Shuttlebay 02 - USS Enterprise 1701 D - TNG

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Capt Dazio, May 2, 2009.

1. Capt Dazio

Capt Dazio Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

To begin, I am sorry not to write indeed, I am French and I do not speak English and I translates from Google. I hope that it will be rather understandable.​

Introduction:
    Number of models proposed to represent the vessels perfectly highlighted by artists of great talent, at different scales, but we do not find models of internal architectures of these.
    The idea of this model was prompted by the purchase of shuttle at 1/72 scale resin.
    Can not myself to have these models in the middle of nothing, the urge came to represent their home base.

The model that I wish you to show and which is taken from the USS Enterprise NCC 1701 D of the series "The Next Generation", is the Shuttlebay 02 at 1/72 scale.

Background:
    Initially I wanted to implement the "Holodeck" rather than "Shuttlebay 02 (shed shuttles) because it seemed easier and also because the armored door called the most elaborate "Bulkhead door" (in bow) was common to different rooms, which gave me the opportunity to change my final choice:
    - Shuttlebays,
    - Room Freight
    - Holodeck,
    - Areas of transport,
    - Room Level Engineering,
    Project started in early 2007, I had to make dozens and dozens of hours of research since serious plan (blueprint) existed on the subject, just photos (although I found a very small set of the original two weeks ago and my research confirms).
    Viewing, screen shots, setting prices and planning.
    What appears, when we began the research, is that the configuration of "Shuttlebay" change throughout the series, colors, amenities, floor markings, etc.. The Shuttlebay 02 is located on the height of bridges 12 and 13 in the port stern of the USS Enterprise. His workshop on deck 14.

On the other hand, there is no difference between "Shuttlebay 02" and "03" in the decor of the series. The directors just change the locations of cameras, show an additional door (port), identical to that side and change the numbering on the ground. In fact they use an old trick that does not cost a cent: They reverse the image, prior to amending the markings on the walls and ground. The width of the curtain that leads into space (momentum) is the same, as seen from outside the "03" is twice as wide as the "Shuttlebay 02.
    Curtain or portal is vertical in all indoor shots, but from the outside, we could see a curtain of an inclination of 40 °. Complexity that must be solved!
    For information, the "Shuttlebay 02" has a dimension less than half that "03", not to mention the "Shuttlebay 01" which has colossal proportions (twice as wide as 03).

The model
    The Shuttlebay, itself measured 27cm on 25, but the model brings the 56cm to 30cm on.
    The height of the walls (including Beam) is 10.50 cm, but more than 20cm overall.
    It will internally Shuttlebay on both corridors of access (bow and starboard) and the outer part of the vessel (in stern hull 40 °).
    I intend to keep the doors of the "Bulkhead door" removable to reveal the corridor access Shuttlebay.

Finally, I also represent an ever shown in the series, it is the lift of shuttlebay which provides access to the deck 14. Indeed, like a deck of aircraft carriers, the shuttlebay is necessarily an elevator equipped to evacuate or supply Shuttlebay in the shuttle, as for maintenance.
    To do so, given the small size of this room, the elevator will be exclusive to the size of the shuttle type 15 (the smallest of the series equivalent to a twingo). Shuttle type 6 (two times larger than the type 15), have access to Shuttlebay 02 ports, but their place may be that Shuttlebays 03 and 01.
    Finally, this model will be equipped with adequate lighting and basic mechanical systems that will make the functional parts.

Conclusion:
    The first breaking ceremony was conducted around April 2008 (partial realization of the "Bulkhead door"), but the site temporarily dropped, actually started in mid-February 2009.
    Before presenting the stages of construction of Shuttlebay 02, I shall post it by the display context of the project.

[LEFT]Status of Shuttlebay 02 - The size of the curtains "Shuttlebays" are clearly visible ... In addition, we can see that the curtains are inclined (40 °), seen from the outside, which is not the case in the interior views that do not appear any more terrace which could explain this difference .[/LEFT]

[​IMG]
    [LEFT](Below) View of "Shuttlebay" toward the stern ...[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[LEFT](Below) View of "Shuttlebay" toward the stern ... You can see a control booth at the first level, which appears only late in the series.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[LEFT](Below) View of "Shuttlebay" direction port ... This is the "Shuttlebay 03" in this case.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

Here is for the contextual screens.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  2. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]0[/LEFT]

3. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]First step for the realization of the door. As it is presented, there is still work ...[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Door frame to bow[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Door frame side,

[​IMG]

[LEFT]The starboard door is perfectly simple and smooth. No special work is to be done. I do this not for the moment.[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

4. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]Here is the plan Shuttlebay 02.

