The era of the next series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Gaius, Mar 21, 2012.

?

The next series should take place

1. before the events of ENT.

2.3%
  2. between the events of ENT and TOS.

20.9%
  3. between the events of TOS and TNG.

11.6%
  4. after the events of VOY.

65.1%
  1. Gaius

Gaius Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Which era should the next Star Trek series take place in? Please vote and explain your choice.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

A prequil to TOS. One which throws canon to the wind instead of Kirk under a bus. A reimagined Enterprise or between Archer and Kirk or there abouts but without a mention to either or even what time theoretically it's in. Let the audience guess.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Another remake of TOS. This time it'll be an animated version aimed at kids from 6-11 with more "superhero-style" versions of Kirk and gang and an even more tricked out NCC-1701.

4. Sjaddix

Sjaddix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Move Forward in the Timeline. It just makes more sense part of the problem with going back is u end up with a ship that looks more advanced then Voyager when Voyager suppose to be a 100 years later or so.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Between ENT and TOS. I want to see the adventures of the USS Kelvin with Captain Robau and his trusty first officer, George Kirk.

6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I'd like to see a series during the TOS era (not a remake, but another ship), since there is so much to explore (show me a Saladin, and make me happy) but I'm worried they'd fudge things up in the canon.

7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Separate from the quagmire of mangled timelines & canon & move decisively forward into the undiscovered country. One might even say to boldly go

8. Sjaddix

Indeed Boldly Go Into the Future.

9. Overmind

Overmind Ensign Newbie

After Voyager. I want to explore technology.
    What happend to those freed holograms?
    Where will the AI end. Make the Adversary a civilization of an AI and holograms. And of course, to boldly go...:)

10. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

After Voyager. That way you could have all the previous series discoveries and technology available for story use and even guest star appearances by characters from TNG, DS9, & Voyager.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Either move toward the 25th century, or between ENT and TOS.

12. Sjaddix

AI Rights was the dumbest thing. The Doctor was unique thanks to 29th Century tech. Other AI not so much.

13. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Puh-lease let Trek go where B&B have never gone before: the future!

14. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Junk the canon - all of it! Just call the show Star Trek and go back to basics. Let it be to the current era what TOS was to the Sixties. I'd go with a reinvented Pike or a new character as captain. It could be set in the mid-23rd century or in an unspecified future age. Most of all, the show should know its target audience. If it doesn't appeal to a general family audience then it's doin' something wrong.

15. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Do we HAVE to do something related to the series that already have existed? Can't we do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT?

16. Sjaddix

The new movies already do that. We don't need uncontrolled expansion of the number of universes.

17. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

It it was completely different would it still be a Star Trek series? I think not!:lol:

18. Overmind

Overmind Ensign Newbie

I kind of agree. The best thing would be if EMH markI had stayed markI and becoming sentient because of the circumstances. And the rest of the holos doing ther jobs and staying happily ignorant.
    But alass. The road is layed, multiple sentient holos are canon, like it or not. In postVOY series there may be EMH marX. AIs getting smarter and holo/replicator/transporter technology becoming wastly more advanced. It can hardly be ignored. So the best way to end it would be going all the way and making them the adversary. With the series conclusion outlawing selfaware programs.

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why not make it contemporary with TOS? The crew of some other starship, not the Enterprise. That strikes me as having the greatest potential to profit from the movie publicity. As far as story content goes, any of those eras could work, so I'm not going to choose on that basis.

Considering that the poll spans "before ENT" to "after VOY," that's the whole span of time. What other era were you thinking of?

20. I think who you choose as the show-runner, and how hands-off (or on) the studio is, is what really matters.

Talented writers want to do great risk-taking stuff.

Mediocre or hack writers want to do safe stuff.

Studios generally want to do safe stuff.

Give a guy like Ira Behr, and guys like Ron Moore, Hans Beimler, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, etc, a little freedom, and they popped out something unlike any ST before or since.