Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread I thought I'd start one up. This is for all major Heroic Age topics but mainly is an Avengers discussion thread. I read Avengers#1 last week and thought it was great. Interesting new arc with the "kids" and the time traveling along with the reveal of the Hulk in the final panel. Who's daughter was that supposed to be though standing to him? For some reason I want to say Peter and Jessica's (Drew) but that is just my own personal guess. It could be also Hawkeye and Mockingbird's daughter too from the attitude.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Loved the kid's response when one of his friend said the guy they killed talked too much. "Really? Wasn't even listening."

I liked Avengers but I have to admit I liked Secret Avengers and Thunderbolts better.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The kids, of course, are the Next Avengers, previously seen in their own direct-to-DVD animated movie. This is their first appearance in a comic.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. Admiral_Young

^ I thought they looked familiar but Kang also said they were THE Avengers kids and I think Peter had a line like "our kids?" anyways I think it was meant to be the Young Avengers or whatever too. Also I agree on "Secret Avengers" i loved every single panel of Secret Avengers!

5. Turtletrekker

^I think that the girl standing behind the Hulk at the end of the issue is called Spider-Girl (but obviously not May-Day), who was not in the movie. She's probably Pete's kid (with Felicia Hardy?). She's seen on the cover of issue 3 hanging from a web.

I also loved Secret Avengers #1. I think that the Avengers franchise as a whole in the best place it's been in years.

6. Admiral_Young

Okay that does make sense...I'm buying both of these arcs when they're out in hardcover.

7. Turtletrekker

I think that it's interesting that they are picking up plot points from an original movie and continuing it's story, making the movie "canon". Outside of just bringing in original-to-TV characters like Firestar or Harley Quinn, I think this is the first time I've seen it done.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. Turtletrekker

I was thinking about of the Secret Avengers and how it doesn't really have any of the classic Avengers elements, but manages to echo them all in an "almost-but-not-quite" kind of way. You have Steve Rogers, but not Captain America, you have an Iron Man but not Tony Stark, and you have an Asgardian Warrior, but not Thor. For that matter, there's even an Ant-Man that's not Pym.

It seems like there was a real effort to make SA a radically different book than Avengers (undercover ops, espionage, pre-emptive strikes), yet still have a familiar Avengers "feel" to it. Having classic characters like Beast and Black Widow certainly help in that regard as well. I think a cross-over with Mockingbird's WCA in the Hawkeye and Mockingbird book would be a natural.

9. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed on your points and I'm pretty sure that was the intention behind Secret Avengers...an espionage black ops team willing to deal with the threats before they happen or that haven't revealed themselves to the Avengers. Indeed the first page and Steve's narration on the first couple of pages explains the concept of the book perfectly. I'm really stoked for the rest of SA.

10. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm kind of glad that Steve Rogers isn't going to be Cap again. It's about time that a character that died, was replaced by another character, didn't just go right back into the old role, leaving the new guy to either come up with a new ID or retire or die.

Plus the new suit's kinda cool actually. I'm still thinking that Steve will be running SHIELD soon though. By the way... whatever happened to SHIELD/HAMMER anyway? Was it just entirely dissolved or what?

11. Turtletrekker

Here's a quick unlettered preview of Avengers #2. It looks like Noh-Varr/Marvel Boy/Captain Marvel is the final member alluded to last issue.

12. Admiral_Young

Regarding HAMMER I think it was dissolved when President Obama appointed Steve "America's Top Cop" I took that to imply that Rogers would assume the Directorship of SHIELD probably after his little mini-series that Brubaker has him in. Speaking of SHIELD Directors, was that a Hydra Nick Fury at the end of "Secret Avengers"? Nor-Var does indeed seem like the final Avengers recruit. I'm looking forward to reading it.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Wasn't S.H.I.E.L.D. supposed to be UN/International?

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was never made clear.

Nick Fury on separate occasions was made accountable to both the UN Security Council and to the White House.

It probably makes more sense for it to be a NATO taskforce.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Originally it was UN, then after it was reformed later they made it US exclusive.

16. Hound of UIster

SHIELD was dissolved and its material assets and agents absorbed into HAMMER along with the Initiative, the Avengers and Thunderbolts.

The helicarriers and many of the former SHIELD agents were taken by Nick Fury after he decided to go to war against Hydra. What remains of HAMMER is being decommissioned and its personnel put on trial for treason and other related crimes.

Steve Roger is currently the leader of the Avengers and whats left of the Initiative and they have been put in charge of the nation's security.

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So for the first time in like 40 some years there's no SHIELD - no big ass United Spy Agency running around? That's kind of shocking really...

18. Turtletrekker

^ There's always been a SHIELD, going all the way back to 2620 BC. I doubt that just because the public face has been dissolved, that the organization ended.

19. Hound of UIster

They aren't the same.

It's like the ancient and modern day Olympics.

20. Admiral_Young

Currently there is no SHIELD but I wouldn't be surprised if we got an ongoing for later this year or next called "Steve Rogers: Director of SHIELD" :)