the underlying drama and Kirk's gut-wrenching decision to kill his friend.

In the comic version of "The Galileo Seven," Spock never has his worldview — i.e. that command decisions can be arrived at through logic — challenged. Boma and McCoy, unlike in the original episode, don't really confront Spock on his choices. There is no powder keg created by their situation or by Spock's "cold logic." Worse is that Uhura's rescue robs Spock's act of desperation, which is the climax of his character arc in the episode.

I understand that the comic had to twist the expectation of the episode since this is an alternate universe, but, in this case, the change undercuts the drama of the story. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a straight retelling (or rewrite), but this story could've used another issue to flesh out the internal and external conflict.

Moreover, the story had the potential to up the ante by exploring the fact that Spock had been captain in the movie. It's glossed over and given only lip service in a short scene between Spock and McCoy. Which brings me to another problem I had with the story. There was a TNG approach taken to the script. The characters, particularly McCoy and Boma, are rather tame and ho hum compared to the original story. That change totally evaporates the external conflict — in this case, opposing worldviews and wants chaffing against each other.

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

So which episode will be reworked next?

12. BillJ

Operation: Annihilate!

13. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Sounds great.

Got a preview?

14. BillJ

I wouldn't call it 'great' based on the underwhelming crap we've gotten so far...

15. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't call it crap. The stories and alterations are a bit slight but I re-read the first 4 issues over Christmas and when you read them in a chunk, they are a nice, undemanding read. You can also begin to make out the recurring themes that they are going to use and potential areas for the original stories.

I'd still rather that they retold the old stories over 3 issues so that we could get some more meat on the bones but I think the trade paperback will be a worthwhile read for newcomers. I'm also tempted to get the movie tie-in to complete the set.

16. Therin of Andor

And, by adapting "Operation: Annihilate!", are we going to meet Jim Kirk's brother (obscured into friend Johnny in the JJ movie, but still a brother in the DVD bonus features), or will the death of George Kirk Sr on the Kelvin change events on Deneva?

Also, this was an end-of-Season-One TOS story. Are we seeing a significant time jump that will be reflected by the new movie?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What I recall reading in the issue previews is that
    Sam is in the story -- alive.

Well, they've already set the previous two stories 7-8 years early, it seems.

18. Therin of Andor

As in time jump relative to the previous two retellings.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But that's my point. If they felt no need to put "Where No Man" in 2265 or "The Galileo Seven" in '66, why would they feel any greater need to put "Annihilate" in '67?

20. Therin of Andor

That's not what I suggested. I was curious if the retold "Where No Man..." was early in their first year together, then the retold "Galileo Seven" may have been approximately half a season later. (In fact, it was #14 in TOS, the one that Grace Lee Whitney missed out on because her 13-week contract wasn't renewed; this new version included Rand, as per the original script.) Now this next retelling (of "Operation: Annihilate!") could be towards the end of that first year. Or not. We haven't been told, and the comics have reverted to TOS-style stardates as well.

Are the retold stories dropping many clues about how much time is elapsing?