List of all Trek episodes by IMDB user rating

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ryan8bit, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

IMDB will usually have an episode listing for each TV show where you can sort by user rating and all that, but what they didn't have was a list of all the Star Trek shows in one big lump. So I made one:

LINK

This link takes you to the list sorted by user rating, but you can sort by other things too (the default order of the list is the airing order). I thought it was interesting to see which ones came up at the top and bottom.

Are there some of these that you think are over or under rated?

From the top 10, I think "The Inner Light" is kinda overrated. Yeah, it's a good episode, but seriously #2 out of all Trek episodes?

From the bottom 10, I didn't think "The Muse" was that terrible, but it's not exactly one I think that fondly of either.

And of course, to add the typical disclaimer, that even though some of these episodes have hundreds or thousands of ratings, I'm thinking that most of the people voting on individual episodes are a little bit more hardcore. So you're bound to see opinions that are common in fandom.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Towards the top I think the tribble episodes are overrated.

Also I'm surprised to see so many Xindi arc eps toward the top.

3. Halifax

Halifax Cadet Newbie

Interesting to see 'the inner light' at number two. It was by far my favorite episode, for me it was a step above the rest. But thats me, never thought others felt that way.
    'the city on the edge of forever' was always my favorite classic episode but now that im watching them over again I think 'return of the archons' is my new official fav.

4. Elaise

Elaise Cadet Newbie

Pretty good list.

5. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

1/4 of the best episodes are from ST: ENT? Interesting.

6. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

I haven't seen any of those DS9, Voyager or ENT episodes.

Good!

I have much to look forward to in my ongoing franchise marathon.

7. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I love Ent, but I found it interesting as well. I'm wondering if it's because the first couple of seasons were so bad that when it started getting good, people just gave it awesome ratings to overcome the crap they just saw. :lol:

8. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

It could be a mix of things.

It could be an unrepresentative sample. Those episodes do have a lot less votes than the others. And generally, I would think, people aren't going to spend their time rating every episode of a show they don't like (obviously some will). So when they frame things in terms of a show they like, they probably vote 10 on the best episodes. They're not framing it against the other Trek shows or other TV in general. And fans of that show may skew younger too.

But then again, it could just be that they're honestly good episodes. I haven't seen "Twilight" since when it aired, and I remembered liking it at the time. I also liked the pilot a lot though, and I tried to watch it recently and couldn't at all get through it.

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Another possibility is that simply the earlier Trek Shows aired when their was no Internet or when the Internet was realtively new.

10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I would agree with the assessment that people who didn't like Enterprise quit before it actually got good.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Replace "Internet" with "IMDB" and that might be the case.

12. USS Pertinax

USS Pertinax Lieutenant Red Shirt

I expected Voyager to get the highest rated episode over ENT.

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poor "Shades of Gray."

14. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Worst episodes:
    1. TNG: Shades of Grey

Serves it right for being almost entirely made of recut footage from previous episodes. That's really all there is to it. I understand that the budget was tight, but the episode itself is an insult.

2. TNG: Sub Rosa

This is my all-time least favorite episode of Trek. I don't know how they could think that Crusher and her grandmother having sex with a ghost candle would be a good idea for an episode. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry at how horrible it was until the spooky green smoke (likely the result of budget money literally being burned on the set) began to fill the bridge. At that point, I realized that it was better to laugh than to waste my time wondering how things had gone so wrong.

3. TNG: Code of Honor

This one gets the "honor" of being the most racist/sexist episode of Trek. Don't take my word for it. Here's what the crew have to say:

"The worst and most embarrassing and one that even Gene would have been embarrassed by was that horrible racist episode from the first season... Code of Honor, oh my God in heaven!" -Jonathan Frakes

"It ["Code of Honor"] was just a racist episode. Maybe not intentionally but it felt that way and looked that way. It was the third episode so it was fortuitous that we did our worst that early on and it never got quite that bad again." -Brent Spiner

"the worst episode of Star Trek ever filmed" -Michael Dorn

15. Willow

Willow Captain Captain

Well, as an Enterprise addict, I am truly pleased at how well "my" little show did! :p

The top Enterprise episodes are all among my favorites in that franchise, as well in all of Trek.

I think I must be the only one who was underwhelmed with City at the Edge of Forever. I actually prefer Amok Time.

I can't comment too much on DS9, as I haven't seen the entire series. I haven't rewatches TNG or DS9 in many years.