Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. georgetown

georgetown Cadet Newbie

Hi there everyone. Its good to be here. seeing other fans how happy they are loving star trek. awesome!

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  2. Commodore_Sarvour

Commodore_Sarvour Lieutenant Red Shirt

First off, please accept my humble apologies.
    I have not, as of yet, introduced myself; please let me do so now.

I have had Star Trek in my life as long as I ca remember; when I was still small enough to sit on my father's lap as we watched Star Trek after he got home from work.
    In the eighties, I hated junior high, but discovered the hobbies of model building & miniatures. I started with classic cars, but Santa & my folks noted my interests in sci-fi, so AMT/ERTL kits for TOS & the movies became the norm, with Gundam mecha and Dalek & Cyberman minis rounding out the growing collection. I literally could not get enough of the Star Trek SHIPS; plastic minis & metal mins! They devoured a sizable chunk of my miniscule allowance, and was one of the few things that could keep me out of the friendly neighborhood arcade...
    And during this time I got the Doctor Who rpg from FASA & the Atari 2600; two very different introductions to gaming. It wouldn't be until the nineties that I would learn about Star Fleet Battles, and it would be the early 2000s when I finally got educated on FASA having made both RPG and Tactical Combat games for Star Trek. Why did I not see these at conventions? …
    During the last 2 years of purgatory; I mean, junior high, I made a friend who shared my interests, as well got reunited with a friend from my previous school, so now I had friends to game with and build ships with. During this time I had the ideas that would, respectively, become my main Trek persona of Commodore Sarvour, and a small group called Sarvour Shipyards.

In the nineties I got involved with KAG (Klingon Assault Group), and created two personas (i'll try to get the spellings right; memory is a touch rickety); first was Le'sAr of House Krull, an engineer. The second, was K'Zar of House Sov'vaj, an engineer from a House famous for their engineers and shipyards. I also had varying levels of involvement with numerous sci-fi groups, and even kitbashed 2 Galaxy-class kits to make a Galaxy Dreadnought for one of them, the only commissioned model I've made... It was challenging, but fun!

From 2001 to 2006, most of the groups I was involved with shrank and disbanded, with only a few lasting to the present day. It was during this time I had gotten into Warhammer 40,000, and was fairly active in the hobby. At Games Day Canada 2003 & '04, I was unbeatable, and represented the Imperium and the U.S..

After the Bush Recession I drifted from temp job to temp job, some brief some lasting many months.
    Went back to school at ITT Tech in 2014 for their Design program; ITT was closed permanently in September 2016. Before i could complete the program and get my degree.
    Soon as I find a school that won't insult me by screwing me on credit hours, I will work on finishing my degree in traditional and computer assisted design.

In 2017 the March Challenge caught my interest, and I hunkered down to do a ship redesign that had been percolating in my mind for a few years. It was a fun project and I am glad I got to do it.

Star Trek & Me:
    TOS/TAS & the TOS Movies are my #1!
    Deep Space Nine is a very, very close second!
    MY Third? Enterprise. DS9 & ENT are the only spinoffs that had me hooked in the pilot, and kept me engaged throughout the series' run.
    Fourth favorite is TNG; the pilot was interesting, and good enough to still give the show a chance. Despite I (at the time it was airing) hated the look of the ship, and those uniforms were awful. But some fans love them. *shrugs* To each their own I guess.
    Kelvin Timeline. Yes, the KT has taken VOY down a notch; despite VOY having some of my favorite episodes of all Trek. Despite the KT films being hampered both creatively and progressively by corporate bungling, they have overall disappointed me less, and satisfied me more, than VOY has overall. My biggest complaint was the poorly-rationalized super-sizing of the ship. And CBS repeated that blunder rather than own up to being too cheap/lazy to fix the shuttlebay to fit the 366-meter-long ship mister Ryan Church had designed so well.
    That leaves Voyager in sixth; in danger of getting taken down a notch by Discovery. VOY could've, and should have, been better than TNG. I blame the show runners and the writers. They had a good cast, interesting characters, and an interesting premise that set it apart from all the Treks that had come before. But the Kazons came off as garbage-patch Klingon-wannabes. They didn't do enough for the supporting cast, as they seldom got stories in which they could shine, as the show became over-focused on Janeway & Seven, and to a lesser extent The Doctor.
    Chakotay. My favorite character on the show, had 3 really good episodes, but was so sidelined by the writers and showrunners, it hurt. Instead of getting more Chakotay, we got a few episodes I can not watch; I have to leave the room or turn the tv off (for reasons).
    *deep breath*
    Discovery. The new Trek on the block. The most controversial Trek yet; but the showrunners wanted it that way, to generate publicity and entice those who would watch it out of morbid curiosity. I like the cast, not so much the redesigns...
    I am reserving judgement. They have interesting characters, though 3 of the principal 6 appear to have been significantly plagiarized along with plot/story elements. And this I will admit sours perceptions of the show, my own included. I am optimistic things will improve; trailers for the second season are rather promising. While I still have misgivings (which we can discuss at length elsewhere) I am hopeful things will only improve from here on.
    And the supporting characters about whom we still know no more than when they first appeared, we need to get to know them. I can't even recall their names, as they have barely been used, and any random extra could replace them at this point.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. WinterSoldier