[​IMG][/LEFT]

5. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]Sea-wall side. This part of the hangar is on two levels. So the wall the lowest, about 5cm. Above is a balcony on which to place the cab of the checkpoint.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]You can already get an idea of the size of Shuttlebay 02[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The shuttle "type 15" (model Federation Models) is perfectly appropriate to the dimensions of the hangar.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

6. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]A centerpiece of this model in addition to the Bulkhead door is the stern gate.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]The walls are high and good size.
    The core is made of plastic, the walls are also made of cardboard plume material cheap and convenient. It is a mounting white (French expression which means placing pieces together without sticking them ), apart from the side which is already stuck.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]There are two corners in this room. The complexity for this is more rounded to the reaction of the glue. The very thin sheet (0.25mm) deforms drying. a strange phenomenon that requires me to putty, sand again and again ..... for both parts. A reaction that worries me because I have to use the same sheets coated the floor of the shed.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

The result seems correct, yet ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]... I am not entirely satisfied. despite all my efforts, imperfections persist. Nevertheless, it remains acceptable.[/LEFT]

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    This is very nice work so far, Capt Dazio. :)

10. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]Although this access corridor (Stern) will be apparent that few, I decided nevertheless to detail, ceiling included. I doubt that anyone could see much once everything in place. But what do you ....[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[LEFT]This view allows the location of the couloir, and shows the door to the elevator leading to the balcony of Shuttlebay. Again, I saw that the elevator visible in the series is far too broad. The remaining space between the door and the balcony would not incorporate such a cabin.[/LEFT]

[​IMG]

11. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi, "Capt. Dazio." Welcome to the BBS.

This is some interesting work, but I'm going to make a suggestion. Note that I'm not an "official" here, but there are some standards we follow here and I'm just trying to be helpful.

#1) Instead of posting a string of posts (as you've done), try consolidating it all into a single post. PTrope (our mod) is a reasonable guy, but "technically" what you're doing meets the definition of "spamming." You can edit your posts and copy the contents of the later posts into your initial one, for instance.

#2) You may have noticed that your images aren't showing up. There's nothing wrong with your posts... you simply don't have enough posts to put up images here yet. You'll notice that by my having "quoted" your posts, the images show up. Again... put them into a single post and each "quoted reply" will let them show up.

#3) I haven't seen all your images, but note that there's a "sticky" in the forum which asks to keep image sizes low (1024 wide, max), and to use thumbnails when possible. Again, this being an "art" forum, images are sort of expected... but I've gotten a few comments about my own tendency to post big images and lots of them, and unless it's my own thread, I try very hard to only post thumbnails. Worth considering. :)

Again... nice work, and welcome! :)

EDIT: I see the images are showing up now... seems our mod has activated them? :)

Also, now that I can see, it's clear that you're keeping the images small. So... nevermind! :)

12. Capt Dazio

[LEFT]Thank you Cary L. Brown. I think I have understood, about what you mean. If I put all the images in the same post, it will go well? How do I delete messages ?

[LEFT]Do you think I can add more images, or not ?

I do not understand a thing, I'm lost! ;)[/LEFT]
    [/LEFT]

13. Cary L. Brown

You can't actually "delete" a message, but you can remove the contents. If I did that, I'd probably say "(deleted to consolidate posts)" as the only thing left in the original post.

As for having lots of images in a single post, you might want to look at a thread in this forum which I've started. LOTS of images. (Including some large ones in the earliest posts.)

14. Capt Dazio

I am not sure that he could continue, since I do not understand any English well.
    I prefer to stop here is not dramatic, because my work is set in France, Italy, Belgium and Switzerland. Sorry to have created problems.

15. Cary L. Brown

Please, continue to post your progress. It's very interesting!

16. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A very promising start.
    Do you intend to make the corners of the room curved like the original set?

17. Praetor

Yes, please do continue!

18. Capt Dazio

Well, dear friends. Sorry, but I had a doubt on the possibility of continuing. I replace the images and I add what I made.

19. Capt Dazio

This corridor which I present you below possesses three different ceilings among which two of the same type.
    Here is the ceiling starboard of the corridor. Finally, the cut is easy, outside time to dedicate to it. I began the first painting works, and I am anxious to say that this point represents a big problem for me!

[​IMG]

Here is the second type of ceiling, central that there.

[​IMG]

The whole corridor. The numbers indicate us the future points of light.

[​IMG]

This sight returns well the aspect of the corridors of Enterprise.

[​IMG]

20. Praetor

You know, if you have the space and are ambitious enough, it looks like you could do a great job recreating the entire set plan. :)

Edit: Wow! I didn't realize you were doing ceilings and detailing the corridor so well - and practical lights. Are you actually doing the whole thing? The colors look like a perfect match, also.