Best place to buy books for Authors?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Johnhead99, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

I like doing what I can for the others. Does it matter where I get the book from? Do they get more or less based on if you pre-order? I usually buy new if I can to get more copies sold, but I've been going through Amazon. My friend said he always goes staight through simon's website. It is just a thought.

2. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

As long as you buy the books new, it makes little difference to us from whom you buy them. Online, in-store, it's all the same — again, as long as you buy it new and not used.

3. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Dave is correct. We get the royalty based on copies sold. Doesn't matter who sold 'em. So as long as you're buying the book new, we're good. :)

4. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Great. Thanks guys. And I'll continue to buy new. It's important to feed the hand that serves me my drug. ;)

5. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

*looks at the number of $8.00 books I still need to read before Destiny*
    *looks at bank account*

:scream:

This is what Christmas is for, right?

6. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

How about cheap reduced stock from places like Amazon Marketplace which appeared to be 'remaindered'?

Guess that's the one exception with the buy new rule?

7. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Not sure about that. My instinct would be that "remaindered" is not the same as new, but I'll let an editor who knows the business side of things speak to that.

8. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Well a lot of stuff on Amazon Marketplace is sold as new and appears new but given the books are distributed on a sale or return basis (as far as I know) it seems fairly obvious that when I'm paying £2 for a 'new' Trek book something is amiss...

9. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Books sold at a certain threshold below the catalog retail price result in the author receiving a reduced royalty payment. This is specified in the author's contract.