TNG Characters in the JJ-Verse

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Maybe like here.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Ha. So it does.

3. lstyer

lstyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, Abrams can point the camera anyplace he chooses and there is a 100% probability he'll catch lens flare.

4. VulcanJedi

VulcanJedi Captain Captain

Totally! Data and that's a great explanation. Of all the TNG characters, Data is probably the most iconic.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the timelines were supposed to be one and the same until the Narada's arrival on the day of Kirk's birth, and after the branching they share the common past still, Data's head is already in the alternate reality, under San Fransisco where it's been since "Time's Arrow"

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a good point. In fact, it is SUCH a good point, that we now all know that you comment and expect us to read your comments, but you don't read ours - 'cause it's been made, in this thread, about a dozen times already. :p

7. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

I was reading everyones messages and it kind of dawned on me a little bit. One way to have TNG characters in JJ-Verse(or whatever you want to call it) would be through a somewhat re-imagined story of the events of DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations. I do understand that if anyone from the TNG era were to make an appearance, it probably wouldn't be from DS9. I also understand that in this timeline, Worf might not appear in said story. Do you guys think that this would be possible?

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why wouldn't Worf appear?

9. USS Triumphant

Because, IMnshO, NONE of that would happen. The past that the DS9 crew came back to in that episode is not on the same branch of reality that is Star Trek 2009's future. And it is very VERY unlikely that ANY of the human DS9 crew will be born in anything approaching the same form. Even Arne Darvin, who may have already been born, is pretty unlikely to be assigned to the same mission to sabotage the grain - it would be more likely to be some other agent, if the mission even occurs in the same way at all.

10. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

My thinking that Worf wouldn't be there is just me going under the assumption that the Klingon/Federation alliance does not happen, at least not at that point in history. I really don't think that the altered timeline will have as much changed history, or better yet as far reaching as some here may say. I have no reason to believe that most everything in the TNG era won't happen the way it's happened. Just my opinion though. :)

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's just as likely to happen as unlikely. There's no real reason to assume that in 100 years Ben Sisko will not be assigned to command DS9 with a Trill Science officer named Dax, a human Medical officer named Bashir, a Klingon Tactical officer named Worf.... well you get the point. Especially since its fiction and the only thing stopping it would be the author's desire.

12. USS Triumphant

Well, sure, if you want to be all meta like that. :p

But I prefer that Star Trek at least *try* to make sense, unless that stands in the way of the point of the morality play of an episode - and a good writer would find a way to make their point without jumping the shark.

And common sense, to me, says that the sheer amount of destruction that the crew of the Narada managed to inflict is going to be more than "a ripple in the pond of time" that will simply straighten itself back out. At least not by the end of the 24th century, probably not by the end of the 34th. Vulcan is GONE. That's *massive*. Out of the many major/minor Vulcan characters that I'm familiar with doing things after 2255 (Spock, Sarek, T'Pau, T'Pring, Stonn, Sybok, Saavik, Selar, Vorik, Taurik, T'Paal, Sakkath, Tuvok, Solok and his crew, the crew of the Intrepid, probably more I'm not thinking of right now) at LEAST 6 that I named will never be born, the Intrepid and T'Kumbra will almost certainly be crewed differently if they exist at all, and all have had their lives drastically altered, along with the lives of anyone of any other species that knew them.

And that's just onscreen. It isn't even talking about the contributions to the culture that the other billions of Vulcans would have made. Big things like science and technology, down to little things like: let's say that Morgan Bateson, for example, is still born, more or less the same, in the few years following ST09. But his parents, in the Prime timeline, soothed the child to sleep using a new Vulcan musical composition by a composer and musicians who all died in the nuTrek timeline with the destruction of their world. So they have to find something else. Would he be the same man - even setting aside any Vulcans (Spock, for example) that he may have known in his original lifetime?

And ALL of that is disregarding the disruptions created by the destruction of the Starfleet vessels at Vulcan, or during the battle where the Narada apparently destroyed 47 Klingon ships, or, heck, just the Kelvin. What else was she originally destined to do? For all we know, Captain Robau would have originally gone onto be the hero of the battle of whatever - or made a difficult but successful first contact with the Bolians. Or a terribly botched one with the Breen.

It's all going to change from here, and I'm glad. It gives us new stories, and in no way diminishes the Prime universe, which I am more than happy to keep reading about, too. I don't need nuWorf. We've still got Worf! :)