Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I had noticed the reach-back to Hickman and Weaver's work re: "spear and shield" sister organizations.

And I note that mainland China's not the first country in 616-ville to do this stuff. Canada's Department H (from whence came Alpha Flight), the Soviet-era Leviathan organization, and so on being established precedents in continuity.

2. DEWLine

I do think SPEAR's official claim of 150,000 personnel on the payroll, "sixteen airships" (which I suspect are not unlike the Circle), and only having started up in the wake of Infinity are somewhat dubious. After all, we're talking about a time span of probably less than a year in the characters' lives for editorial purposes.

They could make a legitimate case for having had this in the works much further back in continuity. Say, back when word got out about Namor's first modern invasion of NYC in Fantastic Four?

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D. is not always an American institution... I think it currently is-ish, "Nick Fury said #### the UN, their money is not worth their shitty attitude" probably 10 years back in in a Garth Ennis' Punisher, and no one has reversed that to any real degree. S.H.I.E.L.D. answers to the US President, not the UN Security Council.

But when S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't American, then even America needs an answer to S.H.I.E.L.D..

What I think the pitchman (terrible super hero name) in Avengers World said is that Spear had 150,000 "noncovert" operatives. Which is soldiers anylists, techs and beuracrats... But it's a fricking spy organization. A conservative estimate would be to quadruple that figure to acount for their covert operatives, but a generous guess would be that one out of three Chinese Nationals anywhere in the globe is accepting money from these people on some level just to listen and repeat... Of course if it's just a question of worshipping the Yen, or a bag of uncut diamonds now and then, then it's really racist to think that only the Chinese would be in the service of Spear... One in three people of any nationality are working for Spear, but of those Spear Agents, at least one in four of them are reporting back to at least one other government identical secrets so they can be paid 5 times for the same useless twaddle and autocoroborate in the proccess.

This is how you make a triple agent. :)

4. Guy Gardener

You should all think about reading Magneto.

He's wandering the American heartland murdering people who might be secret Sentinels.

It's awesome.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^It's one of the books I'd be reading if I had more disposable income for comics.

6. Guy Gardener

If you buy comics, you're allowed to hang out and read some of the new stuff on the shelves.

I remember walking into the primary comic shop that was having money problems because the new owner, the old owners son, was an alcoholic gambler, and all the new release books had been sealed in mylar plastic bags.

I think they lost a lot of money that week, since that's about how long they lasted doing that.

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto.
    Decided to Trade wait the Magneto book. I'm looking forward to the first Invaders Trade as well. That should be forthcoming. Anyone read the Shang Chi book yet or Iron Fist? Budget constraints on those being floppy buys as well.

I did drop She-Hulk though. The opening arc about Doom's son seeking political asylum with art I found unappealing for 4 issues was all I could stomach. I rarely stop before an arc is done but doing it this time. Silver Surfer is walking a tight rope as again it's got a questionable hook with this new female that not only is the SS supposed to instantly care about but us as well.

I'm indifferent on the All New Ghost Rider. I like we finally got something as far as background in issue #3 on this demon that's in the car buy why can it bestow power to the kid(sad, i can't recall his name right now). Does it have ties to Zarathos, is it something else, why is it usurping another demons "gig". Still need some explaining, especially if it's not an avenging angel as was asked.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kaare Andrews "Iron Fist: The Living Weapon" seems to be getting good reviews from what I've seen. I've debated about picking it up.

9. Guy Gardener

Invaders is awful, I don't like the art on Iron Fist of Surfer, so I can't even look at the words, Ghostrider on four wheels left me cold, especially now that the idea of Nick Fury as a Ghost Rider with a Ghost Hellicarrier is actually a possibility,

10. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

James Robinson hasn't written anything good that isn't Starman related since his first departure from DC. The traditional explanation that editor Archie Goodwin was instrumental in Starman and Golden Age becomes obvious with each passing day. Pity DC cancelled the Shade comic, that was the only good thing he has written in these ten years aside from maybe the LXG movie.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Invaders is awesome. so is All New Ghost Rider. i don't care too much for the current Iron Fist comic. She Hulk is...ok. i may drop it eventually.

12. Admiral_Young

I love the Alldred's art on "Silver Surfer". I think it compliments Slott's writing and the tone of the book perfectly.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Aldred's art is better suited for Surfer and I can deal but it was a deal breaker on FF.
    I got the first issue free about 5-7mo after if first came out at Free Comic Book Day '13 cause my LCS had a crap ton for some reason(I'm guessing to obtain Variants for some customers) and he just gave them away. I might've stuck around to figure out the convoluted family structure with those aliens and what have you but She Hulk looked horrid. Scott Lang looked bad, normal landscapes didn't impress me. Aldred just not my overall cup of tea.

14. Admiral_Young

I loved his art on Future Foundation...it was out of place on Fantastic Four, but it worked for FF.

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Too bad SS seems to be trying to ripoff Dr. Who.

16. Admiral_Young

It's not a rip off of "Doctor Who" it's Slott's homage to "Doctor Who". He's a huge fan.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

New Avengers #19: I finally felt like the story was advancing here and I liked this one. I particularly liked them attempting a dialogue with the Justice League and Namor deciding to stop wasting their time :lol:

All New X-Men #28: they finally managed to make the Future Brotherhood into interesting characters! Huzzah!

18. Guy Gardener

So Mystique is just making babies with everyone?

It wouldn't be so hard for her to step infront of most anyone unloading their sperms someplace they think is familiar.

Getting past Wolverines nose had to be as difficult as getting under Chuck's telepathy... Although in that tragic little self titled series they had her in a decade back, she was a good girl working for Xavier.

So maybe they have a truce now and then?

Besides, Raven is old.

"I lived through World War I" old.

Maybe she gets sick of fucking children?

19. DEWLine

The USA has a plethora of agencies that would be filling the same role as Department H, SPEAR, and so on. STARS, ONE, Project Wideawake, and on and on...

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I finally read Grant Morrison's Marvel Boy mini-series. If you're reading Original Sin this is an absolute must read! It's the introduction of the villains of the series! It's a bizarre but interesting story, as most Morrison books are.