How do we get to the Star Trek future?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by wildsulu, Mar 19, 2015.

?

How do we get to the Star Trek future? (as related to space programs)

1. space agencies are doing great right now

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. more science, that's how we do it

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. more SETI (and/or broadcasting)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. more of a space race (could be military)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. focus on daring/ambitious projects

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. focus on problems on earth first

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  7. more private ventures (whatever it is)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. more cooperation internationally

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  9. less science, more human spaceflight

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. other, namely...

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. Horizons96

Horizons96 nel blu Red Shirt

Start here:

The Philosophy of Humanism, (1949), 1965 edition: Ungar Pub Co ISBN 0-8044-5595-3, 7th rev. edition 1990: Continuum Publishing Company, ISBN 0-8044-6379-4, 8th rev. edition (with gender neutral references by editors Beverley Earles and Beth K. Lamont) 1997 Humanist Press ISBN 0-931779-07-3, Online version in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (originally published in 1949 as Humanism as a Philosophy

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The author Corliss Lamont. How can someone who supported communist state governments, with all the horrors and suffering they piled upon their citizens, call themselves a humanist?

There has to be a better book out there on humanism, than one written by this twisted individual.

:wtf:

3. Horizons96

Horizons96 nel blu Red Shirt

Many well-meaning people like Lamont were drawn into the (false) promises of communism, and more specifically the philosophy of Marxism, during that time (especially in the face of brazen corruptness of certain interests in the West who had their own agendas) , but went on to later criticize some of communism's massive shortfalls.

NY Times

And I'm sure others here would of already read in his wiki:
    Wikipedia

This was anything but a "twisted individual".

I will practically guarantee you that Lamont was a hugely influential figure in Roddenberry's thinking and, thus, Star Trek.

His book 'The Philosophy of Humanism' is a great read and is easygoing enough for those less inclined to enjoy essay-like writings. I implore everyone to try and give it a go. Many of the philosophical underpinnings of Trek that we've all taken for granted over the years will become more apparent, identifiable and articulated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If necessity is the mother, who is the father? Pride, Greed, War?

The Space race was just that, a race.

5. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Star Trek future is not likely in the cards unless a fundamental change in our understanding of physics takes place alongside a massive hike in the size of energy flows our technology can control. Einstein's Special Relativity theory doesn't accommodate the whole "warp factor" thing, becoming the first basic set of physics laws we have to overturn, for instance. Not to say that human beings will never travel to another star system, or that we should give up efforts to explore outer space, but Star Trek makes it look a lot easier than it really is. The dead hulk of Voyager 1, launched in 1977, is the fastest man-made object to date, traveling toward the stars at about one parsec per 60000 years. The nearest stars are a thousand centuries away at this rate. Frankly Star Trek does better at presenting social ideals than it does at science.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I did read the PDF (admittedly skipping over some portions), and did find it a interesting read, if not a great one.

:)

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whilst not necessarily a STAR TREK future, per se, I never want to see flying cars become a reality. Celebrities who fly helicopters and small planes already crash into rivers and the sides of apartment complexes with too much regularity for my tastes. That's the last thing I want to see is a Chevy pickup flying towards my window, as I'm watching STAR TREK: INSURRECTION, with some texting moron at the wheel. I would like to see a sort of hover vehicle like what Luke Skywalker drives in the old STAR WARS movies. Of course even that has its problems, but if anyone ever got ran over by one, they could just pop up, give the driver the finger and go about their busy day, without missing a beat. And best of all, they're ground huggers - no flying into people's windows or anything like that. No more-so than with regular cars, right now, at any rate ...

8. IrishNero

IrishNero Commodore

As I have joked for many years: Perhaps the best evidence there is that there is intelligent life out there is that they have never tried to contact us. :lol:

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

:ouch:

10. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

No, that's not for another 60 years.

11. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A combination of science, ambitious projects, and private ventures.

As awful as it sounds, SETI is virtually useless. Space is too vast to rely on slow radio waves. Nobody is hearing our signals, and we aren't hearing anyone's signals. All of the money spent on these things is, unfortunately, being flushed down the drain.

Solving problems on Earth sounds good, but there's no apparent solution at this time. One does not simply say "fix Earth" and have it done. This will take time regardless, but maybe Earth's ascension to space will help unify things a bit.

The space race worked once, and it could work again, but anything further than the moon is going to require a powerful motivation to convince a government to send people there. Maybe if we discovered that Mars was made up of mostly gold and copper.

International cooperation is a good thought, but our current cooperation on things like the International Space Station is probably the limit to which we'll need to collaborate. Unless we can find a common space-related goal that would result in a large group of countries dropping tons of money and man-hours on a project.

More human spaceflight certainly isn't the way forward. As much as it's really cool to have people in space, there's not much more they can do than a probe or drone can. They're also far more difficult to transport because they require food, water, and oxygen, not to mention the fact that they probably need to be brought back. Unless it's a colonization mission.

Profit drives the world. I'm almost certain that it will be those who are looking to make a profit who will be the first to bring us closer to a warp-capable future. It's nice to think that government agencies like NASA can do the job, but really, where's the incentive? They have a (relatively) small budget and there isn't much return on investment when much of what they make is blasted into space never to return. NASA doesn't have the funding and people required to make a warp drive, but private enterprises looking to mine distant asteroids or even planets might.

12. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

We've already missed the eugenics wars, DY-100 sleeper ships, launch of the nomad probe, and building the millennium gate.

I*think our most immediate concerns are building the Sanctuary districts, creating Interface, and inventing hover cars.