Saddest movie?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Picard., Feb 12, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was said by tsq and several others, but Grave of the Fireflies was also the first movie I thought of upon seeing the title. Holy jebus, that movie is a metric fuckton of depression.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Life Is Beautiful. Something about the humor Benigni brings to it makes it even harder to swallow than Schindler's List

Braveheart probably deserves a mention in here,

And Million Dollar Baby, which I can't even watch, because it's just too hard

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ironweed is near the top of my list, already mentioned upthread.

One of the things that makes it so great is that it is a personal tragedy that doesn't essentially require any grand events for its backdrop. It could happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Nicholson and Streep are, as reputed, outstanding. But it's a real downer.

4. Winged Victory

Winged Victory Captain Captain

I love watching sad movies. Anyone catch The Impossible with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor? Wow, depressing and sad. I bawled my eyes out during a scene where he makes a phone call home. :( Very sad, but I highly recommend the movie.

I don't know if it's still available on Netflix but I'll never forget this documentary, Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son about his Father. Holy moly. Sad, angry, depressed, it makes you feel the whole gamut of emotions. True story too.

5. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

Titanic. Deep Impact, mainly Tea Leoni's storyline. Melancholia too, at the end.

6. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The end of Toy Story 3 always destroys me. Every bloody time.

7. arthur2sheds

arthur2sheds Lieutenant Red Shirt

Somewhere in Time

Also the ending of Stand By Me

8. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Harold and Maude, a wonderful black comedy romcom that is both sad and life affirming.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Les Miserables (2012).

I mean, Hathaway had only 15 minutes of screen-time and she turned me into mush.

10. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Full Metal Jacket.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

My two votes would be The Virgin Spring: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Virgin_Spring
    and Bless the Beasts and Children: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bless_the_Beasts_and_Children_%28film%29

Also disturbing was what I consider to be Boris Karloff's best movie--Targets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targets

In the film's finale at a drive-in theater, Orlok — the old-fashioned, traditional screen monster who always obeyed the rules — confronts the new, realistic, nihilistic late-1960s "monster" in the shape of a clean-cut, unassuming multiple murderer.

Too real.

12. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A Soldier's Girl - A Showtime TV movie, but a true story. It is as equally shocking as it is sad. I was crying for a long while after it, and it's certainly not a film I think I could watch again. Once is definitely enough. It's also sadder to me because it's quite relevant to my life.

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually cried at the end of the original Godzilla when they sucked the oxygen out of Tokyo bay and killed him.

14. flipjack

flipjack Lieutenant Red Shirt

The whole Jenny thing in "Forrest Gump" was incredibly sad.

15. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Another for Grave of the Fireflies.

It hits me a bit hard since my Dad flew fighter-bomber raids on Japan in 1945.

16. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis. The man finally finds love only to have it ripped from him by cancer, and the personal conflict he endures as he comes to terms with the pain of loss. It's gut-wrenching.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The Futurama episode "Jurassic Bark". I dare anyone not to get choked up at the end of that.