The Battlestar Galacticafication of Stargate has began!

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Dusty Ayres, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It wasn't anything like 50 billion, silly.

2. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, Stargate meets BSG and Voyager XD

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Battlestar Wiki reads, "estimated 50 billion." So, yeah, it was.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hopefully optimistic, mainly because John Scalzi is the creative consultant, and since I love his books I hope that he can provide a new point of view for SGU.
    I can go for darker storylines, but I have trouble with the shaky cam. I don't like motion sickness while sitting on my couch.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you.

Didn't Starbuck or someone on the show say like 50 billion?

12 planets, how many people do you think are on each planet? Say it's only 2 billion, that's still 24 billion people dead.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think Tigh mentioned the number of dead in the Resistance webisodes, but it was surely mentioned in the series, too. I just don't remember by who.

7. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

And I just saying that I saw some similarities, that's all.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it comes from an episode where Starbuck is getting pissed by Gaeta's bitching, just before his mutiny. She says something like "50 billion people are dead, but the universe has to cry over Felix Gaeta losing a leg."

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Hopefully the crew won't declare technology to be evil and toss the Destiny into the sun in the last episode.:guffaw:

10. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

We should not sacrifice Stargate. We've made too many compromises already. Too many retreats.

Stargate assimilates entire shows and we fall back. They copied Voyager and we fell back. Now they look like they will copy BSG.

Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far! No further!

11. HairOfTheDog

HairOfTheDog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed. They even have their own Baltar, "for crying out loud!"

12. HairOfTheDog

HairOfTheDog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anyway, what really set Stargate SG-1 apart from Atlantis and the new upcoming series was that it was based on Earth. I have a feeling that without Earth being in the picture so rarely that it's going to be hard to really "get into it."

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

So no visits to the medieval-craft-fair village set in the woods most every week then?

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Pfft yeah and she was always right, right? If one little bit of Caprica had dozens of resistance fighters then I guess quite a few survived all over the colonies.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It was mentioned in The Resistance, too, by Tigh. But it seems silly to argue over this, so, whatever.

16. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    :guffaw::guffaw:

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm glad someone liked that post... :)

18. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Commodore Commodore

Yes, I watched the final episode. I said as much in the part of my quote that you didn't quote. And, no, I don't consider humanity giving up all of its technology and scattering to the four winds to revert back to barbarism a heartening end to the series. Plus, the robot montage at the very end — 150,000 years after Galactica arrived on our Earth — was somewhat corny.

Gatekeeper

19. Gatekeeper

**LOL** This just inspired me to go out and purchase the Blu-ray version of "Star Trek: First Contact."

Gatekeeper

20. Gatekeeper

That's true, to a point. I did admire the Adamas, Galen Tyrol and Kat (I think that was her name ... the fighter pilot who died guiding the fleet through the region of space filled with radiation). Tigh, too, to a certain degree.

Never did like Starbuck or most of the others, though. Gaeta was OK until he started losing his mind and rebelled.

Eh. I've watched and read plenty of other material to know that everyone reacts differently to loss. nBSG focused a lot on the darkness and pretty much thrived on it. The ending didn't leave me feeling at all heartened, either.

For all of its critical acclaim, nBSG never took off with the mainstream audience. I believe part of it had to do with the dark nature of the show. Another part of it probably had to do with the fact that when it comes to the words "science fiction," people have preconceived notions of it, thus unfairly impacting such SF material right out of the chute.

Gatekeeper