IDW Star Trek Ongoing...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

*ahem* no story ideas:p (they might actually end up doing so...)

Also wasn't the Kelvin-Enterprise already somnehow involved in the Dominion War? And Q or something? Or both in one story?

I kinda hope that this Endeavour will be the counterpart to Vanguard's Endeavour.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't see the issue. They're part of the Star Trek universe. Can't wait for them to show up on Discovery and the Kelvin-universe films.

C.E. Evans likes this.
  3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Yeah but they were forced into a future by Q, that timeline died when he returned them back. Remember in canon he showed a potential future to Picard that never came to pass e.g the last two episodes of season 7.
    But digging into future canon for present Kirk and co shows lack of imagination, so far they created orginal stories and aliens. Even their version of TOS was slightly different - I liked their Mirror mirror story.

4. Nyotarules

The issue is it shows lack of imagination, create new aliens and leave reboot Picard, Janeway and Sisko with their own bad guys. What next, Kirk gets lost in the Delta quadrant for 70 years and meets the Hirogen, Kremin and the treehead folks?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

They actually did a Delta Quadrant arc already in Ongoing, though it was short and didn't feature any familiar species.

6. Nyotarules

Was that the Behemoth issue?

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Eyridice.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That was its beginning -- the story ended with them stranded in the DQ. Then came the "Eurydice" 3-parter set in the DQ, and then somehow they were already back in the AQ in the next storyline, "The Tholian Webs" -- which posited that Tholian space was on the border between the Alpha and Delta Quadrants. Also that there was a border between those two quadrants, which... there isn't. There's a border between Alpha and Beta and one between Beta and Delta. Alpha and Delta only touch tip-to-tip at the center of the galaxy.

9. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

In the novel TOS - Allegiance in Exile, Kirk and the Enterprise make first contact with the Bajorans via some of their colonies. And a Vanguard novel mentions that Federation colonists have already made first contact with the Cardassians.

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

There was canon contact even before that; DS9 mentioned Iloja of Prim, a Cardassian exile living on Vulcan in the 22nd century during Tobin's time. (Elaborated on later in the novels, of course.)

11. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Additionally, there's a dedicated New Visions thread: http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/idw-star-trek-new-visions-john-byrne.244747/

12. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to admit, I am looking forward to the new Boldly Go series--and the inclusion of the Borg. I can understand the reluctance of some to jump on board with such a story, but I think it will be fun.

And we don't quite know the extent to which Kirk and Co. learn anything about the Borg, or even their actual interactions with the Collective.

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but I don't get the impression the YA novels are in continuity with the comics. IIRC, IDW's Starfleet Academy series is not consistent with them.
    Cardassians actually are mentioned in Trek XI. And earlier in the comics Harry Mudd had a Bajoran daughter.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

One of those retrocausality changes in the Kelvin timeline is that the letter delta now comes between beta and gamma in the Greek alphabet.

Oh, wait, maybe that was Prime, and that's why the quadrants are labelled the odd way they are there. Kelvin then "fixed" it. I guess we actually live in Kelvin!

15. BillJ

No one is forcing you to read them. The Borg are interesting. The Borg vs. Kirk is interesting. So, why not? Them being used doesn't preclude Picard and Company from using them. Also, I've never heard complaints about TNG and beyond using TOS villains.

16. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

Ok, I didn't know that (probably because I didn't read the story.)

17. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Markonian likes this.
  18. Nyotarules

TNG created new villans/aliens.The Ferengi (for a time), Q and The Borg, they did not rehash dangers from the past e.g The Tholian Web, The Apollo God,

19. BillJ

But, they used Klingons, Romulans and a slew of other things from TOS. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At first I was kind of annoyed they were working in stuff from the 24 century shows, but then I realized that this is a different universe, so there's really nothing to prevent these encounters from happening earlier. My main objection to things like this in TOS stories is just the ridiculous things they end up doing to make sure no one knows what happened or everyone forgets it or something.