Vulcan sense of smell

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

ENT played this up quite a bit, with T'Pol's disgust at being near humans and Porthos. Did this all start with two lines from Spock in separate productions?

In TOS: Obsession, he's talking with Garrovick when he senses the cloud creature coming through the air vent. In ST: The Final Frontier (I think it is), Kirk makes an off-hand comment about needing a shower, and Spock sniffs and says "Yes."

In VOY, when Tuvok first meets Neelix, he recommends a bath.

Are there other occurrences?

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

We've seen Spock burning incense in his quarters aboard the Enterprise. Does that count?

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

It does occur to me that viewed from a certain vantage point, it can really seem like a lot of Vulcans are just jerks.

Voodoowoman2 likes this.
  4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nuUhura's scent doesn't seem to bother nuSpock...

5. Melakon

I don't know. In the olden days, I used to burn incense before lighting a joint.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Neelix had just gotten out of his space garbage scow, his bridge literally being so full of trash he had to wade through it to get to the viewscreen. So yeah... I think a human would've recommended a bath too and probably less politely. So I'm inclined to dismiss that incident to being Neelix just smelled like trash.

BigJake pretty much is right... a lot of Vulcans -are- just jerks. Okay you embrace logic and suppress emotion, that's great. You think it would be logical to come to the conclusion that deliberately making comments that will piss off those emotional species is counter productive at best. Especially when you serve on a ship full of them or are the freaking ambassador to their planet.

7. Melakon

Yeah, Vulcans do sometimes seem to intentionally push people's buttons just so they can criticize them for being emotional, then take the moral high ground by claiming to be superior beings. That guy at the dinner party in ENT: Breaking the Ice is a prime example.

8. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's worth noting that in Broken Bow, Archer specifies that Vulcan females have a heightened sense of smell.

9. Melakon

^ But we'd seen several Vulcan females in other productions, and this was never before mentioned or implied.

10. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. In fact, I never really liked Spock until the movies.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe it's clarified in an early ENT episode that only Vulcan females have the enhanced sense of smell.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Iamnotspock

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the many reasons I ignore Enterprise.
    Vulcans suddenly have smell issues. Vulcans are suddenly behaving like Romulans (which they retconned later one by "Oh look, we found the true teachings of Surak, NOW we're the guys you came to know). Klingon first contact and the creation of the prime directive, is not anything like Picard described it, etc...

13. Melakon

ENT's biggest sin was making a lot of things different just to make them different.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed.

Another lovely thing was "Time travel is impossible." Dude, the core audience of your show knows that it's not.

Though it would have been interesting to make it somewhat a mystery if Archer was just crazy, was being tricked, or if he really was in contact with a time traveler.

15. Melakon

This is something that slipped into the Berman-era stories a little too much for my tastes. They'd have a good starting premise, but too often we the audience would know what was actually going on before the characters figured it out. They'd set up a good mystery to solve, and then give us the answer well before the final act. Even TOS: The Cage does it a bit, letting us see the Talosians before Pike is captured.

16. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah! :scream: Vulcans suck! I bet they stink! Green-blooded, inhuman...

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Most Vulcans smell of dust.."

18. Melakon

But only when they spread their legs.

19. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Good time for...
    [​IMG]

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Pol had an almost religious devotion to the Vulcan Science Institute's declaration that time travel was impossible, even with tons of evidence to the contrary.

Hey I think time travel is impossible too. But if I start seeing evidence of it thrown in my face, I'm sure I would start to reevaluate that belief.