Academy

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by arthurb16, Mar 29, 2015.

1. arthurb16

arthurb16 Cadet Newbie

Is it possible to build and maintain a Star Trek Academy using the guidelines of Gene Roddenberry including the Prime Directive??

2. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Until we get confirmation that there's any other intelligent life out there, I'm not sure there's a need for the prime directive IRL ;)

3. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I suppose the Prime Directive could be applied to the world as it is today. It would simply mean leaving developing countries alone rather than taking an active role in their development.

I'm not sure how worthwhile an academy would be pre-First Contact, though. Give the Vulcans a few more years to notice us.

4. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure. There's no point in doing it, but go ahead.

Motion to appoint ArthurB16 the first Commandant of Starfleet Academy.

Second?

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are the "guidelines of Gene Roddenberry", please?

6. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm assuming that OP is referring to the ideals set forth by Gene Roddenberry in the original Star Trek. Utopian society, non-interference, exploration and discovery, no currency or class system, etc.

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That wasn't really the original Trek. It was retconned by GR later, in 70s con appearances, and put on screen in his TNG years.

TOS was "Wagon Train to the Stars." Basically, cowboys in space.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Most those were vague and not always thought up by Roddenberry.

The Prime Directive is a plot point designed to created conflict. Forcing the characters to make a hard choice.

Star Trek is not about living in a Utopia. Earth might be a called a "paradise" but I doubt it's true. There is always conflict somewhere in the Galaxy.

In TOS there interfered as much as not. Exploration and discovery were often the launch point for action and adventure often involving battle.

The non currency thing seems to be an invention of the post TMP films, which Roddenberry wasn't involved in. It was picked up by the TNG+ series, yet still there were references to credits, which appear to be a form of currency.

Not sure class was ever fully addressed. Being at best paramilitary, there is a hierarchy in Starfleet. Rank doth have its privileges.

9. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

I don't think people can decide if Gene was influential on Star Trek or not.

Yep, that's what ST did. They went around, shot the bad guys and got the girl at the end. Week after week.

10. Nerys Myk

You probably don't get the reference. Wagon Train was an actual TV show. One of the adult Westerns Roddenberry was trying to emulate when he pitched Star Trek. A Network executive in the 1960s would get what GR was talking about when he used this "pitch shorthand". He wanted to do an adult Science Fiction show along the lines of Wagon Train, Bonanza and Gunsmoke. Make SF adult in the way those shows made Westerns adult and not kiddie fare like Roy Rogers or Captain Video.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While I can't say for sure such exist, I would not be surprised if there were college courses in just what you asked about.

As far as the prime directive, just refuse to help the people around you. There now, you've achieved the prime directive.

:)

12. arthurb16

arthurb16 Cadet Newbie

If a Starfleet Academy were built and maintained, Anyone have any idea how much money it would take to make the Academy a reality? There are over 7 billion people in the World and many of them know about Star Trek. Would they donate money to make this happen? Imagine the best professors teaching the best young minds in the world that would include research in all aspects of science, philosophy, math, etc.

A campaign of TV spots, magazines, newspapers, etc. could be done to raise the money...maybe. Imagine Patrick Stewart, William Shatner and others go on TV and Radio, Twitter, etc. promoting the idea of an Academy to train the best of the best to become the leaders of tomorrow and beyond.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Let's wait until we have warp drive to worry about that.

14. Nerys Myk

Sounds like a scam. I cant see the best minds in the world coming to teach the best young minds in a school based on the half baked ideas of a TV producer.

15. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

Although a Starfleet Academy is a noble idea, I'm more likely to believe, given the current state of human endeavors, that we're going to become the Sith...

16. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

So should I be setting up a kickstarter for the Sith Academy.

17. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

I'd go Sith. They dress better. :lol:

18. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I'm pretty sure Starfleet Academy is more likely.

There was a Starfleet Academy in the Mirror Universe, right? ;)

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The University of Washington's yearly budget is just over a billion dollars, 180 majors, 44,000 students, about 4,300 faculty.

How big did you see this academy being?

:)

20. Ghrakh

Ghrakh Captain Captain

Indeed I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

So, they should arm both sides?