What If V'Ger had destroyed Earth?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Shat Happens, Apr 14, 2014.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Good points!

I hadn't remembered that there were few/no ships near Earth when Enterprise launched. Where the heck were all those other ships? Anywhoo... you're right in that Starfleet, at least the physical fleet, would be short one ship but otherwise unaffected.

Now with the loss of Vulcan in ST09, I think that should slow down advances in technology, since those vast learning centers are gone. Of course, Marcus compensates for this in STID by bringing back Khan and building Vengeance, so YMMV.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

For Starfleet and the Federation, one would assume they keep most of their ships operating all over the Federation, with interest in the borders, around Starbases, and probably along trade routes.

V'Ger was moving towards Earth at fairly high warp speed if Enterprise is basically creeping up behind it at Warp 7. There might have been other ships in the area between where Epsilon Nine detected it, but maybe none that were fast enough (the only "Starship" in interception range was Enterprise. V'Ger was already 3 days out from Earth by the time Kirk is asking to get Enterprise back.)

We don't know if any other ships were at Earth just not able to move, nor if there crews were on Earth.

3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

You just get the sense in TMP that there aren't a lot of ships in the fleet and they are all spread out far and wide. In Trek II you get another ship (The Reliant) and in Trek III you have Earth Space Dock which, if retconned to have existed within TMP's timeline, would make it hard to believe no other ships were in the viciniy.

4. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Yeah, heck it's not until the TNG era that there's any real sense of a fleet.

Then there's TOS The Ultimate Computer, were we see five star fleet ships. We don't get that again until what, First Contact?

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the 'Phase II' TV pilot version of the TMP script, Kirk's role as an Admiral encompasses fleet operations. So when Admiral Nogura asks him which ships are nearest to Earth, Kirk rattles out a list of ships in the wider area, but admits that none of them are in a position advantageous to intercept V'Ger. Of course, in this early version I think the amount of time before V'Ger reaches Earth is actually less time than in the actual movie, so it's more a case of not having the time to create an armada.

Realistically, I can only echo what others have already said: TOS seemed to infer that Starfleet was still relatively small at that point in time, or that the technology was simply such that the ships just couldn't leave their postings en route to Earth quickly enough to form an effective defence. TNG's version of Starfleet was not only much bigger, but also much faster and better equipped.

Let's face it, I think the V'Ger situation was treated as the first time in a long time that Earth had been under direct threat from anything, so it wouldn't surprise me if Starfleet's resources were not devoted to keeping ship's parked in orbit just on the off-chance that somebody attacks the planet. Maybe the V'Ger Incident acted as a kind of 9/11 for those folks, resulting in the construction of the Spacedock we later see in TSFS/TVH/TFF etc. It might have jolted the powers that be back into realising that their little blue planet can come under threat every so often, and they really needed to be ready in case it does.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

One wonders if the term "Starship" is something from Archer's time. A ship that can go Warp 5 would be a starship. Maybe Starfleet didn't have all that many ships that could go Warp 5, or they upped the definition of "starship" and the warp factor to warp 8 when the Constitutions came about. This would give a limit to the number of "starships" in the "quadrant" and make it logical even if they had ships in the area they would not be fast enough to catch, let alone intercept, V'Ger.

Could also be why just about every ship in TNG timeframe is a starship...they all go so quickly compared to Archer and Kirk's times.

7. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I hear this is the plot for Star Trek 3.