Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 9 2014, 04:40 PM   #106
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: "The Trouble With Tribbles" is the most overrated episode of TOS..

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
...Wait, seriously? Ratio about the same? Amok Time, Doomsday Machine and Mirror Mirror are all before Tribbles in s2; Patterns of Force and Omega Glory are after. You don't see a difference in "quality ratio" there??
I actually have "The Omega Glory" in my personal top 10.
Old July 9 2014, 04:44 PM   #107
BillJ
Admiral

mos6507 wrote: View Post
This is kind of the "Stairway to Heaven" syndrome where once something is lionized beyond a certain extent it always triggers an unfair backlash.
The backlash isn't unfair if the material wasn't that great to begin with. There are quite a few Led Zeppelin songs I'd rather listen to than "Stairway...". Just like there are quite a few TOS episodes I rank higher than "The Trouble with Tribbles". It represents a nice change-of-pace episode, but is wildly overrated. Much like TNG's "The Inner Light" and DS9's "The Visitor".
Old July 9 2014, 04:56 PM   #108
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

mos6507 wrote: View Post
If that's the basis, what do you think of City on the Edge of Forever?
This is kind of the "Stairway to Heaven" syndrome where once something is lionized beyond a certain extent it always triggers an unfair backlash.
Sure; like loving U2 in 1980-83, until everyone else starts loving them; and then you decide you hate them. Or refusing to see Titanic because too many people revere it.

No, Tribbles was never a great exemplar of Star Trek. It's a fun-but-offbeat little episode, a departure from the normal tone of the series. A change of pace. It's nice to have an occasional change of pace, but that can't be the basis of the show. I don't think what we're doing in this thread is "backlash," I think it's more a tempering of placement. Tribbles is not part of the hot mess that is season 3; it's nowhere near the worst episode of Star Trek. But it's nowhere near the best either.

City is everything it's cracked up to be. It's an awesome hour of television. If it isn't the very best episode of Trek, and I'm not saying it isn't, then it's only because some other episode might showcase the premise a bit better. For example, Doomsday Machine has the ship and space opera elements much more prominent in it; Amok Time has an alien culture much more prominent in it. That might push one of those other episodes ahead. Or it might not.

(Those 3, in some order, are my "best episode" trinity.)
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:02 PM   #109
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
I actually have "The Omega Glory" in my personal top 10.
Ha. Awesome. Rock on!

...is wildly overrated. Much like TNG's "The Inner Light" and DS9's "The Visitor".
OMG, I was so disappointed when I finally saw Inner Light. I'd been hearing a build-up for years, and I had finally started to acknowledge some decent qualities in TNG, had seen a couple eps that I thought were not bad. I was ready to give TNG's "best episode" a fair chance. And – nothing! That episode actually made me mad.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:14 PM   #110
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post

And yet it was okay to keep running into parallel Earths.
But there was an actual reason for that: to make the series more affordable. I'm not sure Star Trek would've ever made it to air without them.
I'm fine with that. I'm also fine with Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development; i.e. something in-universe that explains it. But I recall that Gene, IRL, tried explaining it away by citing the vast infinity of the cosmos and the odds that things would be duplicated. (Apparently within a few light-years of Earth! )

So— to also complain about the odds of running into the same guy more than once is ... odd.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 05:25 PM   #111
BillJ
Admiral

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
OMG, I was so disappointed when I finally saw Inner Light. I'd been hearing a build-up for years, and I had finally started to acknowledge some decent qualities in TNG, had seen a couple eps that I thought were not bad. I was ready to give TNG's "best episode" a fair chance. And – nothing! That episode actually made me mad.
I felt the same way about Voyager's "Living Witness". I had missed it first run and didn't get to see it until several years later and it had built up quite the reputation as a great episode by then.
Old July 9 2014, 05:52 PM   #112
Dennis
The Man

Agree with the OP.