DS9 DVD playback problems?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by dub, Mar 5, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay, I know I'm very late to the game on this (as in a DECADE late), so I apologize -- but did any of my fellow Niners have problems with the DS9 DVDs? I purchased the set a couple of months ago which was new, but I'm having trouble playing some video on some of the DVDs (again, brand new and no visible scratches). I tried them in my bluray player, DVD player, plus 2 DVD roms on 2 different computers -- same problems. Most play just fine, but at least two of them are faulty. I'm also surprised at the flimsy packaging. It all looks very cool, but the glue loosely holding the DVD holders to the individual binders was surprising. I've read about similar issues on other forums, but I think there are more people on this forum which is why I'm bringing it up here. At the very least I'm hoping I didn't get burned with a bootleg copy. But my main issue is some of the DVDs freezing up or not playing properly. Anybody else have similar issues? I suppose they could be starting to rot since they're practically antiques now (haha).

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

From the description of the packaging (glue??), i suspect you may have a bootleg set. As far as I know, DS9 season DVD sets come in black clamshell boxes with hinged jewel cases inside, or (as I have) several slimline DVD cases, each holding 2 discs.

I had a bootleg of Stargate SG-1 once. Youtube-quality video, typos on the box, tissue paper-like disc sleeves, episodes abuptly cutting to credits mid-sentence...

3. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I think King Daniel is right, it sounds like you have a bootleg set.

I have the offcial 2003 releases, and on a re-watch last fall (on a DVD recorder that I did not have back then), all the disks were fine.

My issue with the sets were the cheap plastic used to house the disks. They mostly fell apart within a year, except for season seven, which finally fell apart during my recent re-watch. But, I solved that problem with a few hundred miles of scotch tape.

4. dub

Yeah, they are jewel cases in a clamshell. The jewel cases are glued to the clamshell. The glue does not hold up well apparently. But really, the quality everywhere else shows no obvious sign of bootleg. If it is a bootleg, they went over-the-top to make these look authentic.

5. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The only problem I had with the DVDs was that the lipsynch of Sons of Mogh was off.

6. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

What Region are you in? Here in America (Region 1), they were released in trays wrapped in flimsy plastic. I think the clamshell sets were released in Region 2, but I don't know this for a fact.

7. dub

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm...My Sets are actually at my mother's right, since I loaned tem to her when I went shopping for her last month.

I could've sworn the trays that hold the discs form a book?

I bought them brand new Region 1 from Amazon.

I've watched them three times so far, and only problem I have is a problem I caused myself, one disc (I popped a disc into the DVD player, not noticing a disc was already in there, and it scratched up the DS9 discs, now, only 2 episodes play all the way through, the other two episodes freeze up whEre the scratch is.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was going to post a topic about the packaging the other day but figured it wouldn't get much traction. Still, it seems like every time I touch the set the packaging breaks even more. I'm almost tempted to buy the blu ray sets just to get better packaging because the stuff they used back in 2003 sucks. My Season 2 set is pretty much done in terms of how much the packaging has torn off (And I'm pretty gentle).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  10. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

Honestly I have problem with one disc, which is visibly faulty (it has a little ring type error on the disc).

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The only disk I had a problem playing was the one containing the episode Let He Who Is Without Sin. It won't play a the beginning of the episode without freezing. i loathe that episode anyways so that never bugged me.

12. Muldfeld

Muldfeld Ensign Red Shirt

dub, I've owned the sets since 2004-2005, and -- while I rarely watch them -- I've never had any problems with watching the DVDs. If you can, try asking the seller to replace the sets. Amazon will do it within 30 days, and CD Universe is more lenient about it.

13. Muldfeld

Muldfeld Ensign Red Shirt

I've always suspected this could happen, but thought I might be paranoid.

The packaging is beautiful, but I wish they'd found another way to make these more durable. Also, Paramount were cheap jerks on the bonus features.

14. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

I bought my DVDs when they first were released and never had any problems playing them. My only issues with the sets were the incredibly flimsy cases which began falling apart almost immediately, the stingy amount of bonus content, and complete lack of audio commentaries. I expected a little more for a hundred dollars a season.

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Two of my seasons have tape on them to hold them together, but every single disc still plays fine. Thank goodness. :)

16. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had some issues with Season 2 (Europe). Didn't ruin the experience, but was a bit annoying. DVDs are genuine and from the same source as all the other seasons that were fine. Oh well.