Marvel Studios may be planning more MCU for the small screen

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

(MCU = Marvel Cinematic Universe)

I say "may" because Marvel hasn't confirmed anything.

Deadline

Bolding mine.

If true this could be awesome, though I'd rather them not make anything exclusive to any subscription service like Netflix or Amazon.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I hope. I wouldn't mind cross-show characters. Quicksilver in the X-Men movies and Avengers is a start.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4 drama series and a mini-series? The obvious candidate is Agent Carter. Things like Daredevil and The Punisher are crying out for TV treatment too.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm...If it all ends up on TV, it may get a bit crowded. Already have Agents of SHIELD, The Tomorrow People, Arrow, soon to be Flash (plus all the MCU Movies, The XMen, the DC Movies, etc). I think it would definitely be a good idea, if they really are pushing this much "superhero" stuff, that they diversify on different platforms, and not have it strictly on TV, or the market will definitely be over-satiated

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This.

Punisher for something like HBO or Netflix. Daredevil perhaps as a period piece (I've had this notion ever since Joe Carnaghan pitched it as a 70s-in-Hell-Kitchen-set 'ploitation flick). Maybe even team him up with Luke Cage or the like.

6. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be interested in a Hulk series, and not for nostalgia reasons like everyone else. The problem with Hulk on film is that they have to focus on the standard Banner/Hulk dynamic, in which Banner is just this meek guy and Hulk is... well, he isn't a character; he's an event that happens to everyone else. With an ongoing series you can get into more interesting elements.

Punisher is also something much more suited to a tv show than a movie. When you make a Punisher film, you inevitably do his origin, and the movie is about him hunting down the people who killed his family. That's not punishment, it's revenge. In a tv show you start with that and then move on to punishing the rest of the evil-doers.

7. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah Punisher, when done right can be like what Dexter could have been - the titular character taking bad guys down with extreme prejudice. They can even update his origin, make him a Gulf War Vet, still bring in the mob or whatever. Get the 'revenge' out of the way in the pilot or just do it in flashbacks and he's punishing every violent criminal.

I would really try to do a Marvel Knights-esque set of shows - all a bit more... not so squeaky-Disney clean. Far more "Miramax" than "Buena Vista". Punisher would be super super easy to do. Don't need complex sets or anything, just lots of fake blood, squibs and blanks and cool weapons - I'd change the model a bit by giving him some skull themed blades or skull deco on some of the guns, downplay the skull on the shirt a bit. I mean he can still wear it, but in the MCU other than Captain America so far, every other 'super hero' is basically in a far more subtle version of their usual thing.

Then do a Daredevil series set in the same 'universe' blind lawyer who's also a night time vigilante could be pretty cool and for him I would adapt the Affleck Movie costume - I mean really running around in red tights would be cheesy as hell - but at least the red motorcycle suit looked more 'like he ordered it online'.

From there I wouldn't even mind seeing Cloak and Dagger as a series - would give you a cute girl lead and a black kid lead so no one would bitch about Marvel being all lily white - okay so you have a lily white girl in Tandy Bowen, but you could probably change her to latino IF you really had to, as long as she's blonde and pale and stuck up LOL. Although honestly I think it would be a perfect vehicle for say Molly C Quinn (Alexis Castle) but it really couldn't be on ABC at all - otherwise people will go 'when did Alexis become a super hero?) but I think she's got lead potential and she's already in Disney/ABC's wheelhouse. And she's got a fit bod that could look like she's a ballet dancer and came from a upper crust home. Just make her more blonde than red or have the blonde be a wig she wears when she's in costume. Cloak could really be any one honestly, since I think it would work best if the cloak was CGI most of the time. Deal with drug dealers, human trafficking, down and dirty stuff.

And then from there I would go full on Heroes for Hire - introduce Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, Shang-Chi, Luke Cage and Iron Fist and then have her 'hire' Punisher and Daredevil and Cloak and Dagger from time to time - sorta make H for H the 'Avengers' of the small series.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I would be interested in a Daredevil series, but I think Marvel should focus on making on making the one series they have a better series.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think a Damage Control mini could be fun. Imagine setting each episode the day after one of the movies. Ha! In fact, The damage to NYC caused by the events in Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk happened within days of each other. That could make for an amusing story.

10. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see a Heroes for Hire done on cable. Punisher would work too, but I like the possibility for more appearances by characters not planned to be utilized in the films by Heroes for Hire.

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I would like to see a Game of Thrones level, multi-story arc Marvel Knights series on HBO. You follow Punisher, Daredevil, and Electra through their missions. Maybe they clash in New York or something. Other heroes could make appearances every now and then too.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think there's a risk of oversaturation. Then again, it's possible Marvel knows this and just wants to get as much as they can while they can. It's also interesting that the other things aren't necessarily network television. This avoids direct conflict with AoS, but, at the same time, it would probably have a lower budget, which could be very difficult.

A mini-series would be fun and is something viable without risking burnout. Pick some limited story they want to tell, tell it right, and then have people pay for it. It would be an ideal Netflix story.

What's the status on the films they don't have rights to when it comes to live action television? I've heard conflicting things. Is it just that we don't actually know for certain?

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Anyone remember the NYX comic mini series? I think that could be the basis of a pretty good TV series.

Not sure where the rights to it fall though. I mean technically it's about mutants (one of the characters is Wolverine's teenage, female clone....yeah) so it may fall under X-Men and therefore Fox. On the other hand they're all original characters. X-23 could be there without explicitly exploring her backstory.

But yeah, a Punisher series would be great if done right. Say for example, like this!
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc[/yt]

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Ok, Punisher would not have taken that long to destroy that group. I saw Tom Jane's Punisher but I don't remember that scene (or Ron Perlman being in it). Was that a promo or something?

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The way Agents of Shield's ratings are dropping then I think Marvel may want to rethink this idea.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Thomas Jane basically made this as a labour of love, it was filmed after Punisher War Zone, by which time he'd been replaced by Ray Stevenson. It was made for conventions and the web for a bit of fun.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Taking his time talking them apart like that was kinda the point. He was *punishing* them. ;)

18. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I do, and the only good thing in it was X-23.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be more than happy if Captain America made it to the small screen even without the movie cast. It worked for Stargate. The special effects need be no fancier than on Agents of SHIELD and there are a host of low-powered heroic characters from the comics who would fit in just fine (Falcon, Nomad, Demolition Man, Sharon, Diamondback, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Red Skull & the Skeleton Crew, the Serpent Society etc). A four issue series while Cap takes on the Serpent Society could be great fun! As long as their snakey costumes are based on the proper snake's skins instead of primary colours...

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I know the drop from one to two, but what's the drop been since then?