Did anyone get a Windows 10 invite?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I use Kingsoft Office, which is lighter and faster than OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and is also free.

2. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I have both the 2010 Microsoft Office suite and Open Office on my PC. I got the MS Office suite very cheap by pre-order when it first came out.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I have Office 2016! So far I like it, but I don't need to use it as intensely as my wife. She's still getting the hang of it.

RAMA

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Windows 10 seems to work fine on old hardware and I have heard people say old laptops are even running fine but I have had issues on mine..

My experience with an old laptop has been the reverse. For me Windows 7 ran faster then Windows 10...

HP/Compaq CQ61-314TU with 4 gig ram and 500gb hdd
    Intel Celeron dual core 1.8ghz and intel mobile video.

When I had Win 7 on this it ran fast but under Windows 10 the boot time has been slower and performance overall not as I had expected..

I have since removed 10 and put Windows 7 back..

5. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

The new Surface Book looks really damn sweet. Clever design, CPU in the tablet part, dedicated GPU in the keyboard part.

Finally a reason for me to move away from Macbooks.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfOe5mFbAE[/yt]

6. Gingerbread Demon

Why is the GPU separate?

I wonder what kind of price this is going to be. It does look nice.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Becasue it allows a higher GPU to be used (in this case it's a NVIDIA) that will provide better perfomance.

Becasue of size, weight, power consumption and the heat, you can't fit one into a tablet.

So when you've detached the keyboard the unit will rely on the GPU that's integrated into the processor (Intel HD), add on the keyboard with the GPU and additional battery capacity and you can get better video performance.

you can find some specs and details

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9694/microsoft-reveals-the-surface-book

and

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9696/windows-10-devices-hands-on

8. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I believe it's going to be starting at $1499.

9. Gingerbread Demon

Ouch!!!!!

For that price I'd probably think what the fuck and buy a Mac.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Why would you do that? The Surface outclasses the latest Macbook in several ways. If you're going to pay $1500 anyway, at least get something better than the other guy's $1500 notebook.

Plus, the starting price of the Surface Pro 4 is only $899 for the base model, compared to $1299 for the base model Macbook Pro.

11. Gingerbread Demon

Which model Surface Book was $1499... That's the price he quoted in the video..

I'm a windows user so I would actually buy this over the Mac. OSX is not to my liking..

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

The $1599 model has a Core i7, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. For $1,299, you can get the Core i5 with 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. Either way, that's a better value than the Macbook Pro, and for less.

13. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ooof.. too much for me. I just shelled out roughly that much for a new desktop PC (with Win10, curious to see it in action) and was thinking about MS Surface line as a tablet/laptop device for mobile computing with the bonus of being able to use Office programs instead of relying on some funky apps.

That Surface Book looks very awesome but was too expensive.

14. { Emilia }

It pretty much costs the same as all other ultrabooks on the market including the Macbook Pro and the Dell xps 13 so I don't see the big deal. The price is pretty much what you'd expect for an ultrabook and it's definitely better value than a Macbook Pro.

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

This. Plus, the base Surface Pro will start at $899, and will still be an absurdly powerful machine for that kind of money and mobility.

16. Bob The Skutter

I've been waiting for the announcement of the Windows 10 phones to decide when I upgrade and what I go to for my next phone. Currently have a Lumia 625 and was hoping I'd go for a Lumia again, but I can't bring myself to go for them at the price point they're aiming for. So I've decided my next phone will be an Android phone, and I can still take all the Windows apps across, Onedrive and onenote, office, outlook, Cortana even, if I so choose.

17. Gingerbread Demon

I did not know that. How does one do this?

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Because Microsoft has released Android versions of their applications such as Office and OneDrive.

19. Bob The Skutter

Yeah, Microsoft are all about the "Mobility of Experience" rather than "Mobility of Device" now. Which kinda seems daft when they're trying to build a devices business.

20. { Emilia }

Eh, I find it kind of smart considering their Windows Phones are never going to take off. This way people still stay within the MS ecosystem of apps which makes them more likely to stick to Windows and not go for MacOS.