Ultimate Canon poll

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ensign_Redshirt, Feb 25, 2009.

?

Which of these do you consider Canon?

1. Star Trek: The Animated Series

58 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

78 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. "Threshold" (Star Trek: Voyager episode)

61 vote(s)
    58.7%
  4. Star Trek: Enterprise

77 vote(s)
    74.0%
  5. Star Trek XI

51 vote(s)
    49.0%
  6. Star Trek: New Voyages/Star Trek: Phase II

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

THat pretty much covers it.

2. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks; that seems pretty clear. Why do people have trouble with that? I once assumed the above and got corrected by someone who's kind of an authority around here.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Everything except New Voyages and Of Gods and Men.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

When I start getting a paycheck from CBS, I'll let you know.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My canon consists of The Cage, the novel Ishmael and the Gold Key comic run (except issue 58).

Really is a silly question. We tend to include what we like.

6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least Gold Key comics had command tunics the "right" color.:)

7. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Didn't The Great Bird himself once say that only what made onto the screen was canon? Didn't he even disavow TAS as canon?

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TAS: I don't consider it to be in my own personal canon, I didn't think it was that good and The Magicks of Megas-Tu ruined any idea in my mind that it should be part of the canon.

TFF: I think it is the worst of the Trek movies and has some questionable canon issues due to the speed at which they got to the galactic center, but it is still in the canon.

Threshold: I debated this one and decided not to include it in my own personal canon. I can live with a crap episode, but a crap episode with so much incorrect science, failing logic and the fact is was never referenced again... it just cannot make the grade.

Enterprise: It has some canon issues, but it is in the canon.

XI: I have yet to see it but my understanding is that it is a divergent timeline, so it is its own canon.

New Voyages/Of Gods and Men: I don't consider fan episodes to be in the canon.

9. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

TFF: I think it is the worst of the Trek movies and has some questionable canon issues due to the speed at which they got to the galactic center, but it is still canon.

The worst movie? Nemesis takes the cake there. I know of some of the continuity issues with Frontier, Sybok chief among them; but I'll take Sybok over a cloned Picard any day of the week.

And, on an aside? Sybok was a far better character (and brought to live by a far better actor) than Shinzon. I didn't think a STAR TREK character could be as inept as the bozo from Insurrection until Shinzon came along.

Rob

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ You have your opinions and I have mine. :) And I'm only talking about my own personal canon, my opinions aren't going to affect what happens to future Trek productions.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Canon: like it or not, it's everything, but not TAS, fan productions, games or novels.

12. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Good point. And yes, it call comes down to personal opinion. :techman:

Rob

13. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

They're all canonuity except for TAS* & those 2 on the bottom.

Those Gods'n'Men & V'GER items:confused:

Those PB books, videogames, comix?

Aficionado-defined "canonuity" is really fanonuity:hugegrin:

*STPTB contemptuously decide what's canonuity or not from TAS depending on if & how it helps them.

So, isn't TAS's canonuity really in a state of flux:confused:

14. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

how is TAS beating STXI

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  15. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I agree. The only thing I checked off was the new movie, because that's the only thing happening right now. Once the film after this one comes out, the current film will cease to be canon, except insofar as it gives people good ideas for the next story they want to tell.

16. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Damn son:brickwall:

I should've voted for TAS:brickwall:

:wtf:! I wasn't thinking :eek:

17. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

True, but just as not everyone is a Catholic, not everyone is a Paramountie. Or whatever. :p

18. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

I see no option for Galaxy Quest, the best Trek movie since The Undiscovered Country....

19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i must admit my idea of canon would be some of everything that doesn't contradict itself ( most of the time).
    I'm of the opinion that everyone has their own version of canon and nothing will change their stance. like some will treat tas as canon whilst others wouldn't. to me it's all trek which for the most part is good.

20. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

If you find yourself debating whether something is canon, then canon isn't really what you're debating. If you find yourself talking about personal canon, then canon isn't what you're talking about. Canon, in the context of movies, TV series, etc, is decided by the people who run the show, not by the fans. We don't have a say. You can choose to have a personal continuity, in which you include or exclude various shows or books or computer games or whatever. But that's not a canon because no one is bound by it, no authority enforces it, and only you know what's in it.

Jeri Taylor's Voyager novels were canon only while she was a producer on Voyager. When she left, the producers no longer paid attention to what her books established. They are not now canon. Neither are any other books.

Fan films? Not canon. No chance. Doesn't matter who writes them or who guest stars in them, they aren't productions of the company that has the exclusive legal right to produce filmed Star Trek.

Not that it really matters any more. There's no one left to make canon rulings on much of anything other than the new movie. I doubt Abrams et al. care about the post-TOS TV series much, and they waffle like crazy on the Countdown comic. In Orci's words: "As you know I considered some of the books, in my mind, to be of character canon. And some of them in between the movies to possibly be even possible candidates for canon, until some other movie comes along and makes those impossible. That is my personal view, but I am not going to declare whether comics are canon."