WinterSoldier Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi, my name is Alek! I'm 23 years old and I'm currently (temporarily) living in New Zealand. He/Him. I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a kid, Deep Space Nine is my favourite series. At the moment, I'm re-watching all the 90's shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager) and with no IRL friends to discuss them with, I've come online.
    I'm also gay - specifically, gay for Dr Julian Bashir. As a young man I often dreamt of living in a century where everyone was too concerned with space exploration to give a damn about other people's sexuality, so Star Trek has meant a lot to me.
    I'm also really into Marvel, and other nerdy shit.

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to this forum.

Gay characters were introduced in the Trek novels. Some of them are bland, others quite interesting. Like Titan's Ranul Keru.

I hope you enjoy this place!

5. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rook here. Just got approved. Long time Trek fan and all things sci-fi (mostly). Looking forward to some Trek chat, and getting to know y'all in due time.

6. Crimson Forcefield

Crimson Forcefield Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hey guys, lifelong fan here. Grew up with the TOS movies and watched TNG religiously. Later got into Voyager and DS9 is now my favorite series with TNG a very close second. I also play Timelines under the same name.

7. Dalinar Kholin

Dalinar Kholin Cadet Newbie

Hello all,

My name's Matthew and I'm working on my third? year I think being a Star Trek fan. I've seen all of TOS/TNG, the first season of Discovery and am about halfway through DS9 season 5. I really enjoy Star Trek Online and Star Trek Timelines as well. Finally, I've joined STARFLEET International and am a Lt. Jr. Grade there.

Aside from Trek, I'm a first year special education/autism teacher in real life. I am married to my best friend of 7.5 years (working on four months of marriage!). I have 2 beautiful cats and 2 beautiful gerbils. I love Pokemon, ElderScrolls, vintage gaming, Yu Gi Oh and Pokemon cards, my Nintendo Switch, etc.

If you want to know anything else, please feel free to ask!

8. Night Shade

Night Shade Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hello everyone. I've been a Star trek fan for most of my life. I grew up watching reruns of TOS, and really grew into my fandom with TNG. I can't wait to discuss all things Trek with all of you!

9. super dooper trekkie

super dooper trekkie Cadet Newbie

hi follow trekkies and Klingons

ive just started to watch this awesome show wow its brilliant
    with its many life lessons and and social skill building,
    i cant wait for next episode i only watch a few a day so its gonna take me years to watch it
    i like captain kirk and spork there brillaint
    does any one have a theory there a couple too,
    i mean they seem very close

10. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Just wait until Welshie shows up. He's in the later seasons.

11. super dooper trekkie

sounds like futurama sir you trolling me

12. super dooper trekkie

i thought that was joke charactor sorry lord garth

13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

He's the Shemp of Star Trek.

14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome, one and all!

Kor

15. tama.maigo

tama.maigo Ensign Newbie

Hi all I joined recently, and would like to introduce myself.
    I've been trek fans and watched all episodes of TOS,VOY, DS9, ENT when having DVD sets was cool. Somehow I never completed TNT. Now they're on Netflix, I may binge watch during holiday season:)
    Now I'm totally enjoying Discovery. Such complex stories and beautifully shot.
    I'm reading past threads here and still lots to go!
    A bit short intro, but thank you for admitting me.

Night Shade likes this.
  16. Anthony Dawson

Anthony Dawson Lieutenant Red Shirt

Only just joined so wanted to say Hello to everyone and make some introductions
    I'm a long term fan growing up with TOS then watching all subsequent incarnations.

I'd say TNG probably my favourite, then TOS then the later seasons of DS9.
    Favourite captain(s) Picard then Kirk

I'm quite new to all this forum stuff so not much to say yet, but hopefully be chatting more later

Kilana2 likes this.
  17. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome. You'll find a lot of stuff to discuss here!

Anthony Dawson likes this.
  18. Rian Cleary

Rian Cleary Ensign Newbie

Delighted I found this site and have fellow fans to converse with. Love Trek. Grew up on Voyager DS9 and Enterprise and TNG. Personally find STD doesn't have the same feel at all as the aforementioned Trek series. I watch it out of curiosity and would love to see Michael Dorn get his Capt Worf show. Possibly using some of the tech Janeway brought back to be one the first ships to explore the Delta Quadrant post Voyagers return. Live long and prosper all my friends

Ricky, Kilana2 and Delta Vega like this.
  19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome.

Rian Cleary likes this.
  20. Rian Cleary

Rian Cleary Ensign Newbie

Thanks Gary

Gary Mitchell likes this.