Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Well, at first glance, a 19 year old girl dating a 40 year old man is not exactly emotionally healthy.

Maybe Peter was trying to save her?

Or did he misunderstand the situation and think that Reed was her dad?

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think that Gladiator is being awfully short-sighted in the "Trial of Jean Grey". What happens if Jean isn't allowed to go back and fulfill her role in history? It doesn't help the D'Bari survive. Without Jean/Phoenix, the D'Bari will die along with the rest of the universe when D'Ken unleashes the M'Kraan crystal (Uncanny X-Men 107-108). And Gladiator will help him do it!

3. Guy Gardener

Gladiator is almost the last of his species. Just him and Kid Gladiator. He's probably pretty law and order on issues of genocide, but a final sentence doesn't have to be death if she is found guilty.

And current theory is that the kids can't go back.

Time is not letting them return.

Which might mean that they can't go back ever and don't have to go back.

Although when Adult Cyclops was briefly erased from existence while young Cyclops was getting chest compressions at the ass end of a fight gone bad... Which seems to indicate that Time is willing to remove a foreign boy but it's really sloppy at cleaning up the narrative.

4. Turtletrekker

I was under the impression that time wasn't letting them return yet. That they had started something and couldn't go back until they finished it.

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mark Gruenwald established way back that you can't change history (any change results in a parallel timeline while you go back to your own). Of course, this is flagrantly ignored a fair bit, so... who knows?

6. Turtletrekker

Yeah, the Gruenwald Doctrine has long since been abandoned.

ETA: And not by Bendis. I remember it actually being a plot point in a Fantastic Four story (by McDuffie?)

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the Trial of Jean just seems oddly timed. the alliance of worlds just saved the universe during Infinity. so i guess after the dust settled Gladiator thought, ok...time to kill Jean Grey.

8. Turtletrekker

When you really think about it, when isn't it time to kill Jean Grey?:p

9. Guy Gardener

Yes, yes it is.

At the end of that big invasion cross over, the Avengers flag was flying proud and true across the galaxy on hundreds of "Avengers Worlds" which if I was a sceptical and pessimistic man, I would think was the beginning of an "Avengers Empire" which the older powers would feel compelled to put down quickly rather than admit to shrinkage of their own space.

But Captain America has returned to Earth and forgotten about the Galactic Stage.

Politically Jean's trial might be needed to remind the universe that Humans are crazy and dangerous.

Hmmm?

They could just kill her and send back a brainwashed super skull.

Although I'm thinking what might happen is what happened to O'Brien in DS9 Hard Times. Send her to jail for a thousand virtual years, which only takes a few moments in real time to play out.

They can't do anything to the original Marvel Girl, not even to her personality that any infringements or punishment would have to be erased before she is finally sent back to the past, but what if they clone the girl and kill the clone. Keep killing clones, keep punishing clones. Execute a new clone every day for the next 10 thousand years to prove that not even the dead can hide from justice.

Besides, if you think about this, everyone capable of time travel is responsible for Jean's genocide because they did not going back in time and stop her, if the resolution of this trial in any way during the next couple comics is to stop her going back, or sending her back different, it's an assault on the timeline that could have dangerous repercussions on the present.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is Learning to Crawl going to be set in the present day (as in 21st Century, not during the current comics) or is it going to set in the '60s? I'm assuming since they have tohe whole sliding time scale, or whatever they call it, it'll be present day.

11. Guy Gardener

That's why I thought that Byrne's Chapter One was such an epic fail, they retold the same old stories in a more modern but not completely modern setting, because in 1998 when it was published, the modern setting they chose to set Peter's formative years were the mid 1980s.

Minus 15 years puts us back into 1999.

Turn of the century fun with the Y2k Bug threatening everyone's piece of mind.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I always find it so hard to re-imagine those old issues on the sliding timescale. I think of Peter Parker as having started in the 1960s, not in the 2000s...

13. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, it's really hard to make it make sense. In an early All-New X-Men, Scott was baffled by the idea of bottled water even though he came from 2001ish.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

You assume right. Peter isn't a guy pushing 70 in current comics.

Not seeing the problem. If you tell a story set in Peter's past that past will always be X number of years from the date the story is published in. The fashions, music and events mentioned are just "window dressing" and not meant to lock the story to a particular year or era.

15. Turtletrekker

Slott addressed the sliding timescale in the interview...

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Ditto. I love writers like Busiek, Thomas, Englehart, et al, who actually use continuity to generate ideas and stories organically, rather than just abandon and ignore the past. Reboots are just lazy.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed. i especially love everything Thomas did with The All Star Squadron. one of my favorite comics ever.

18. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not fussed myself - if the story I'm read makes sense on its own terms, I'm not particularly bothered if it ties together with issue 74 from 1981...

19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Certainly, but it adds layers of richness when a writer builds on the past and grows the larger story.

20. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

You see richness, I see clutter - especially since there isn't really a larger story because there can't be - you'd need an end for that.