Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I expect it'll drop over time. I remember Xbox 360 and PS3 games being around £45.99 or more when they first launched. then came down, with Wii coming out around £40 and dropping over time too. I expect the same will happen with the Wii U. But I'm with you, I refuse to pay more than £35-40.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Where do you guys live? Brand new PS3/XBOX games are always $60 around here and have been for years.

3. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I was looking to replace my Wii for the reason of having the Wii-U upscaling all the Wii games to a better res, i know they wont be HD but a sharper crisper Wii game would have been nice.

But i will have to wait till it drops down in price.....cant justify that £250 for the basic bundle alone......and i'm tight. :lol:

4. Bob The Skutter

In the UK, but what you have to remember is they're basically making extra money out of us at the £40-45 mark. $60 is around £35, so over the years to stay competitive retailers have moves it to closer to actual exchange rate.

It apparently doesn't upscale in the PAL regions. It's locked to SD progressive. If I remember what I read. So it looks better than Wii on the standard AV cable but isn't scaled to HD.
    I luckily got my 32gb version for £199, otherwise I wouldn't have it. And I've just picked up ZombiU for £29.99.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just use Dolphin for 1080p goodness. Sure, it's technically illegal to download the games, but if you already own them it's a victimless crime. Check out this video of Super Smash Bros. Brawl running at 720p.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEwDsssA94[/yt]

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

D'oh! I didn't see that you guys were using the pound sign (which I am now realizing I don't have the faintest idea how to type).

7. Bob The Skutter

Can't remember on US Keyboards think you have to use Character map. easy on UK keyboards it's just shift+3

8. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Tried that a while back but my PC would not read the game discs so that was that.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, and I thought prices in Canada were bad. I do remember in the early 90's paying over $80 for a primitive animation software, something which would be considered in the range of $60 today.

I guess this could be part of the reason why the EU is getting better PS+ game selections than in NA, in trying to make it up to people.

10. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

Both of these figures are from the respective Wikipedia pages (under units sold on the side bar) where the footnotes for the figures are straight from Nintendo's and Sony's websites.

Nintendo DS: 153.67 million (as of end of 2012)
    Playstation 2: 153.6 million (as of November 2011)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_2

Granted the PS2 figure is a bit out of date, but I can't imagine they've sold much in the last year or so.

11. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

That's pretty impressive, especially considering the PCSX2 is still a bit of a mixed bag.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

70€ is actually about £60 not £80

13. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah you're right, sorry about that. ;)

14. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Language confusion!

In the USA, this "#" is also occasionally called the "pound sign" and is also made with Shift+3.

But since you're talking this "£" yes, we have to use the Character Map or else type ALT+0163 on the number keypad.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So what is Shift-4 on an UK keyboard? It's the $ sign for US, seems like that'd have been used for the £. Also, does 24# mean 24 pounds in the UK?

16. Bob The Skutter

Shift-3 is £, Shift-4 is $. And nope £24 would be 24 pounds. # would be hash to us.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The number 4 key on a UK keyboard has a third funtion. If you use the Alt Gr key you get the euro sign €. Use of the Alt Gr key also gets you á é í ó ú when you use the vowels.

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This Gr key seems magical. I want one.

19. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

His question (I believe) is not "does 24# mean 24 pounds (money) in the UK?" but rather "does 24# mean 24 pounds (weight) in the UK?"

In the USA, if someone writes 24#, it means "24 pounds of weight".

EDIT:

Found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign#Usage_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland

20. Bob The Skutter

Yep, Pound in weight would be lb or lbs, number would be No. That about sums it up.