The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The definitive example of how not to upscale SD is given by the Blu-ray version of Peacekeeper Wars as distributed in Germany.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah that posed a quandary for me a few days ago. I was considering getting the Farscape BD set, but it doesn't include PKW, and I'm not getting that woeful German version.

3. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't compared them side to side, but I recall the 'HD' version having a lot of awful ghosting effects that the SD doesn't.

4. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

So guys ... less than 30 days? Is it time to squeee yet?

5. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

That's pretty good, plus you get it a day early. Hopefully you or others in the UK will post 1080p screenshots. :drool:

I'm in the US and for me it would come out to $13.82 with delivery around 6-10 business days... so obviously it's better for me to stick with the domestic release at $14.99 with release day delivery (January 31st).

7. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

I'd love too, if only I had a BD-ROM drive :p

8. Maxwell Everett

Well, if we keep our eyes peeled, we may see some more screenshots in about two weeks.

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I keep hoping for CBS Digital or rather CBS' marketing wing to get the whole social media marketing thing on this. Hire a community manager for the project who sets up a blog and a Twitter feed and a Facebook page, and trickle out info as the project goes to town over the next few years, to keep up awareness (and thus rev up sales) as people retweet and share and subscribe. It's an obvious opportunity for this given that you have a sequential release of content over a longer time frame, and there's ample behind the scenes stuff to draw from as well.

I suppose they kind of did do this on TOS-R back then with the per-episode media packages, with TrekMovie.com acting as the blog. I hope they'll do it again, but even better and a bit more official.

A good example that comes to mind is the official Tumblr blog for the new Tomb Raider game: http://officialtombraiderblog.tumblr.com/

One might say that the TNG audience is a tad to old for this to be the right fit, but then this might actually bring in some new and younger folks. People want to follow and actively fan stuff these days more than ever. Feed 'em.

Drex, you reading this? One could hope. You get this! Suggest it to the right people! :)

10. BrownShatner

BrownShatner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Right. I'm pretty sure the original season 1/2 episodes were not originally aired this way, but somewhere along the way these muddy & dark transfers were slipped into the rotation.

(I recall reading that the early seasons were distributed as 16mm film rather than videotape and telecined by each individual station. For whatever reason, seasons 1/2 were not in the regular rerun rotation in my area until after TNG was off the air. Perhaps the official studio tapes were only done later as a half-hearted effort.)

And lousy picture quality was pretty common for syndicated television in those days. They would often show old movies with what looked like fourth generation prints which had been lying around in a basement for ten years. TOS episodes also looked like beat-up crap until Paramount redistributed them in the mid 1990s.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

The video quality of the Blu-ray version of the series is damn well indistinguishable from the upscaled PAL DVDs - to my aged eyesight at least. The only real benefits are subtitles (which aren't included on the DVDs that I have) and much improved audio.

Anyway, more on topic, play.com has the TNG taster Blu-ray listed for £7.99 - £1 more than amazon.co.uk. I'm not switching 'though as I find Play's delivery is generally much swifter.

12. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's because the Blu-ray version of Farscape is upscaled from the PAL masters, and not native HD.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Yeah, I know - even with better compression algorithms, I can't see much difference in the image from the DVDs apart from each episode occupying about 7.5GB of disc space instead of 1.5GB.

14. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless you have Prime!

15. Asbo Zaprudder

I could sign up for the one-month free trial but it hardly seems worth the effort to save £1. Amazon have cocked up several orders in the past so I tend not to trust their competence. Play have never got an order wrong.

16. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I believe you're thinking of TOS.

17. BrownShatner

BrownShatner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, reruns of any 60s/70s show would have been distributed as film not videotape. However, I think that practice may have continued into the late 80s with TNG episodes. I do know movies were distributed as 16mm well into this era.

Either way, the TNG season 1/2 transfers we have been watching for the last 15 years are definitely worse than the others; they look more like generation loss (print of a print) than intentionally darker. It will be interesting to see how these episodes look with a fresh transfer from the original negs.

18. Maxwell Everett

Not 15... it's been almost 25 years now!

What you're seeing is the fact that those seasons were finished on 1 inch analog type C composite videotape, while later seasons were component D1 (digital video).

I don't believe they would have considered doing a 16mm film-out with their low-quality video sources, then expected TV stations to do their own telecine back from film. What would be the purpose of that? The various affiliate TV stations across the country would have likely just recorded the analog satellite signal at a given time and then just re-broadcast it to their viewers. There's your generation loss.

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I have it because I piggyback on my housemate's account. It's useful but otherwise I wouldn't pay the annual fee for it. Play have always been excellent for me too.

20. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.