Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Uncle Ben is central to Spider-Man's origin story. Why would he not be included?

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

At least they aren't making Ben and May useless walking corpse people like the comics keep making them.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The Untold Story, the mocking edition.
    [​IMG]

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:Nice. I am rather baffled by that tag line. I guess they're trying to get across the fact that they're taking a different approach to the story, but you'd think they could have found a different way to communicate that.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still think it is a homage to Kurt Busiek's Untold Tales of Spider-Man :)

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's pretty simple.

The general audience has never found out why Peter is living with his aunt and uncle.

Do some people not care about why and ask why? Sure but Sony is grasping at anything.

In the next reboot Sony will capitalize on finding out how Peter arrived at his Uncles house LOL

Sony- Did you know he arrived in a Ford? No? Great!

8. Admiral_Young

9. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The untold story concerns Uncle Ben's fall from grace as scandal rips away his lucrative rice business and leaves him transformed into a sad white man.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's sort of an odd gripe to make. You could argue "everyone knows the story" of Superman, Batman and The Hulk but their first movies (one of which has two origin movies and the other an origin movie in the pipeline.)

Now, I admit, it is odd for them to make another origin movie just 10 years or so after the first one, but the way that poster puts it it seems like Spider-Man's origins should be fairly common knowledge.

Superman has been around since the 1930's and his origins are ingrained into popular culture heavily yet his origins are constantly hashed out in media forms. So, what point is that fan poster trying to make?

11. Admiral_Young

As pointed out just a page or so ago...it's not odd at all for hollywood to make a remake of a movie with short time of separation. Look at "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"...they started the remake a year after the originals came out. Also the Batman films will be relaunching in a couple of years after this year's "The Dark Knight Rises" so I don't know why people complain about this particular point so much. Hollywood sees cash. They're going to go after it no matter what.

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

If that was the case, they would have used "Untold Tale" instead of an over-used cliche.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I've said before, I don't have a problem with the fact that the movie is coming out, or the fact that it's another origin story. I just don't care for that tagline, that's all.

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" isn't a great example. The first version was a Swedish production, not a Hollywood film.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's just so tiresome. Everyone and his dog knows who Spiderman, Superman and Batman are and where they came from. Just give it a damn rest already and make a movie that just jumps right into it.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree there's the risk of this being another long and tedious Batman Begins-style origin, but hopefully the fact the movie's being done in a completely different style from Raimi's Spider-Man will at least make it seem a bit surprising and fresh.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Someone should go a different route and start a Robin movie series. Do a serious take on his origin story and have Batman around, but make Robin the main character. You could eventually lead into a Nightwing movie where Batman is completely absent.

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What makes you think it's 'completely' different? Both are set in the present (as opposed to, for example, a 1960s period piece), for example. The sets look reasonably similar, etc. Yeah, I see some differences but nothing that would make me think we going from (for example) Adam West Batman to Chris Nolan Batman.

For my money I don't want to see another Batman origin film either.

This.

The James Bond films have been quite successful without origin stories and with "soft reboots" every ten years or so. These three characters are at least as established as Bond at this point. There's no reason to keep retelling the same story, other than intellectual laziness and creative bankruptcy.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it looks about a hundred times grittier and more realistic, and a whole lot less cartoonish.

I thought the difference in tone and style shown in the trailer was really obvious, myself. It looks more like a David Fincher movie than anything Sam Raimi would ever do.